what body do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you only use film? I was very pleased with the the quality that my Yashica turned out for it being at least 26yr old. I keep looking at other film cameras now :lol:

No, not only now. Have Horseman swd and Cambo wds

But the quality you can get out of something like 6x9 and a good scan will still beat DSLR, as well as having that nicer 'look' of film

Just the film expense that many are put off by. Not realising that they spend huge amounts on the digi gear they rarely use, when they could pick up film gear cheap

think i'll probably go to the 7D then make the step up to FF at soonest in a years time.

Nikon D2X, on the basis that Canons are for gays.

Would sooner get a used pro body than a new prosumer, personally. Not for image quality, but for build. When I drop my camera, there's usually more damage to the floor.

Dunno about Canon, but the higher end Nikon bodies are also way more compatible with virtually every Nikon lens. If I mount a non-CPU lens, I just need to 'tell' the camera what it is and it works perfectly.

None, hence my comment about the cost difference. Even if they still work after 10 years (which is unlikely) nobody wants to use old digital cameras. I reckon people spend far more now on photography than they ever did before, despite claims to the contrary.

Obviously upgrading bodies is more important in digital as sensor technology improves, but I still reckon investing in lenses is always going to make more sense in the long term as they will hold their value, especially within systems that have good futureproofing (eg Nikon). Good glass is good glass.

I know what you're saying, but not sure if I 100% agree.

People are taking great pictures today, so while future iterations of cameras will have improved sensors, screens, features etc., the cameras of today are still capable of great images.

If you look at the best Pro DSLRs today v the best of 3 or 4 years ago, the only quantum leap is in video recording.

Nikon D2X, on the basis that Canons are for gays.

Would sooner get a used pro body than a new prosumer, personally. Not for image quality, but for build. When I drop my camera, there's usually more damage to the floor.

Dunno about Canon, but the higher end Nikon bodies are also way more compatible with virtually every Nikon lens. If I mount a non-CPU lens, I just need to 'tell' the camera what it is and it works perfectly.

I know what you're saying, but not sure if I 100% agree.

People are taking great pictures today, so while future iterations of cameras will have improved sensors, screens, features etc., the cameras of today are still capable of great images.

If you look at the best Pro DSLRs today v the best of 3 or 4 years ago, the only quantum leap is in video recording.

True, maybe it is plateau-ing somewhat. I have a number of Nikon lenses and have been thinking for a while about getting a digital body to use with them, but I'm enjoying film too much and the desire to add a dSLR is if anything getting smaller. But if in a couple of years I can pick up a D3 for peanuts I might go for it.

Do you only use film? I was very pleased with the quality that my Yashica turned out for it being at least 26yr old. I keep looking at other film cameras now :lol:

That's medium format for you. My Yashica TLR is from 1960 and it can produce astounding results too. It is addictive like - film cameras are so cheap these days it's almost silly not to. Just be careful you don't end up with too many...

True enough. The pixel race has hit the wall with these camera giants stuck with their small formats and small sensors

Yous are all outa my league.
I'm just getting me head round the massive difference after jumping from me old trusty a200 to the a580. Never mind full frame.
In saying that, shoot in Raw and I'm quite blown away with the quality of the Sony.

washingtonwallah said:
I'm just getting me head round the massive difference after jumping from me old trusty a200 to the a580. Never mind full frame.
In saying that, shoot in Raw and I'm quite blown away with the quality of the Sony.

All the gear and no idea mate. The best camera is the one you've got with you.

And all the other clichés :) Sony gear is class mate. Dinnit be put off cos of the gear arms race here (collecting gear is a separate hobby from taking photos) ;)

That's medium format for you. My Yashica TLR is from 1960 and it can produce astounding results too. It is addictive like - film cameras are so cheap these days it's almost silly not to. Just be careful you don't end up with too many...

I should have my Sigma 120-300 2.8 sold tomorrow, and I am already looking at other medium format film cameras :lol: . The only problem with the Yashica would be not being able to use ND grads, and the awkward use of a polariser. The Mamiya 645 Pro has caught my attention and there are some cracking examples for sale at decent prices, that would still leave me a decent chunk of change from selling my lens in my pocket. It's just telling our lass that is the problem. :lol: I think I will get a lot more satisfaction out of photography using film rather than digital.

I should have my Sigma 120-300 2.8 sold tomorrow, and I am already looking at other medium format film cameras :lol: . The only problem with the Yashica would be not being able to use ND grads, and the awkward use of a polariser. The Mamiya 645 Pro has caught my attention and there are some cracking examples for sale at decent prices, that would still leave me a decent chunk of change from selling my lens in my pocket. It's just telling our lass that is the problem. :lol: I think I will get a lot more satisfaction out of photography using film rather than digital.

I don't see how 645 will give you more than the yashica apart from better choice of lenses

Go larger :)

Hand holding filters is possible on any camera of course... Hard gards for a lens that size, but hard grads are what you want anyway

And all the other clichés :) Sony gear is class mate. Dinnit be put off cos of the gear arms race here (collecting gear is a separate hobby from taking photos) ;)

Totally, I find myself still adding equipment even though i'm taking less photos :oops:

Totally, I find myself still adding equipment even though i'm taking less photos :oops:
this. I was telling Steeeed and Ayesane last night I was wanting a zoom lens and in particular a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM II and as the words were coming out I was thinking to myself......I do, but I don't need it, but I do, I don't!!!!!

this. I was telling Steeeed and Ayesane last night I was wanting a zoom lens and in particular a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM II and as the words were coming out I was thinking to myself......I do, but I don't need it, but I do, I don't!!!!!
:lol: I was on the verge of busing the Nikon equivelant but I had a reality check. Instead I asked the mrs for the Sigma version of the same lens which is really well reviewed. To my astonishment I opened up the box and there is was.... Only when I looked for the image stabilisation buttons on the side and there weren't any. Only bought me the wrong bloody one didn't she :lol:

Didn't have the heart (or bottle) to tell her mind, and its still a great lens.

You're right ha, like I said I'm blown away with me Sony. Mind you, I've spent a little too much on new glass, but yous all know that its worth it

washingtonwallah said:

I know a lad with the a580 (think Clyde uses one too?) and he swears by it, lovely bit of kit. I use a Panasonic gf2 lumix and am very happy with it (for the time being).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back