what body do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oROSSo

Striker
Staff member
Seem to have a problem with spending money.

I've got it into my head that I want a new body, was looking at a 7D. Just been looking through some reviews when i stumbled across comparison shots of the 7D up against the 5D ii. Instantly this made me want to spend a little more on the 5D ii as I was blown away with the picture quality difference.

Reading up on crop/full frame sensors etc and it seems i'd be stuck with 16mm for my tokina if I was to bite the bullet and step up.

Do you lot use crop or full frames?

7D here and love it, although I have been thinking about a 1D Mk4 but can't justify the cash with my limited experience. Maybe next year ...

550D, only due to cash. I think my next stop will be a 5D Mk2 now that they are going to be lower in cost due to the newer model.

7d here, love it also. It's amazing.

I think if I upgraded I would move across to Nikon. BUT, for my needs the 7d is far and away good enough atm, it's a much better camera then I am fotograffer (c) IHBB.

incidentally, IHBB uses both the 7d and the mkii.

5D II. Full frame, all the way :-D

what did you upgrade from?

I think if I upgraded I would move across to Nikon. BUT, for my needs the 7d is far and away good enough atm, it's a much better camera then I am fotograffer (c) IHBB.

both are gonna be way above my level but I've got a bit of cash and if I risk getting it from the likes of procamerashop, and minus the VAT I can get a 7D for around £800 and a 5D ii for around £1050

I had a 1D Mk3 and bought a 5D Mk1 (still a cracking camera) as I wanted to try full frame. It impressed me that much I went and bought a 5D II as I liked the idea of live view. The 1D 3 sat in my bag unused for 12 months, so I decided to sell it on. I just have the 5D II now.

Last edited:
I had a 1D Mk3 and bought a 5D Mk1 (still a cracking camera) as I wanted to try full frame. It impressed me that much I went and bought a 5D II as I liked the idea of live view. The 1D 3 sat in my bag unused for 12 months, so I decided to sell it on. I just have the 5D II now.

was expecting an entry level DSLR :lol:

ever had one?

I have a 600D at the moment, but as soon as finance allows I could be very tempted by the 5D III

Check out the Nikon D800 way before staying loyal to Canon.. I like Canon kit but the d800 from Nikon seems to embarrass the 5D mk III a little..

was expecting an entry level DSLR :lol:

ever had one?

:lol: Yes mate, started with a 300D, 20D, 40D, 1D Mk2, 1D Mk3, 5D Mk1, 5D MkII. I mainly shot motorsport, hence going to 1D bodies (weather sealing and fast focus), then started getting interested in landscapes, so eventually went for full frame in the end.

Probably wasted too much money upgrading camera bodies looking back :lol:

Still learning :lol:

:lol: Yes mate, started with a 300D, 20D, 40D, 1D Mk2, 1D Mk3, 5D Mk1, 5D MkII. I mainly shot motorsport, hence going to 1D bodies (weather sealing and fast focus), then started getting interested in landscapes, so eventually went for full frame in the end.

Probably wasted too much money upgrading camera bodies looking back :lol:

Still learning :lol:

So just a couple then? :lol:

Your like me with computers.

ayesane said:

I certainly do. The 5d II is class, but I love the 7d's handling and my sigma to much to give it up :) 5dMK III might be VERY tempting once I save up. It will canon the chance to fix the light leak on it..

I've had 350d - 40d - 7d (and occasionally 5dmkiii) tbh I've stepped off the upgrading my body treadmill now. In the process of getting fancy little red lines round my lenses ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly do. The 5d II is class, but I love the 7d's handling and my sigma to much to give it up :) 5dMK III might be VERY tempting once I save up. It will canon the chance to fix the light leak on it..

I've had 350d - 40d - 7d (and occasionally 5dmkiii) tbh I've stepped off the upgrading my body treadmill now. In the process of getting fancy little red lines round my lenses ;)

Glass is the right way to go IMO. Good quality lenses seem to hold value better than camera bodies.

Might go for the 7D, start adding EF lenses then eventually go for the 5D iii in a few years.

My own advice would be to get as much as you possibly can from your current body before upgrading. You say you have it in your head that you want a new body, but why? Does the current body limit / hinder you in any way? Is it likely that a new body will improve your photography? You put more into the picture than the camera. This is in no way a comment on your own ability btw.

You may be able to answer these questions, if so, grand, fill your boots.

Personally, I've realised what my body can't do but I know it's very strong in other areas / meets my needs. I'd be looking at circa £800 to upgrade body, then God knows what on lenses that can do the body justice. So right now I'm sticking with what I've got.

I've also just realised that this in no way answers your question but I've typed it now so you're getting it :lol:

On a pretty shitty Pentax K-r at the moment but might upgrade to a 5d mkii in a few months as the price is looking pretty good. Or might wait and get a Nikon d800 or the mkiii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back