What’s the most money you’ve ever owed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I m from an era when debt was a dirty word. Apart from the mortgage if you hadn’t got it - you didn’t spend it.

I ve never ever borrowed a penny - my credit card is covered before I spend on it and paid off in full every month - it’s just convenient to use that’s all.

Cars , holidays, clothes , nights out - all covered before bought. Ok - it was a Ford Cortina. Ok it was Skegness. Ok it was mums old suite.

But guess what - we were happy and together and not the slightest hint of worry about paying things off.

the culture of folk ‘needing’ everything from top phones, clothes, cars etc etc despite having feck all needs to change.
Everythings a pissing competition now thanks to social media.

About £35K via a joint & several guarantee on a loan following a business failure. Eventually managed to negotiate with the bank and paid a lot less than that to clear it.

about 50k in my 30's, relationship breakdown followed by powder habit, well over them both now

Never owed a penny,not even catalogue or credit card,only mortgage,neither a borrower nor a lender be is the old adage.
Only a mortgage :D

ffs so quite a bit of money that you’ve borrowed then?
I m from an era when debt was a dirty word. Apart from the mortgage if you hadn’t got it - you didn’t spend it.

I ve never ever borrowed a penny - my credit card is covered before I spend on it and paid off in full every month - it’s just convenient to use that’s all.

Cars , holidays, clothes , nights out - all covered before bought. Ok - it was a Ford Cortina. Ok it was Skegness. Ok it was mums old suite.

But guess what - we were happy and together and not the slightest hint of worry about paying things off.
Another one :D

apart from the mortgage :D
Not counting mortgages or business loans?
Mortgages are a debt mate.

Last edited:
I once borrowed £800 from a mate and paid it back a couple of weeks later. Apart from that maybe a pint or two when I've missed my round.

the culture of folk ‘needing’ everything from top phones, clothes, cars etc etc despite having feck all needs to change.
Everythings a pissing competition now thanks to social media.

Absolutely agree , the consumer treadmill is moving apace.

The holiday in the Maldives , the Evoque second car ( a must have for the school run ) is all part of the current dick waving , fanny fluttering “ look at me “ lifestyles.

And of course costing much more than the actual price due to interest.

And despite the outward appearance of wealth and prosperity it’s causing severe and self inflicted stress, anxiety and suicide.One unexpected sprog , a job loss, recession and the whole charade comes tumbling down.

What a sad place these people live in where they measure people ,even friends ,by their material possessions and not their soul.

Only a mortgage :D

ffs so quite a bit of money that you’ve borrowed then?

Another one :D

apart from the mortgage :D

Mortgages are a debt mate.

Mortgages are secured debt. Its backed up by an assets thats worth more (in most caes) So on a personal balance sheet you'd still be in the black

£8799 on a 0% finance deal for a car. Could have paid it up front but the savings were making money so pointless losing money when the credit was effectively free. Scarily though I have more available credit on my credit card than I bought my house for.

What was the real price of the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back