Wembley of the North

Status
Not open for further replies.

robref

Midfield
Just after seeing some pics of Roker Park, got me thinking about Bob Murrays plans to build a new stadium next to Nissan, Wembley of the North as it was called at the time. Finally it was thrown out after objections by Nissan, who i think said they wanted the land themselves.
I remember plans being drawn up and artist impressions of it being posted to all supporters. Does anyone have any pictures of this?

And the referendum for it was like a Russian one, the question was not do you support the stadium move , it was, do you support SAFC plans for the future?

I was "for" the Nissan move at the time. :oops: Looking back it would have been awful. Credit to Bob in getting it right in the end. :-D

I remember the referendum leaflets the club sent out, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't it also include an artists impression of what Roker Park would have looked like if we'd redeveloped? I could be wrong like, I was only a young'un at the time so I may have been high on push-pops and just imagined it.

I remember the referendum leaflets the club sent out, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't it also include an artists impression of what Roker Park would have looked like if we'd redeveloped? I could be wrong like, I was only a young'un at the time so I may have been high on push-pops and just imagined it.

:lol:

I forgot about push-pops.

What the fuck was it with Murray? Wanted to have "Wembley" but settled for Benfica instead.

I went on a school trip to roker park when this was happening, they had a full massive model built and it was in one of the room in roker park i have pics of it somewhere. It looked very impressive, glad it worked out as it did the move to that far out of town wouldve been terrible.

Seems reminiscent of Highbury to an extent - would already be outdated now. There is no way they would've been able to get a 40,000 seater ground on the Roker site.

Would if they totally redeveloped as 3 sides of the ground had ample space.

I used to sit in the family enclosure at Roker Park and in the half time canteen room thingy (where they had t he subbuteo boards) there was a scaled model of the stadium in a glass cabinet. I remember thinking it looked awesome! Wonder whatever happened to it?

They wrote to all of us season ticket holders with the plans and said if you didnt object in writing that you agreed with the plans. It got something like a 98.5% yes vote. Stange that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back