Well...sorry about that, I think

Just got back to the hotel (getting old and I'm leaving to drive home after breakfast, so thought it'd be better packing tonight, although one worn Ipswich shirt and two pairs of pants don't seem a lot).

I've enjoyed the sojourn up here. Good hotel, great room and WiFi and that. Last night's dinner was lovely. The walk this morning, the bacon cob with brown sauce and tea so strong it could've cracked pavements. The pints watching the footy results yesterday (Norwich got lucky, but then I guess so did we), a chat with a couple of Sunderland fans who kindly wished me well, even if they didn't think we'd win on Sunday.

The game, well. You saw it as much as I did. I thought we'd get battered in the first twenty minutes. But it was a funny sort of game. No real urgency to anything, except our defending, which at times was a bit too urgent. I liked Ekwah in your midfield, but Clarke, for all his talent, is a bit of a moaning old minnie and Roberts kept trying to take us all on by himself.

The first half looked like petering out to a solid 0-0 for us, until Broadhead got his leg to a hopeful shot and diverted it into the corner and we celebrated, stunned and relieved all at the same time. We looked better in the second half for the first 20 minutes but then, after George Hirst's smasher and a blatant penalty missed following Chaplin's chip from halfway on to the bar, and the sending-off, we went back into our shell again.

13 minutes seemed like a lifetime. I never thought I'd write that. I've had much quicker (and even more fraught) shags, but we held on. I think the general feeling was we'd 'spawned' it. Certainly the home fans I saw as I walked back thought so. They saw my shirt and were adamant we'd had one over on them. It never felt nasty or threatening though.

So I guess it's an apology, although I'm chuffed we won, obviously. But, like I said before, a funny game. It all seemed very laboured and a bit slow. I did wonder if I'd had me pre-match pint spiked. I hope we get better (we started slowly last season so it might just be our thing). You should be top 6 but I think you need a couple of players, especially up front. Hope Stewart's achilles is on the mend. It's been a blast of a weekend, and I haven't regretted any of it.
Safe journey home tomorrow

Just got back to the hotel (getting old and I'm leaving to drive home after breakfast, so thought it'd be better packing tonight, although one worn Ipswich shirt and two pairs of pants don't seem a lot).

I've enjoyed the sojourn up here. Good hotel, great room and WiFi and that. Last night's dinner was lovely. The walk this morning, the bacon cob with brown sauce and tea so strong it could've cracked pavements. The pints watching the footy results yesterday (Norwich got lucky, but then I guess so did we), a chat with a couple of Sunderland fans who kindly wished me well, even if they didn't think we'd win on Sunday.

The game, well. You saw it as much as I did. I thought we'd get battered in the first twenty minutes. But it was a funny sort of game. No real urgency to anything, except our defending, which at times was a bit too urgent. I liked Ekwah in your midfield, but Clarke, for all his talent, is a bit of a moaning old minnie and Roberts kept trying to take us all on by himself.

The first half looked like petering out to a solid 0-0 for us, until Broadhead got his leg to a hopeful shot and diverted it into the corner and we celebrated, stunned and relieved all at the same time. We looked better in the second half for the first 20 minutes but then, after George Hirst's smasher and a blatant penalty missed following Chaplin's chip from halfway on to the bar, and the sending-off, we went back into our shell again.

13 minutes seemed like a lifetime. I never thought I'd write that. I've had much quicker (and even more fraught) shags, but we held on. I think the general feeling was we'd 'spawned' it. Certainly the home fans I saw as I walked back thought so. They saw my shirt and were adamant we'd had one over on them. It never felt nasty or threatening though.

So I guess it's an apology, although I'm chuffed we won, obviously. But, like I said before, a funny game. It all seemed very laboured and a bit slow. I did wonder if I'd had me pre-match pint spiked. I hope we get better (we started slowly last season so it might just be our thing). You should be top 6 but I think you need a couple of players, especially up front. Hope Stewart's achilles is on the mend. It's been a blast of a weekend, and I haven't regretted any of it.

Ipswich have 2 strikers....we have one ....that was the margin ! ...well played though !

Looks as though we will have to wait till September for our season to start , not like we have had all Sumner to get strikers in ....very frustrating 😠

My god….a thoughtful and balanced view on the game.
We don’t need your sort here.
Where are your uninformed and clueless reactions?
That is the norm around these parts.

Now….take your sense and have a safe journey home.

Glad you enjoyed your weekend. I thought Roberts had little option but to try to take on your whole side as no one seemed eager to get over there and support him. You were penned in first 15, but we didnt really create anything, and then the goal :( we all knew that would happen. You were on top second half but sitting back and wasting time nearly caught you out, is there some virus in your team as a lot of them just seemed to fall over in the second half?

I thought Ipswich number 5 was a good player, very tidy, and seemed to be the one who held us at bay the first 25 minutes

Always in the right place, directed play well, linked up well. I will have a look and see who he was. Short and stockyish

Glad you enjoyed your day mate . Nothing new at SOL to get turned over against the early run of play , wont be the last time this season . If we don't get a striker firing we'll be no where near top six. Lower mid table team thats easy on the eye but cant create clear chances or convert and leaks at the back at present .

Canny, but points deducted for use of the word ‘cob’

Good post. Good luck for the season

I was impressed with Ipswich. I felt that your manager had done his homework and out thought our manager. You negated Clarke and crowded out our new CF who hardly got a kick. Broadhead, in particular, had an excellent game. Overall, you probably deserved the three points.

We created very little until last few mins.....your team did nothing wrong.......had to defend for their lives and get a foothold in the game and hopefully with your forwards eventually create chances....you did that and won...good plan executed

Clarke should have penalty in 1st half...Ipswich should have had penalty 2nd half.......this league will be like this all season...theres about 16 teams who are capable of top 6....good luck for season mate and safe journey.

For a newly promoted side Ipswich did well and opposed to ourselves seem to carry a real threat up top with options to add off the bench. How radical.

I think they’ll do ok this season

Oh and Bobby Robson is well respected at Sunderland

Back