Well...sorry about that, I think

The_Witch

Full Back
Just got back to the hotel (getting old and I'm leaving to drive home after breakfast, so thought it'd be better packing tonight, although one worn Ipswich shirt and two pairs of pants don't seem a lot).

I've enjoyed the sojourn up here. Good hotel, great room and WiFi and that. Last night's dinner was lovely. The walk this morning, the bacon cob with brown sauce and tea so strong it could've cracked pavements. The pints watching the footy results yesterday (Norwich got lucky, but then I guess so did we), a chat with a couple of Sunderland fans who kindly wished me well, even if they didn't think we'd win on Sunday.

The game, well. You saw it as much as I did. I thought we'd get battered in the first twenty minutes. But it was a funny sort of game. No real urgency to anything, except our defending, which at times was a bit too urgent. I liked Ekwah in your midfield, but Clarke, for all his talent, is a bit of a moaning old minnie and Roberts kept trying to take us all on by himself.

The first half looked like petering out to a solid 0-0 for us, until Broadhead got his leg to a hopeful shot and diverted it into the corner and we celebrated, stunned and relieved all at the same time. We looked better in the second half for the first 20 minutes but then, after George Hirst's smasher and a blatant penalty missed following Chaplin's chip from halfway on to the bar, and the sending-off, we went back into our shell again.

13 minutes seemed like a lifetime. I never thought I'd write that. I've had much quicker (and even more fraught) shags, but we held on. I think the general feeling was we'd 'spawned' it. Certainly the home fans I saw as I walked back thought so. They saw my shirt and were adamant we'd had one over on them. It never felt nasty or threatening though.

So I guess it's an apology, although I'm chuffed we won, obviously. But, like I said before, a funny game. It all seemed very laboured and a bit slow. I did wonder if I'd had me pre-match pint spiked. I hope we get better (we started slowly last season so it might just be our thing). You should be top 6 but I think you need a couple of players, especially up front. Hope Stewart's achilles is on the mend. It's been a blast of a weekend, and I haven't regretted any of it.

Just got back to the hotel (getting old and I'm leaving to drive home after breakfast, so thought it'd be better packing tonight, although one worn Ipswich shirt and two pairs of pants don't seem a lot).

I've enjoyed the sojourn up here. Good hotel, great room and WiFi and that. Last night's dinner was lovely. The walk this morning, the bacon cob with brown sauce and tea so strong it could've cracked pavements. The pints watching the footy results yesterday (Norwich got lucky, but then I guess so did we), a chat with a couple of Sunderland fans who kindly wished me well, even if they didn't think we'd win on Sunday.

The game, well. You saw it as much as I did. I thought we'd get battered in the first twenty minutes. But it was a funny sort of game. No real urgency to anything, except our defending, which at times was a bit too urgent. I liked Ekwah in your midfield, but Clarke, for all his talent, is a bit of a moaning old minnie and Roberts kept trying to take us all on by himself.

The first half looked like petering out to a solid 0-0 for us, until Broadhead got his leg to a hopeful shot and diverted it into the corner and we celebrated, stunned and relieved all at the same time. We looked better in the second half for the first 20 minutes but then, after George Hirst's smasher and a blatant penalty missed following Chaplin's chip from halfway on to the bar, and the sending-off, we went back into our shell again.

13 minutes seemed like a lifetime. I never thought I'd write that. I've had much quicker (and even more fraught) shags, but we held on. I think the general feeling was we'd 'spawned' it. Certainly the home fans I saw as I walked back thought so. They saw my shirt and were adamant we'd had one over on them. It never felt nasty or threatening though.

So I guess it's an apology, although I'm chuffed we won, obviously. But, like I said before, a funny game. It all seemed very laboured and a bit slow. I did wonder if I'd had me pre-match pint spiked. I hope we get better (we started slowly last season so it might just be our thing). You should be top 6 but I think you need a couple of players, especially up front. Hope Stewart's achilles is on the mend. It's been a blast of a weekend, and I haven't regretted any of it.

Clarke had a good right to moan. Your player clattered through the back of him and instead of a penalty the ref gave handball to you.

Pleased you enjoyed your day pal. No moaning here. That's football.

Your lot played well mate. I think our lads thought they just needed to go on the field to beat a newly promoted team. We were shocking, and I'm hoping its just early season rustiness. We didn't start playing, like last season, till we were down to 10 men. If we'd played with similar intensity for most of the game you wouldn't have won. I think a draw would probably have been a fairer result, but that's football, it's all about putting the ball into the net. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Decent summary. Clarke & Roberts had zero outcome, not helped by none one to hit’ but both played with the shackles of ego and agents in their stride.

Your lot played well mate. I think our lads thought they just needed to go on the field to beat a newly promoted team. We were shocking, and I'm hoping its just early season rustiness. We didn't start playing, like last season, till we were down to 10 men. If we'd played with similar intensity for most of the game you wouldn't have won. I think a draw would probably have been a fairer result, but that's football, it's all about putting the ball into the net. Good luck for the rest of the season.
They were dreadful for the first half an hour. Completely penned in.

The time wasting is proper small time.
You lot will be ok but sorry like shocking to watch.
You caught us in transition i hope we will spend.

Good luck, McKenna not going last long at Ipswich, he get bigger job soon

Hardly spawned it, how many shots did we have.
Without creating much. You mentioned we should have had a penalty, but seem to forget Ballard should have been sent off and a penalty awarded to Ipswich after hitting the bar, but thats just my opinion

I think you're allowed to smash into people with your shoulder now, new rule.

Last edited:
Fair assessment although not sure how you should have had a pen for that if someone clattering into back of Clarke isn’t a pen. You took chances and had a bit of luck. Decent team and club good luck for the season

Thought your fans were absolute cocks. Singing Sunderland is a shithole after about 10 mins, well fuck off home then.

Then the Bobby Robson chant, most Sunderland fans like him so why bother

Didnt hear the shithole one.

Thought they were very quiet given the numbers and theyd just come up.

Also.. the Norwich "we're coming for you" chant. So cringey :lol:

Back