Well done Surrey

Not wanting to take a cheap shot or get all lefty but they seem to get all of their players from public schools, which will be developing them themselves.

Whereas the Northern counties generally get lads from the state system which leaves the development more to them. I find what Durham have done way more of an achievement in that way.
I don’t disagree, but that’s the nature of the beast in the south east

Not wanting to take a cheap shot or get all lefty but they seem to get all of their players from public schools, which will be developing them themselves.

Whereas the Northern counties generally get lads from the state system which leaves the development more to them. I find what Durham have done way more of an achievement in that way.
I think you have the answer in that post.

Southern Counties do seem to get their players from public schools and some if not many are kids that have got there on cricketing scholarships. Buttler and Hussein are two that spring to mind. Northern lads it's not quite the same, as much.

I know the former coal mining areas have a strong cricketing tradition, many clubs are "xxxxx Colliery Welfare Cricket Club". I don't know what the status of are clubs in the south.

More so Scott Borthwick. Always thought he would be like a fish out of water down there.

I think you have the answer in that post.

Southern Counties do seem to get their players from public schools and some if not many are kids that have got there on cricketing scholarships. Buttler and Hussein are two that spring to mind. Northern lads it's not quite the same, as much.

I know the former coal mining areas have a strong cricketing tradition, many clubs are "xxxxx Colliery Welfare Cricket Club". I don't know what the status of are clubs in the south.
Probably more a tradition thing with north/south. The north was always hard cricket back in the day with professionals and the south more 'amateurish'. This fed into the county game and allowed working class lads up north more opportunity to earn a living.

Last edited:

Back