Weight loss 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quarter of a pound is too small to even take note of really IMO - i only consider anything 4lb either side from the previous week. You can fluctuate so much for loads of reasons.

Fluctuation is real. I weigh anywhere from 231lbs to 236lbs depending on how hydrated I am during the week.

30 lbs down but I’ve hurt my back a bit. Just a spasm but with the back issues I’ve had in the past it feels like a massive setback.

Reactions: Red
Weigh yourself everyday mate and take a 7 day average.
I'm currently reading How Not to Diet by Dr Gregor and he suggesting from studies, to weigh self twice a day - suspect gets people away from the weekly a lot of people have whcih the resut of can get them spinning off the rails if get a negtive result and gets you used to natural fluctutoins that are there depending on hydration, time of month for females, etc etc.

Is interesting if massive book, some people might be put off by his plant based bias, but lot of intersting talk about effects of fat and fibre on calorie absorbtion by the body so far. In reality he heading towards making lifestyle changes rather than a "diet".

Looking for some advice here folks. I've started to take my health and weight a bit more serious over lockdown as I had the time. I see plenty "experts" saying it's as simple as calories in vs calories out. I've worked out that my calorie budget is 2000 calories and my fitness pal won't accept anything under 1500. Does this mean I'm expected to burn 1500 calories a day in order to burn more than I take in?

I've managed that once in lockdown and it required a 11 mile walk which I have no chance of achieving daily! 😂

I'm doing couch to 5k which burns around 350 at the moment.

Can someone spell it out in simple terms for someone who has only started tracking this sort of thing since April? 🙈

Looking for some advice here folks. I've started to take my health and weight a bit more serious over lockdown as I had the time. I see plenty "experts" saying it's as simple as calories in vs calories out. I've worked out that my calorie budget is 2000 calories and my fitness pal won't accept anything under 1500. Does this mean I'm expected to burn 1500 calories a day in order to burn more than I take in?

I've managed that once in lockdown and it required a 11 mile walk which I have no chance of achieving daily! 😂

Can someone spell it out in simple terms for someone who has only started tracking this sort of thing since April? 🙈

How have you worked out your calorie budget? What do you mean that MFP won’t accept anything less than 1500 calories?

Your body burns calories just through breathing and sitting down and sleeping. You need to calculate your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and then from there you can work out how many calories you need to take in each day.

TDEE Calculator: Learn Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure

MyFitnessPal can be used to tell you how many calories to take in and then track any exercise you do but I’ve found that my phone isn’t sensitive enough when it comes to things like steps to measure it accurately.

To lose 1 lb in weight each week you need to be in a calorie deficit of about 500 calories per day. Meaning you need to take in 500 calories less per day than your body uses.

Food is more important in losing weight than exercise.

You should weigh yourself every day at the same time because your body will naturally vary in weight whether you like it or not and then take an average of the weight at the end of each week and compare it to the week before. Otherwise if you weigh yourself once a week you won’t actually know how much you’ve lost - you could have extra water weight on the day you weigh yourself for instance (500 ml of liquid is about 1 lb in weight).

Last edited:
How have you worked out your calorie budget? What do you mean that MFP won’t accept anything less than 1500 calories?

Your body burns calories just through breathing and sitting down and sleeping. You need to calculate your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and then from there you can work out how many calories you need to take in each day.

MyFitnessPal can be used to tell you how many calories to take in and then track any exercise you do but I’ve found that my phone isn’t sensitive enough when it comes to things like steps to measure it accurately.

To lose 1 lb in weight each week you need to be in a calorie deficit of about 500 calories per day. Meaning you need to take in 500 calories less per day than your body uses.

You should weigh yourself every day at the same time because your body will naturally vary in weight whether you like it or not and then take an average of the weight at the end of each week and compare it to the week before. Otherwise if you weigh yourself once a week you won’t actually know how much you’ve lost - you could have extra water weight on the day you weigh yourself for instance (500 ml of liquid is about 1 lb in weight).

Nailed it!

If your BMR is 2000 calories and you eat 1500 a day then you should lose on average 1 lb a week of fat just through diet. Any extra calories you burn through excercise will go on top of that.

Thanks for that mate. I've never seen/used that website before but I like it. 2599 on there so I'm looking at needing 2000 calories per day. Is that right? This is a lot more complicated than i imagined when i first decided to start eating well and exercising daily. :lol:

I'm using muscle food deliveries because I'm useless at cooking and when i do cook I struggle with balancing all the correct things (so many grams of protein, so many grams etc). There's approximately 351 calories per meal on muscle food. I'm having 2 of those per day plus breakfast (cereal and milk generally) which comes to about 1200 calories per day all in. If my calculations are correct (and they're probably not) then i need to find another 800.

I've ditched the fizzy sugary drinks entirely, one takeaway a fortnight if that, I'm a social drinker and live on my own so alcohol has been binned almost all together, 3 runs per week on the couch to 5k app and I'm surviving on muscle foods and breakfast (no snacking etc).

Surely I'll start shedding lbs eventually? :lol:

2000 calories is what your body will burn on its own, no exercise, literally sat on your arse all day.

You don't then need to burn 2000 calories a day to see it drop. You'll get away with eating 2000 and moving a bit more, likely giving you a "net" calorie intake of around 1,500ish.

As long as you've worked out a decent deficit and be a little more active you'll lose weight

Basically aye, far better and in depth explanation
Thanks for that mate. I've never seen/used that website before but I like it. 2599 on there so I'm looking at needing 2000 calories per day. Is that right? This is a lot more complicated than i imagined when i first decided to start eating well and exercising daily. :lol:

I'm using muscle food deliveries because I'm useless at cooking and when i do cook I struggle with balancing all the correct things (so many grams of protein, so many grams etc). There's approximately 351 calories per meal on muscle food. I'm having 2 of those per day plus breakfast (cereal and milk generally) which comes to about 1200 calories per day all in. If my calculations are correct (and they're probably not) then i need to find another 800.

I've ditched the fizzy sugary drinks entirely, one takeaway a fortnight if that, I'm a social drinker and live on my own so alcohol has been binned almost all together, 3 runs per week on the couch to 5k app and I'm surviving on muscle foods and breakfast (no snacking etc).

Surely I'll start shedding lbs eventually? :lol:

Be flexible with the 800. Have food you enjoy

Last edited:
2000 calories is what your body will burn on its own, no exercise, literally sat on your arse all day.

You don't then need to burn 2000 calories a day to see it drop. You'll get away with eating 2000 and moving a bit more, likely giving you a "net" calorie intake of around 1,500ish.

As long as you've worked out a decent deficit and be a little more active you'll lose weight

Basically aye, far better and in depth explanation

Be flexible with the 800. Have food you enjoy

Excellent. Thank you very much. I feel like I understand things a bit better now.

Measured myself around Christmas and I was 14 stone (which is high for me)
Thought id get in to losing weight at the end of May as I was feeling a bit over weight. Once I bough my scales had the shock of my life when I was over 15 stone.
Managed to lose 6 pounds in 2-3 weeks. Im walking 10k a day and trying to work between either doing yoga or weights each day. I just want my stomach to be flatter but I guess you can't choose where your weight disappears from

Tin hat on here but

Started the Keto diet on Monday and so far so good feel good and losing weight already

I am doing excercise as well walking and home gym stuff

The diet seems too good to be true though even had a cooked breakfast the other morning

Tin hat on here but

Started the Keto diet on Monday and so far so good feel good and losing weight already

I am doing excercise as well walking and home gym stuff

The diet seems too good to be true though even had a cooked breakfast the other morning

No need for the Tin hat mate.

I started eating less carbs in January, and lost 27lb in total before I got to a plateau at the back end of April where I couldn't shift anything. I read that after a while, this was likely to happen so I've gradually started introducing carbs back in (Brown toast for breakfast etc) and I've finally got below 16 stones today which is a big milestone for me, just by eating well, keeping an eye on my calories and running every day.

Keep with it, it was good for me, so hope it works well for you.

No need for the Tin hat mate.

I started eating less carbs in January, and lost 27lb in total before I got to a plateau at the back end of April where I couldn't shift anything. I read that after a while, this was likely to happen so I've gradually started introducing carbs back in (Brown toast for breakfast etc) and I've finally got below 16 stones today which is a big milestone for me, just by eating well, keeping an eye on my calories and running every day.

Keep with it, it was good for me, so hope it works well for you.

Cheers pal ive tried allsorts over the last year or so and i know im only a week in to this but actually feel good and enjoying the food so will keep you updated how i go and well done on the milestone too good work !!

Reactions: Red
Cheers pal ive tried allsorts over the last year or so and i know im only a week in to this but actually feel good and enjoying the food so will keep you updated how i go and well done on the milestone too good work !!

Are you counting the calories as well. I fancy giving Keto a go but haven't looked into it properly. Do you still have plenty energy?

Are you counting the calories as well. I fancy giving Keto a go but haven't looked into it properly. Do you still have plenty energy?

Not at the minute with the calories but will if the weight loss doesnt happen however not going crazy just eating when im hungry and having 3 ood meals

Yeah energy levels are good could be mind over matter but actually feel much brighter and alert

Not at the minute with the calories but will if the weight loss doesnt happen however not going crazy just eating when im hungry and having 3 ood meals

Yeah energy levels are good could be mind over matter but actually feel much brighter and alert

I'd be eating loads of eggs and chicken if I do it. Wouldn't massively up my red meat intake. I might try it next week before I go back to work properly. It's the beer what is my downfall like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back