Weekend Getaway in Scotland

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Lexingtongue, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Lossie is nice, and just a kick up the arse from the Findhorn Foundation, a really fascinating little project. Look it up.
    Nice ice cream shop on Lossie harbour.

Aviemore is a good base for touring, but a bit of a let down itself. Granton on Spey is nice.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. lurker

lurker Striker

Leith

3. Rick O Shea

Rick O Shea Winger

There are lots of charming little villages along the M8 corridor.......

4. Gatehouse of Fleet is superb, something for everyone

5. Kinlochleven is good for that sort of stuff. We're heading up this weekend.

6. Rick O Shea

Rick O Shea Winger

Lossie is even better if there's a NATO exercise running.

lurker likes this.
  7. DJP

DJP Striker

And the dolphin watching trips with Seafari Adventures are superb from there, especially if you do the one with the Corryvreckan whirlpool too :cool:

Seafari Adventures (Oban) - Corryvreckan wildlife boat trips

Might I also suggest the Isle of Bute as its an easy place to get to being just a half hour drive from Glasgow then 30 minute car ferry from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay on Bute. The island has some beautiful beaches and nice walks. You might even be lucky enough so see some dolphins and seals during your journey.

riffraff and Ginger John like this.
  8. Snugster

Snugster Winger

For a weekend some of the suggestions so far appear too far away (to me).
    Peebles is canny.

Kevj likes this.
  9. We did that with the whirlpool. One of the best trips I've ever been on. At one point we stopped by a bait ball and the sea birds were diving into the water around us and catching the fish. Amazing to see so close.

10. GingerNick

GingerNick Striker

yeah obans a canny trip for a weekend...theres loads of places along the solway within just a couple of hours drive

11. Arkle

Arkle Striker Contributor

Isle of Lucy.

12. DJP

DJP Striker

Aye, it'll have been gannets diving into the sea. Incredible birds to watch.

Ginger John likes this.
  13. Kevj

Kevj Striker

And has some fantastic mountain biking if the OP is into that.

14. Had some canny weekends in Glasgow, mind, without being in the city centre. Things like having a look at Cathkin Park and that.

Dumfries and around that area is a lovely place to spend a weekend.

15. Cathrin Park looks great, might try and have a dodge over when up for a game

The Hesford Diet likes this.
  16. George Kaplan

George Kaplan Striker

The Moulin Arms in Moulin. Just up the hill from the tartan abomination of Pitlochry but a microbrewery and food with lots of countryside nearby and not too far a trek.

Then go north to Glen Afric

Lexingtongue likes this.
  17. riffraff

riffraff Striker

I’m still getting Rothesay flashbacks now.....28yrs later. The sun was coming back up when we left the last pub, I lost my watch felt like shit for ower a week. My mate had a hair of the dog on the ferry back to Wemys Bay at dinner time.. If either of us had been breathalised theyd have threw away the key.

DJP likes this.
  18. Used to spend a lot of time at The Hydro years ago. Stayed there last year for a few days. Its changed a lot, gone down market a little. The dining room used to be the centre piece of the hotel, with food quality to match. Its now more like the fucking naafi at VL now..

Kevj likes this.
  19. Kevj

Kevj Striker

The place to stay in Peebles is Barony Castle.

Big Duke Six likes this.
  20. southstander

southstander Midfield

Applecross, bit of a hike to get there but well worth it.