Wear-Tees Derby

I never said it was a derby.
I’m pointing out all those so eager to pass it off as just another game.

I’m also glad we have a bit rivalry/edge with Coventry.
The more the better as it adds to the atmosphere. Football has become sterile enough without wanting it to be.

Again, never said anything about them being derbys.
I didn't say you did say it was a derby. I just pointed that out to other replies on this thread.

Your right. The more teams we have an edge with the better.
Much better atmosphere.
For instance.
19th May 1977 will never be forgotten by those of us old enough to remember.
Coventry at home will be bouncing on opening day.
Can't wait

I didn't say you did say it was a derby. I just pointed that out to other replies on this thread.

Your right. The more teams we have an edge with the better.
Much better atmosphere.
For instance.
19th May 1977 will never be forgotten by those of us old enough to remember.
Coventry at home will be bouncing on opening day.
Can't wait

That’s the spirit.

Thankfully, the Boro match means something to the majority of match attending fans.
I can’t wait for it.

Obviously not the Derby but I remember going there for my first away game in 1971 with my dad and grandad and was shocked at the hostility in and around the ground and it seemed to get worse as the years went on.
There was definitely an intensity the fixture those days but since mass hooliganism has died out I can see the ‘just another game ‘point of some out patronising element.
The home games v them have never had the edge that the away fixture had but I’d still call it a derby for old times sake.

It's a fecking derby. Always was. This conversation would not have happened 30 or 40 years ago. Not sure why people are so keen to play it down. It's wierd.

Incorrect it's 35 f***ing mile away man

Is Preston v Liverpool a Derby ??
Is Man Utd v Sheff Wed a Derby??

Before anyone says it Liverpool Man U is not a Derby

A derby is a game against your nearest rivals whether that be same city / town or not.

Last edited:
Obviously not the Derby but I remember going there for my first away game in 1971 with my dad and grandad and was shocked at the hostility in and around the ground and it seemed to get worse as the years went on.
There was definitely an intensity the fixture those days but since mass hooliganism has died out I can see the ‘just another game ‘point of some out patronising element.
The home games v them have never had the edge that the away fixture had but I’d still call it a derby for old times sake.
It could be feisty down there but we used to take massive numbers in the days before all ticket games and they often struggled. The Sunderland Echo used to print a British Rail Football Special advert on the inside back page with the times of trains to Boro [all the townies inc Vauxies with the likes of Seaham, Frankie Wheatley's lot from Horden and Peterlee and it was always amusing how many Sunderland got on at Billingham which you associate with Teesside]and you'd get off at Boro right near the shopping centre and it'd start straightaway.

Their followings at Roker were absolutely miniscule in comparison. Mad days but that's the way it was....

Back