Wear-Tees Derby

I come from Seaham originally and never see a Boro strip about, don’t know any Boro fans and feel more dislike for Leeds. But I hate the Mags with a passion. I know there is the A19 divide but this topic gets far too much airtime.

Until the government created the ITV network and divided the country up to include "Tyne-Tees", most people in the northern counties of Northumberland and County Durham had little interest in a small trophyless club. Once on the TV as a 'region' every night it is easy to see why the 'regions' big three had a form of rivalry. These days we don't define our lives anymore by one chanelll of one media and current generations no longer have any interests in rivalries with someone away down the coast in North Yorkshire. Different for Boro of course who need to find a rival!!
You’re a staff member? Wow.
Hartlepool is Boro's Derby.
And their saviour. #1986

Last edited:
Our older supporters probably 65 + see it as a Derby . Few younger than that have any hatred for Sunderland. If anything they feel a bit sorry for you with 2 relegation and 4 years in Div 3.
Leeds are hated and to some extent the mags.
Luckily our players seem to think it's a Derby when we play you and get well stuck in.
:lol: behave man

I'm going not. There's no real rivalry, the places are too far apart, most will never work with or even meet a Middlesbrough fan.

Not every team needs to have a derby.

I see.

Burnley v Blackburn
Darlo v Pools

Also ‘misguided’ derbies then…;)

Correct, not derbies, no matter how much Sky push them.

A derby is against your nearest rivals, it’s not hard to understand really.

I hate the “London derbies” the “north west derbies” it’s bullshit. Where will they stop every game in the league could be the “English derby” it’s bullshit.
I see.

Burnley v Blackburn
Darlo v Pools

Also ‘misguided’ derbies then…;)

So how do you justify the palace v Brighton “derby”

I’d be interested genuinely to know what you think defines a “derby” I’ve given mine.

Last edited:
Be Sunday lunchtime regardless mate, as will Coventry away
12 o'clock KO ?...hope not..earliest train from Edin. (9;00) arr. Central 10;23..then 10;30 Northern service arr. Boro 11;48..Too tight a travel schedule that..so will probably opt for Plan B (if it is a Sunday mid-day start) and travel down to my coiusins abode (Felling) for a Saturday night stop-over.

Correct, not derbies, no matter how much Sky push them.

A derby is against your nearest rivals, it’s not hard to understand really.

I hate the “London derbies” the “north west derbies” it’s bullshit. Where will they stop every game in the league could be the “English derby” it’s bullshit.

So how do you justify the palace v Brighton “derby”

I’d be interested genuinely to know what you think defines a “derby” I’ve given mine.
That’ll be Swansea v Cardiff also binned as a local Derby then.

hundreds of thousands of supporters of these teams across the country all mistaken about their derby game.

If South Shields continue to progress through the pyramid and make league 2, do they become Sunderland’s local derby and the Mags fixture just becomes like the Boro game?

I'm going not. There's no real rivalry, the places are too far apart, most will never work with or even meet a Middlesbrough fan.

Not every team needs to have a derby.
You've got to live in a pretty insular place and have a shit social circle not to know a fan of a team 25 miles away, Sunderland isn't Royston Vasey man, ironically it is named after one of Boro's favourite sons Chubby Brown.

Back