Wear-Tees Derby

I've worked in Boro for the best part of 23 years. I drive to work from Seaham in about 20 mins. About the same time it takes me to drive to Newcastle.
I'm surrounded by smogs on a daily basis.

It's not as big as the mags, but it's very much a derby.
exactly people say its not a derby but, when this game comes around most of our fans get up for it and its always hostile, not on the mags scale but its defo a big game.

Loved Ayresome Park
What a bogey ground.☹️
Saw us play there Tier 1 , tier 2 , fa cup, League cup, AS Cup and only time we won was a testimonial for Gary Hamilton.

First ever trip was Jan 75 when we lost 3-1 in fa cup and shuda stopped going to AP then:lol:.
Did get an 0-0 there 82 possibly. The game was only game played in Division 1 (the top tier then) for some reason.

Got caned there 4-1, and also 3-0 when Boro scored opener in first two mins iirc - think both were under Smithy .

Lost 2-1 in 76 when it pissed down all day - Greenwood opened only for Alan Willey to score a brace.

And that feckin last Saturday in Dec 86 (?) when lost two nil on snowbound pitch and missed first thirty mins as train broke down.

Only got shit memories of AP, hated the place
exactly people say its not a derby but, when this game comes around most of our fans get up for it and its always hostile, not on the mags scale but its defo a big game.

Funny, we were just talking about the hostility on way down to Wembley.

Boro was always more edgy than going to sjp. Nearly always had hassle going down there . The LC away leg in 87 for one, (lost two nil) was mental.

Long long walk from their station to AP with loads of side streets.

Last edited:
What a bogey ground.☹️
Saw us play there Tier 1 , tier 2 , fa cup, League cup, AS Cup and only time we won was a testimonial for Gary Hamilton.

First ever trip was Jan 75 when we lost 3-1 in fa cup and shuda stopped going to AP then:lol:.
Did get an 0-0 there 82 possibly. The game was only game played in Division 1 (the top tier then) for some reason.

Got caned there 4-1, and also 3-0 when Boro scored opener in first two mins iirc - think both were under Smithy .

Lost 2-1 in 76 when it pissed down all day - Greenwood opened only for Alan Willey to score a brace.

And that feckin last Saturday in Dec 86 (?) when lost two nil on snowbound pitch and missed first thirty mins as train broke down.

Boro was always more edgy than going to sjp. Nearly always had hassle going down there . The LC away leg in 87 for one, (lost two nil) was mental.

Yes I remember most of those matches.
Iirc the Alan Willey one was the first rainy day for ages, after a long heat wave?
Funny , I remember Roker Park how you remember Ayresome - I'd been to Roker many times with Boro, but the first (and only) time I saw us win there was 1995 when Bryan Robson was our manager (Jamie Pollock goal).
Aye, those streets around Ayresome were well dodgy.

Never did find out why we wore out away kit in that 1975 cup match.

Last edited:
Iirc the Alan Willey one was the first rainy day for ages, after a long heat wave?
Funny , I remember Roker Park how you remember Ayresome - I'd been to Roker many times with Boro, but the first (and only) time I saw us win there was 1995 when Bryan Robson was our manager (Jamie Pollock goal).

I've been to roker and stadium of light a few times .
I'm not interested whether it's a derby or not .but to hear sunlun people say its the same as playing Bristol city etc
they haven't been to the same games as me.

aye the away kits.i was at the game .maybe ours was in the wash

Last edited:
I've worked in Boro for the best part of 23 years. I drive to work from Seaham in about 20 mins. About the same time it takes me to drive to Newcastle.
I'm surrounded by smogs on a daily basis.

It's not as big as the mags, but it's very much a derby.
I worked through the cowpen estate for a year, you could feel the hatred because I was an SAFC lad( 4 or 5 others were lads fans out of about a hundred)

What a bogey ground.☹️

That game in 87 was indeed mental. Remember being chased the length of linthorpe rd. grown men chasing gangs of 15 years olds 😂

Like many, I'm somewhat on the fence on this one - bigger than most games but not a proper derby for SAFC. As if to prove how little we care, I can remember going down the King's Arms for a pint before a game against them back in the Premier League days and there were smoggie supporters stood outside in amongst our lot peacefully enjoying a pint.

There are some strange statements on here. I myself have always considered Sunderland Newcastle and Leeds as a derby just because there all fairly close to Teesside. I’m 48 years of age and always enjoyed playing the three said teams, always trouble back in the day against all three of them at Ayresome Park.
I guess a lot of people on here who say it isn’t a derby are maybe people whom are younger than the age of 30, the ones whom also didn’t see boro when we where buying top draw players and competing in Europe, days I will never see again unfortunately.
As for people saying you don’t know anyone from Teesside or met anyone, not sure what that relevance that has to it been a derby or not. A lot of old school lads will pretty much say it’s a derby from both Sunderland and boro. Yes it’s not your big one against the deluded lot but still is imo. Bizarre when you get a few people saying it’s important to boro fans only, really, that sounds like a geordies comment or someone from a giant successful club, which no offence your not, bigger than us, stadium wise and fan wise but anything else no. I’ll be looking forward to both games next season.

Last edited:
There are some strange statements on here. I myself have always considered Sunderland Newcastle and Leeds as a derby just because there all fairly close to Teesside. I’m 48 years of age and always enjoyed playing the three said teams, always trouble back in the day against all three of them at Ayresome Park.
I guess a lot of people on here who say it isn’t a derby are maybe people whom are younger than the age of 30, the ones whom also didn’t see boro when we where buying top draw players and competing in Europe, days I will never see again unfortunately.
As for people saying you don’t know anyone from Teesside or met anyone, not sure what that relevance that has to it been a derby or not. A lot of old school lads will pretty much say it’s a derby from both Sunderland and boro. Yes it’s not your big one against the deluded lot but still is imo. Bizarre when you get a few people saying it’s important to boro fans only, really, that sounds like a geordies comment or someone from a giant successful club, which no offence your not, bigger than us, stadium wise and fan wise but anything else no. I’ll be looking forward to both games next season.
When l first started supporting Sunderland (early 60’s) if all three teams were in the same division there was a “Cock of the North” trophy awarded to whichever team won the most points in the games between each other. There was also a magazine at the time, name escapes me, but it featured all three teams plus Darlo and Hartlepool…basically just covered north east football.

Back