We should play 442

It could work if played with a “wide midfielders” rather than wingers. Didn’t we play something like this for a while with Schwarz on one of the flanks and a genuine winger on the other, so becomes 3 in the middle out of possession?

I’m not sure we have the players though

Nearest I can get is something like

Hemir Rusyn
Styles Neil Ekwah Ba/Mundle
Hume oNien Ballard Seelt
Patto

I think a 451 is more likely

It could work if played with a “wide midfielders” rather than wingers. Didn’t we play something like this for a while with Schwarz on one of the flanks and a genuine winger on the other, so becomes 3 in the middle out of possession?

I’m not sure we have the players though

Nearest I can get is something like

Hemir Rusyn
Styles Neil Ekwah Ba/Mundle
Hume oNien Ballard Seelt
Patto

I think a 451 is more likely
That team is absolutely stinking like

Seeing as Clarke and Roberts are out for the foreseeable .

Let's chuck hemir and rusyn up front and see what happens. On paper, as a partnership it looks perfect really.

Full backs stay back, couple of able runners on the flanks to bomb on / get back.

Balls to it, let's at least experiment and try something attacking for the remainder of the season

I've said it for a year or so, with all these 352s and 451s and ticitaka football everyone seems to play, sooner or later it's going to come full circle and a big team will start playing a straight forward 442 again, and said manager will be hailed a 'master tactician', and everyone will start playing long ball again.

What about going to a Raich Carter, Bobby Gurney style 2-3-5?
Lots of teams play that in possession
I've said it for a year or so, with all these 352s and 451s and ticitaka football everyone seems to play, sooner or later it's going to come full circle and a big team will start playing a straight forward 442 again, and said manager will be hailed a 'master tactician', and everyone will start playing long ball again.
Lots of teams are 4-4-2 out of possession. Sunderland were a fair bit last year under Mowbray

Seeing as Clarke and Roberts are out for the foreseeable .

Let's chuck hemir and rusyn up front and see what happens. On paper, as a partnership it looks perfect really.

Full backs stay back, couple of able runners on the flanks to bomb on / get back.

Balls to it, let's at least experiment and try something attacking for the remainder of the season

Why not, this should have been tried long ago, as well as playing three at the back. It's as if it's against the law. We are one dimensional and that's why we are where we are.

Our midfield 3 get overrun so a 2 would be demolished

We get over run because we sit so deep imo and teams just push us back and pen us in. Lets try and get the ball to stay in the other teams half for more than 10 seconds :lol:

Rusyn to me at least has that nuisance factor of a second striker who is just a pain in the arse for big clunky centre halves. Pointless playing him on the wing or as a wide forward. Get him through the middle with a nugget (hemir) that he can play off

Last edited:
do you not think that is partly because we have no outlet so sit back far too much? i genuinely believe with an attacking set up they would then have to be more defensive, relieving the pressure off our midfield. probably why our midfield looked so more comfortable last year when they had to mark both amad and clarke out of the game leaving room for others to have time and space on the ball

do you not think that is partly because we have no outlet so sit back far too much? i genuinely believe with an attacking set up they would then have to be more defensive, relieving the pressure off our midfield. probably why our midfield looked so more comfortable last year when they had to mark both amad and clarke out of the game leaving room for others to have time and space on the ball

i 100% think this as well. we`ve even got teams like swansea and plymouth coming to our place and basically defending from the half way line because they know there is very limited threat in our attack

I think it can be played with the right tweaks. I certainly can't understand why we never try it when we're chasing the game with 20 to go. Again on Saturday we're 2-1 down & he takes Rusyn off for Hemir, go with both man, what you afraid of?!
If we're trying it from the start I think it would have to be 2 banks of 4 with Jobe or Ba as one of the 2 up top then have them drop in & make a 5 when out of possession. Don't think any cm combination we have can get away with just the 2 of them in there.

Wouldn’t be a two.. would be 4 without the ball
I think it can be played with the right tweaks. I certainly can't understand why we never try it when we're chasing the game with 20 to go. Again on Saturday we're 2-1 down & he takes Rusyn off for Hemir, go with both man, what you afraid of?!
If we're trying it from the start I think it would have to be 2 banks of 4 with Jobe or Ba as one of the 2 up top then have them drop in & make a 5 when out of possession. Don't think any cm combination we have can get away with just the 2 of them in there.
Jobe needs to earn his place in midfield… if we go two up top it needs to be Hemir plus either Rusyn or Burstow.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be a two.. would be 4 without the ball

Jobe needs to earn his place in midfield… if we go two up top it needs to be Hemir plus either Rusyn or Burstow.

Exactly, if they set up right how can they get over-run ? Most teams play 4 at the back so even if the full backs are attacking thats still only 8 players potentially going forwards. If we`ve got 4 at the back and 4 in midfield with the second striker at least coming part way back we should be more than alright.

We get ran about in midfield enough already, without losing a man in there. Besides, we don't have one capable striker never mind two

Didn’t we play something like this for a while with Schwarz on one of the flanks and a genuine winger on the other

Even then Schwarz tucked in with Micky Gray overlapping & Makin sat back a lot because Summerbee couldn't/wouldn't defend so we were effectively playing 3-5-2 regardless of what the lineup on the teamsheet said

We are getting overran in midfield playing with a three atm, so it would be football suicide until the glaring mistakes in recruitment are sorted..

Back