'we can build a “Uruguayan” club in England, that with claw can compete with the best in the world'

Sunderland part-owner Juan Sartori has given a revealing interview with a Uruguayan newspaper in which he outlines his vision for the club that he, Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven acquired from Ellis Short. Uruguayan businessman Juan Sartori officially joined the Sunderland board of directors at the beginning of the month after his appointment...

More at Roker Report...

So the Uraguayan model it is... Tho not sure what that even means...

Looks like we will be getting lots of young Uruguayan players into the academy for starters.

Be interesting to see what else building a "Uraguayan club" in England entails.

Will we be getting Uraguayan coaches peppering the academy staff as well?

Will the Gus Bus be arriving back at some point??

This sounds interesting to say the least... Also slightly worried this could be a massive failure, but hey, hopefully onward and upward...

Last edited:
A lot of South Americans tend to have Italian and Spanish passports, I think Coates had one and that Torreria lad Arsenal signed has one.

As long as they come in before Brexit that'll be fine. Afterwards, who knows what a player will have to have already achieved in order to get a work permit here. I'm not sure a third tier club would be able to sway it. Maybe if we were in the Premier League we might be able to convince a tribunal to allow a permit for a current Uruguayan international but I doubt we'll be able to bring Uruguayan kids into the academy regardless of Spanish or Italian passports. That would involve bringing their parents over at least, if not various other family members.

Back