We are way short

They will be nowhere near the team. Squad isn’t as bad as what people are saying:

Goalkeeper:
Anthony Patterson
Lee Burge

Right Back:
New Right Back
New Right Back

Centre Back

New CB
Callum Doyle
Tom Flanagan
Arbenit Xhemajli
Oliver Younger

Left Back
Tony Gallacher
Denver Hume (Probably)

Right Midfield
Lynden Gooch
Jack Diamond

Centre Midfield
Corry Evans
Luke O’Nien
Carl Winchester
Dan Neil

Left Midfield
Aiden McGeady
New Left Midfielder

Attacking Midfield
Alex Pritchard
Elliot Embleton

Striker
Ross Stewart
New striker
Aiden O’Brien

The argument 'Play the youngins, that will work' surely people can see that while some are decent, some aren't capable at the moment of long term football at this level.

We need quite a few players, both quantity and quality really.

That squad/team won't get Play Offs even.
We are short, but that team and squuad tonight will be nothing like the squad for the first game of the season.

Players in our squad not involved this evening who are likely to feature in the league:

Stewart
McGeady
Gooch
Pritchard
Embleton
O'Nien
Evans
Winchester
Flanagan
Doyle
Xhemajli
Burge
Gallacher (if he signs tomorrow as is expected)

That's a full XI plus a couple spare, yes everyone can the squad needs additions but we will never see anything close to that that XI play for Sunderland again in a meaningful game this year.

No point flapping after that game. Johnson clearly stated on Saturday that that game was for the youngins and the senior lads that needed top ups.

Squad is shite though and needs some serious work

Basically, our U23s have just drawn comfortably against a near full strength side who are likely to be in the L2 promotion mix. From that standpoint, it's fairly encouraging.

The argument 'Play the youngins, that will work' surely people can see that while some are decent, some aren't capable at the moment of long term football at this level.

We need quite a few players, both quantity and quality really.

That squad/team won't get Play Offs even.
Disagree we have a group of about 16 or 17 players who are good enough in this league for too 6 after that fair enough it's full of kids but which other clubs in this league have a strong group of 20 plus players ?

Last edited:
I think we'll get 2 full backs by saturday and the team/squad will look better. We then desperately need an additional striker and CB. Get a couple of FB's in and the team looks fine not the squad. Personally, if we get the 2 lads who are being touted then I think the new approach is the right one - the squad will be younger and hungry compared to the last few seasons.

They will be nowhere near the team. Squad isn’t as bad as what people are saying:

Goalkeeper:
Anthony Patterson
Lee Burge

Right Back:
New Right Back
New Right Back

Centre Back

New CB
Callum Doyle
Tom Flanagan
Arbenit Xhemajli
Oliver Younger

Left Back
Tony Gallacher
Denver Hume (Probably)

Right Midfield
Lynden Gooch
Jack Diamond

Centre Midfield
Corry Evans
Luke O’Nien
Carl Winchester
Dan Neil

Left Midfield
Aiden McGeady
New Left Midfielder

Attacking Midfield
Alex Pritchard
Elliot Embleton

Striker
Ross Stewart
New striker
Aiden O’Brien
This, 3-4 decent signings will transform our squad.
Whether we get them.🤷‍♂️

Got rid of too many.

Conor McLoughlin was worth keeping. I don’t think he let us down. Instead we have no full backs.
McLaughlin was decent when fit last year but he's not the attacking pacey RB Johnson clearly wants for that position. Won't have been on cheap wages either given he was signed from the Championship on a free.

I have absolutely no issue with some of the younguns progressing to fringes of the first team squad in some positions but they aren't good enough as starters.

Not if we want automatic promotion.

that’s fair but let’s see if you want to do a swap with him in a fortnight

I accept we may bring in a better right back than McLoughlin but doubt we will bring in two. He could also play in a back 3.

My concern is LJ will make do with one and O’Nien will end up playing more games in defence than in midfield.

The squad is miles off where it needs to be. If the club don’t get some quality in and quickly it’s going to be a shit show of a season.
Is it fuck a million miles off man did you post similar after the Harrogate or hearts game or are you just a knee jerk who only posts after the kids draw with a league 2 team

Last edited:

Back