We are makers. Sunderland 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that is what you take from it I think it says more about your outlook than the video. It's about looking forward, not backwards. It's the very opposite of being defeatist and being a City of Culture bid, it focuses on the cultural things we make.
We have a proud history and we can be proud of our future.

We certainly have a proud history but I don't understand how anyone can be proud of a future which hasn't happened yet ?

I've been watching a lot of videos about Detroit, a city which has lost two thirds of its population and consequently has "about" 60,000 abandoned houses most of which are beyond repair. It looks a war zone outside the city centre but they are clawing their way back by attracting new industries and currently have a bid for Amazon's new HQ2 which would bring $5 billion investment and 50,000 jobs to whichever city gets it. I cheered like anything when Nissan said they would ramp up production by 20% and a single new factory employing 100 people would mean more than the title "City Of Culture" which sounds to me like an excuse for local politicians to get taxpayer funded jaunts to exotic foreign countries.

We certainly have a proud history but I don't understand how anyone can be proud of a future which hasn't happened yet ?

I've been watching a lot of videos about Detroit, a city which has lost two thirds of its population and consequently has "about" 60,000 abandoned houses most of which are beyond repair. It looks a war zone outside the city centre but they are clawing their way back by attracting new industries and currently have a bid for Amazon's new HQ2 which would bring $5 billion investment and 50,000 jobs to whichever city gets it. I cheered like anything when Nissan said they would ramp up production by 20% and a single new factory employing 100 people would mean more than the title "City Of Culture" which sounds to me like an excuse for local politicians to get taxpayer funded jaunts to exotic foreign countries.
The two things aren't mutually exclusive, it is possible to have both.
I think you need to read up on how much money City of Culture brings into the city. It also raises the profile of the city that can only help inward investment.
Sounds like you've made your mind up but I don't understand how the UK City of Culture would lead to politicians going to exotic foreign countries unless you mean politicians from other countries visiting the twin resorts of Roker and Seaburn.;)
You have a cynical view, I have a positive one. We can agree to differ.

I think you need to read up on how much money City of Culture brings into the city. It also raises the profile of the city that can only help inward investment.
Sounds like you've made your mind up but I don't understand how the UK City of Culture would lead to politicians going to exotic foreign countries unless you mean politicians from other countries visiting the twin resorts of Roker and Seaburn.;)
I can't see how the city of culture tag will make a difference to people on the breadline/benefits. Like all the stuff that has been done in Sunderland for the bid, the bar restaurant and art hub (that doesn't display art) the schools organise trips to beamish so I don't think think will be heading in the council quarters direction.
It will bring more money in but where will the extra cash be invested. More museums another pub, another old building saved. What ever it is it won't benefit the poor people of this city. That's for sure.

I tried that and all I could find was some official blurb from Hull which mainly talked about how much Hull Council was investing in the arts which they could of course anyway. Like your statement about being "proud of our future " I don't see how you can know how much money it would bring in ?
Anyway I have pretty much exhausted my thoughts on this so I think I will get pissed with a nice Chardonnay. That's how cultured I am :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back