We are makers. Sunderland 2021

Latest video to show to the City of Culture judges. It even captures me smiling.:lol:
Just had a chance to watch it and I take back my initial comment about 'we are makers' - it actually fits perfectly.

For anyone proud (Or wanting to be proud) of living in or near this city that video is a work of art and will make you feel proud.

Couple of my pals on there as well, the fuckers kept that quiet!!!

Mate of mine made that video. He worked hard on it for months. I hope he gets more opportunities off the back of it.

Well done your marra.

Writing as an exile, the quality of the city’s PR seems to have come along in leaps and bounds. I can remember a billboard for Sunderland development (or something) in the eighties that had head shots of two blokes wearing those giant cartoon glasses and the strap line was something like “Bob and Jim are looking really hard for ways to improve the city”.

On the strength of that video I’d be on me way back if the weather wasn’t so absolutely shite. There’s no PR that can improve that!

I really think the city of culture team have done a great job and even if we don't win it the profile of the city has been increased. I was told last night that if Stirling win it then it would also be good news as a percentage of the cash is English money and must remain in England.

I really think the city of culture team have done a great job and even if we don't win it the profile of the city has been increased. I was told last night that if Stirling win it then it would also be good news as a percentage of the cash is English money and must remain in England.
That'll be a massive shock seeing as they aren't on the shortlist.;)
Paisley from Scotland is although I've not heard anything about 'English money'.
As you say, good things are happening regardless of whether we win but it would be fantastic if we did.

I'm no psychiatrist but that video screams "victim mentality" to me.
As you say, you are no psychiatrist.

It is a draft, but it is really good, for me.

Just had a chance to watch it and I take back my initial comment about 'we are makers' - it actually fits perfectly.

For anyone proud (Or wanting to be proud) of living in or near this city that video is a work of art and will make you feel proud.

Couple of my pals on there as well, the fuckers kept that quiet!!!
Well said.

Sunderland is the city that designed and built the Liberty ships that saved our Atlantic convoys in WW2 of COURSE we are builders.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you say, you are no psychiatrist.

It is a draft, but it is really good, for me.

Well said.

Sunderland is the city that designed and built the Liberty ships that saved our Atlantic convoys in WW2 of COURSE we are builders.

It takes nearly five minutes to tell us that the town used to be a great manufacturing centre but is now essentially fucked (except for Nissan) BUT "we still mak things like erm....a fashion business , something to do with designing things on computers and a couple of gadgies blowing glass in a little workshop" all delivered in a defeatist voice which tries to sound hopeful.

It takes nearly five minutes to tell us that the town used to be a great manufacturing centre but is now essentially fucked (except for Nissan) BUT "we still mak things like erm....a fashion business , something to do with designing things on computers and a couple of gadgies blowing glass in a little workshop" all delivered in a defeatist voice which tries to sound hopeful.
If that is what you take from it I think it says more about your outlook than the video. It's about looking forward, not backwards. It's the very opposite of being defeatist and being a City of Culture bid, it focuses on the cultural things we make.
We have a proud history and we can be proud of our future.

Mmmmm. Our impressions are different.

If that is what you take from it I think it says more about your outlook than the video. It's about looking forward, not backwards. It's the very opposite of being defeatist and being a City of Culture bid, it focuses on the cultural things we make.
Doesn't matter what was on the video. There will be a few posters who will never, ever see any good in it.

How do you know what his outlook is?
You posted the video and he has commented, you don't like it so you have a dig. Do you honestly think everyone will love it.
Personally I like it I'm just flabbergasted at the amount of people who are quick to make things personal.
Surprised the mods are not on top of this.

Doesn't matter what was on the video. There will be a few posters who will never, ever see any good in it.
Exactly mate

How do you know what his outlook is?
You posted the video and he has commented, you don't like it so you have a dig. Do you honestly think everyone will love it.
Personally I like it I'm just flabbergasted at the amount of people who are quick to make things personal.
Surprised the mods are not on top of this.
Shurrup len. ;)

Back