Wayne the Punk's 1st Ashes Test. England v Australia 16-20 June Edgbaston 11:00

3 of the best sporting days I’ve been to. I just laugh when I saw a certain poster say it won’t go down as a great game. :lol:

Disagree with most of the chat on here. It seems to be score at 5 an over please but if you get out it’s “reckless”. Absolutely nobody say this when Root is reverse scooping them for 6.

England score runs because of the way, not r”despite it. We can’t grind it out for days. 1 win in 17 to 11 in 14 proves its right.

England played well against the best team in the world, their game plan worked beautifully, they got Australia down to needing 50+ for 2 wickets, then Australia pulled it off, that’s the game. The declaration had nothing to do with it.

View in the stand was should have kept bowing himself with old ball and then broad or Robinson at other end. They couldn’t get the old ball away. Btw Lyon played and missed 5 times. Just need a bit of luck

Bit dismayed to see some quarters trying to claim its vindication England are playing the wrong way, it’s the complete opposite of that.

Lack of fitness in our bowlers late on day 5 cost us.

Amazing game and privelleged to have been there tbh. What an unreal knock by Cummins, the highest ever by s number 9 in a winning run chase. Really was special.
Absolutely spot on mate, agree with every single word!

Absolutely spot on mate, agree with every single word!

Good to know!

I have no idea why people focus more on dsy 1 than last hour day 5

When root got Carey the game was ours

If anyone wants to criticise England (and I don’t have any) then that’s the period to criticise as that’s when they lost the game. All the attacking cricket got them into that situation

People will say don’t declare don’t play so aggressively with bat, but we wouldn’t have got into that position to win otherwise. It literally went down to the last 15 mins.

Pitch was so so flat. We did extremely well

As I said before series, I feel I’ve been proved reasonably correct, the issue is the bowling not batting, we will score runs playing like we play. And tbf we took 18 wickets, but it’s such an old attack we did well to get that

Broad was absolutely brilliant, I was saying wood in for him but was totally wrong, he’s a warrior.

3 of the best sporting days I’ve been to. I just laugh when I saw a certain poster say it won’t go down as a great game. :lol:

Disagree with most of the chat on here. It seems to be score at 5 an over please but if you get out it’s “reckless”. Absolutely nobody say this when Root is reverse scooping them for 6.

England score runs because of the way, not r”despite it. We can’t grind it out for days. 1 win in 17 to 11 in 14 proves its right.

England played well against the best team in the world, their game plan worked beautifully, they got Australia down to needing 50+ for 2 wickets, then Australia pulled it off, that’s the game. The declaration had nothing to do with it.

View in the stand was should have kept bowing himself with old ball and then broad or Robinson at other end. They couldn’t get the old ball away. Btw Lyon played and missed 5 times. Just need a bit of luck

Bit dismayed to see some quarters trying to claim its vindication England are playing the wrong way, it’s the complete opposite of that.

Lack of fitness in our bowlers late on day 5 cost us.

Amazing game and privelleged to have been there tbh. What an unreal knock by Cummins, the highest ever by s number 9 in a winning run chase. Really was special.
Yep said as much earlier, England can't bat the way the Aussies because they are not as technically good. They have to go hard and shock their opponents. more than one way to skin a cat.

unless they want sibbers back 25 runs in a session? 🤔

Good to know!

I have no idea why people focus more on dsy 1 than last hour day 5

When root got Carey the game was ours

If anyone wants to criticise England (and I don’t have any) then that’s the period to criticise as that’s when they lost the game. All the attacking cricket got them into that situation

People will say don’t declare don’t play so aggressively with bat, but we wouldn’t have got into that position to win otherwise. It literally went down to the last 15 mins.

Pitch was so so flat. We did extremely well

As I said before series, I feel I’ve been proved reasonably correct, the issue is the bowling not batting, we will score runs playing like we play. And tbf we took 18 wickets, but it’s such an old attack we did well to get that

Broad was absolutely brilliant, I was saying wood in for him but was totally wrong, he’s a warrior.
Well exactly people are actually saying if we didn’t declare and got an extra 30 runs in the first innings that would have gave us a better chance to win.

I don’t understand that logic as it would have taken more time and less time for us to take all their wickets!!

Batting on and not declaring would have enhanced our chances to draw but certainly not to win

Well exactly people are actually saying if we didn’t declare and got an extra 30 runs in the first innings that would have gave us a better chance to win.

I don’t understand that logic as it would have taken more time and less time for us to take all their wickets!!

Batting on and not declaring would have enhanced our chances to draw but certainly not to win

Exactly, I think it’s just a physical thing people csn see an criticise

Also people criticising the batting, I think it’s due to the term “bazball”. There’s no set plan of how to play, it’s just get your runs quickly. It works like. We got enough runs to win the game like.

If we batted on and declared overnight the ozzies would have had 30-40 runs more to get in 5 less overs.

The most two likely results would have been an England win or a draw, yet here we are 1-0 down.

In my opinion that's what we should have done, doesn't mean I'm not loving this new approach.

Exactly, I think it’s just a physical thing people csn see an criticise

Also people criticising the batting, I think it’s due to the term “bazball”. There’s no set plan of how to play, it’s just get your runs quickly. It works like. We got enough runs to win the game like.
I think as I said earlier in one of threads the sporting thing to do is give credit to Cummins.

When they were 8 down, he could have gone in his shell.

Yet instead went for the win and hit a few big shots.

Sometimes on sport you have to gave praise to the opposition where praise due.

Even the Aussies :D
If we batted on and declared overnight the ozzies would have had 30-40 runs more to get in 5 less overs.

The most two likely results would have been an England win or a draw, yet here we are 1-0 down.

In my opinion that's what we should have done, doesn't mean I'm not loving this new approach.
Fair enough mate but with respect imo if England got them extra runs and extra time.

Imo a draw was a lot lot more likely result than a England win, if we only got 8 wickets in the second innings we were imo not likely to get more wickets with less time.

I 100% take peoples point that declaring increased our chances of losing, but it also increased our chances of winning.

Guess the debate is with it been the first test of a 5 match series should we have been a bit more careful.

Personally don’t think we should of, but respect the opposite view

Last edited:

Says who?

The whole of the game would have been completely different. You can’t possibly say it just pans out the same but we have 40 more runs like
I think as I said earlier in one of threads the sporting thing to do is give credit to Cummins.

When they were 8 down, he could have gone in his shell.

Yet instead went for the win and hit a few big shots.

Sometimes on sport you have to gave praise to the opposition where praise due.

Even the Aussies :D

Fair enough mate but with respect imo if England got them extra runs and extra time.

Imo a draw was a lot lot more likely result than a England win, if we only got 8 wickets in the second innings we were imo not likely to get more wickets with less time.

I 100% take peoples point that declaring increased our chances of losing, but it also increased our chances of winning.

Guess the debate is with it been the first test of a 5 match series should we have been a bit more careful.

Personally don’t think we should of, but respect the opposite view

Did the right thing, we had them 8 down with 50 to get

You’d take that position almost all times

Says who?

The whole of the game would have been completely different. You can’t possibly say it just pans out the same but we have 40 more runs like

Exactly the game would have been completely different, we may have won or drawn.

You've just made my point, cheers.

Says who?

Yeah I do agree, more times than not a team needing over 50 with 2 wickets left in the final innings of a test match will lose.

I just simply love the mentality of this team I really do, the wicket was very flat we lost in total about a days play from the weather.

In the past both teams would have got 500 batting slowly and the game would have just ended in a boring draw imo

Yet instead we got a classic test match.

After watching test cricket for about 40 years never been as glued to it as now.

I am still struggling why all and sundry are not constantly singing the praises of Stokes and McCulllum for what they have done both for this England test side and test cricket as a whole.

Eh?

Australia might have got loads more runs, might have got less, you’ve no idea like,

You’ve just took the exact same scorecard and added 40 on :lol:
No I haven't.

Here's a scenario for you.

The Aussies have 5 overs at the end of day one, they come out with a very cautious approach and get through to stumps unbeaten (exactly what happened)

They won the game with around 5 overs to spare.🤔

That 30-40 runs would have crucial, the extra 5 overs we bowled certainly weren't.

No I haven't.

Here's a scenario for you.

The Aussies have 5 overs at the end of day one, they come out with a very cautious approach and get through to stumps unbeaten (exactly what happened)

They won the game with around 5 overs to spare.🤔

That 30-40 runs would have crucial, the extra 5 overs we bowled certainly weren't.
Says who?

What it we didn’t declare got 430 and then the Aussies got 450?

You’ve just presumed the scoreboard would stay exactly the same, just us with an extra 40 runs

They weren’t remotely crucial at all. The game would have been completely different with a myriad of different scenarios

Warner might have got a 100 instead of whatever he could as he’d have been bowled totally different deliveries

The fact you can’t grasp that worries me
Yeah I do agree, more times than not a team needing over 50 with 2 wickets left in the final innings of a test match will lose.

I just simply love the mentality of this team I really do, the wicket was very flat we lost in total about a days play from the weather.

In the past both teams would have got 500 batting slowly and the game would have just ended in a boring draw imo

Yet instead we got a classic test match.

After watching test cricket for about 40 years never been as glued to it as now.

I am still struggling why all and sundry are not constantly singing the praises of Stokes and McCulllum for what they have done both for this England test side and test cricket as a whole.

Aye. Exactly.

I was absolutely gutted last night but I couldn’t fault how they played like

Australia are a better team than us. That’s what nobody seems to acknowledge

It’s not just about entertainment it’s about giving ourselves best chance to win, and this is the best way

Last edited:
Says who?

You’ve just presumed the scoreboard would stay exactly the same, just us with an extra 40 runs

They weren’t remotely crucial at all. The game would have been completely different with a myriad of different scenarios

Warner might have got a 100 instead of whatever he could as he’d have been bowled totally different deliveries

Aye. Exactly.

It’s not just about entertainment it’s about giving ourselves best chance to win, and this is the best way
Not sure much between the teams tbh.

The fact they have a top class spinner is a concern if we keep producing flat wickets

Says who?

Aye. Exactly.

Quite a few presumptions there.🤔

The Aussies might have gotten 450 - presumption

Warner might have gotten 100 - presumption

I'm presuming nothing, 40 more runs in 5 less overs would have been harder to chase - fact.

Quite a few presumptions there.🤔

The Aussies might have gotten 450 - presumption

Warner might have gotten 100 - presumption

I'm presuming nothing, 40 more runs in 5 less overs would have been harder to chase - fact.

Exactly. We are both presuming

That’s the exact point in making

Yeah but you’ve just stuck to the same Scorecard and added 40 :lol:

You have. The game could have played out in any one of infinite scenarios. Doesn’t mean we’d just have 40 more runs to defend second innings does it
Look I offered to end but as usual you can't be wrong.

I haven't said add 40 to the scoreboard and we would have won so you're talking shite there.

If, a big if as we will never know we scored 40, 50, 60 even a hundred more the game would have been totally different.(as you've just said so yourself)

Presumptions are fine but facts are facts, they past our total with around 5 overs to spare, the gamble of the declaration didn't pay off.

All of this is in my opinion of course, but that's not allowed on here, you're right and everyone who doesn't agree is wrong.

Back