Wayne the Punk's 1st Ashes Test. England v Australia 16-20 June Edgbaston 11:00

Great match that will be talked about for years, while most people will talk about the daft declaration the only disappointing thing for me was the last 10 or so overs.
We reverted to England pre bazball and went defensive and just hoped for something to happen or one of them to make a mistake.
I would have preferred an attacking field that may have taken one of the miss hits they made at the end.
If they got there quicker so what, the last ten overs was the death of a thousand cuts and the opposite of what they preached for the previous 4 days.

On a sub note having Pope close in is a waste of time as his only thought whenever they hit it was self preservation, get someone in who isn't scared of the ball.

Great match that will be talked about for years, while most people will talk about the daft declaration the only disappointing thing for me was the last 10 or so overs.
We reverted to England pre bazball and went defensive and just hoped for something to happen or one of them to make a mistake.
I would have preferred an attacking field that may have taken one of the miss hits they made at the end.
If they got there quicker so what, the last ten overs was the death of a thousand cuts and the opposite of what they preached for the previous 4 days.

On a sub note having Pope close in is a waste of time as his only thought whenever they hit it was self preservation, get someone in who isn't scared of the ball.
The way he flinched at lyons mis hit pull was really poor. You would expect them to have a word with him about that

Pope is normally outstanding close to the wicket tbf. Took a worldy v NZ

Last edited:
On that flat wicket and with all the rain that happened in this match.

Imo there what have been next to no chance of any other result than a draw with a traditional approach.

And would not have been entertaining in the slightest.

With the time taken out of the game and batting traditionally slow both teams would have got a very big score slowly and hardly batted a second innings never mind chance of a result

I am not sure I understand that logic because if we had batted that way extra time to get them 20/30 runs, we would have not had them extra overs to get their 10 wickets.

So if we had done what you say we would have drawn not won as you say
Because we could have had men around the bat.

We finished with the field spread and it was easy for Cummins and Lyon.

Because we could have had men around the bat.

We finished with the field spread and it was easy for Cummins and Lyon.
They would have had less time to bat so would have ended a draw.

The declaring certainly meant we had move chance of losing, but also gave is more chance of winning.

Batting longer in the first innings would have made it more chance of us drawing not winning imo

Last edited:
We should have battered on not declare, even 20-30 runs extra and we may have won.
:lol: Bit of a stretch mind. We wouldn't have taken 20 wickets in less time than we took 18 man. Having more attacking fields made no difference as the mode of dismissal in the match was mainly caught keeper, bowled or caught in the outfield. Not a single slip catch in the entire match.

3 of the best sporting days I’ve been to. I just laugh when I saw a certain poster say it won’t go down as a great game. :lol:

Disagree with most of the chat on here. It seems to be score at 5 an over please but if you get out it’s “reckless”. Absolutely nobody say this when Root is reverse scooping them for 6.

England score runs because of the way, not r”despite it. We can’t grind it out for days. 1 win in 17 to 11 in 14 proves its right.

England played well against the best team in the world, their game plan worked beautifully, they got Australia down to needing 50+ for 2 wickets, then Australia pulled it off, that’s the game. The declaration had nothing to do with it.

View in the stand was should have kept bowing himself with old ball and then broad or Robinson at other end. They couldn’t get the old ball away. Btw Lyon played and missed 5 times. Just need a bit of luck

Bit dismayed to see some quarters trying to claim its vindication England are playing the wrong way, it’s the complete opposite of that.

Lack of fitness in our bowlers late on day 5 cost us.

Amazing game and privelleged to have been there tbh. What an unreal knock by Cummins, the highest ever by s number 9 in a winning run chase. Really was special.

Last edited:
3 of the best sporting days I’ve been to. I just laugh when I saw a certain poster say it won’t go down as a great game. :lol:

Disagree with most of the chat on here. It seems to be score at 5 an over please but if you get out it’s “reckless”. Absolutely nobody say this when Root is reverse scooping them for 6.

England score runs because of the way, not r”despite it. We can’t grind it out for days. 1 win in 17 to 11 in 14 proves its right.

England played well against the best team in the world, their game plan worked beautifully, they got Australia down to needing 50+ for 2 wickets, then Australia pulled it off, that’s the game. The declaration had nothing to do with it.

View in the stand was should have kept bowing himself with old ball and then broad or Robinson at other end. They couldn’t get the old ball away. Btw Lyon played and missed 5 times. Just need a bit of luck

Bit dismayed to see some quarters trying to claim its vindication England are playing the wrong way, it’s the complete opposite of that.

Amazing game and privelleged to have been there tbh. What an unreal knock by Cummins, the highest ever by s number 9 in a winning run chase. Really was special.
I was there on Monday, first time at the Ashes, was class.

Re. Root, I don't think that the reverse scooping is particularly high risk, especially for him. It's a fairly controlled shot. I just think that charging down the wicket when Lyon is turning / varying his delivery is more high risk and was unnecesary, but that's just my opinion.

I was there on Monday, first time at the Ashes, was class.

Re. Root, I don't think that the reverse scooping is particularly high risk, especially for him. It's a fairly controlled shot. I just think that charging down the wicket when Lyon is turning / varying his delivery is more high risk and was unnecesary, but that's just my opinion.

Tbf yeah that’s the one shot I thought was too high risk aye. He was really attacking that day mind I could see him getting out.

In the last Last Ashes series, the only edge of the seat game was the 4th test when Australia declared at 416/8 in their 1st innings, in order to bowl the last 5 overs of the day at the England openers.

In England. We’re abysmal there. But the number of spectators in the venues is still very high.

Not the same way Edgbaston 05 or Headingly 81 or 19 will IMO.

Last edited:

Back