Water bills to rise by average 6% from April

We got a letter the other day saying they are fitting a meter. If we don’t allow it then we will be paying our current rates plus a huge uplift. To be fair I will probably benefit from the meter.

From a instagram page……. Apparently you don’t need to pay for water….. as it’s not “water” just paying for pumped up chemical treated water.

Northumbrian Water

Customer Centre

PO Box 300

Durham

DH1 9WQ

Dear Sir/Madam at Northumbrian Water as my trusted servants,

Thank you for your recent correspondence dated 07 May 2021 and reference (property) number 7415920200.

Before I enter into any contract with Northumbrian water and pay you my hard-earned money for the service you provide that is ‘delivering a clean, clear and safe water supply’, I will need proof that is that case. I will need answers to the following, in writing, along with written evidence.

1. A full breakdown of the chemicals added to the water supply at Northumbrian Water
2. How often each chemical is added to the water supply at Northumbrian Water
3. The amount of each chemical added to the water supply at Northumbrian Water
4. Where the chemicals get added to the water supply
5. What PPE is worn by the Northumbrian Water member of staff when handling these chemicals for application to the water supply

Please forward all the information that I have requested within the next 28 days from the date of this letter and please mark the envelope "information as requested".

Yours Sincerely

The Occupier

Northumbrian Water
Customer Centre
PO Box 300
Durham
DH1 9WQ

Dear Sir/Madam at Northumbrian Water as my trusted public servants,

Thank you for your recent correspondence dated 4th June2021 and for the information you have provided.

As you are unable to provide me with exact chemicals and the amounts in percentages added to the water treatment works that supply this address, I am unable to take this matter further.

After some of my own research, I have found that the chemicals used in the water treatment process are harmful to the human body.

To name a few;

Potassium Chloride effects on the body - Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat, signs of a high potassium level like a heartbeat that does not feel normal; change in thinking clearly and with logic; feeling weak, lightheaded, or dizzy; feel like passing out; numbness or tingling; or shortness of breath, slow heartbeat, chest pain or pressure, signs of bowel problems like black, tarry, or bloody stools; fever; mucus in the stools; throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds; or very bad stomach pain, constipation, or diarrhoea, swelling of belly.

Hexaflurorosilicic acid effects on the body - respiratory acidosis, other possible symptoms include sleepiness, tremors, sweating, anxiety, warm and flushed skin and shortness of breath.

Aluminium Sulphate effects on the body - Burning in the mouth and throat, mild gastrointestinal upset, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, rarely haemorrhagic gastritis, circulatory collapse and multi-organ failure, increased aluminium absorption and retention in bone is reported following acute ingestion without apparent adversesequelae. Chronic exposure to aluminium sulphate in drinking water may be involved in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease though this remains a highly contentious issue.

As you have stated, Northumbrian Water staff wear personal protective equipment (PPE) when handling these chemicals from delivery up to invasive work, therefore it is clear that these chemicals are hazardous to handle even just for delivery. So my question would be why would I want to pay for a service that provides me with ‘drinking water’ with hazardous chemicals in it?

I do not wish to take this matter further as I will not be using your service.

Yours Sincerely

The Occupier

All rights reserved

None waived ever

Got my 6 monthly bill last week. they reckoned i`d used 37000 litres more than normal :lol:.

Had me on checking my toilets for leaks, all 3 did (them silent ones where it just dribbled down the back of the pot into the bowl). However, when i scooped all the water out the meter in the path, some idiot had just read it wrong so it was "normal".
As a bonus, NWL are sending someone next week to fettle the dribbly toilets for free.

Tbf to NWL, I`ve always found them the best utility company by a million miles to actually speak to.

Last edited:
Getting a meter knocked my payments down from around £50 a month to £20 a month.
Same. I’d urge anyone who hasn’t to get a meter but if you do the don’t have the lawn sprinkler on all day.
We’re down to about £9 a month from £45 now we’ve a meter. The low number is because we’ve loads of built up credit not because we don’t wash😀

Got my 6 monthly bill last week. they reckoned i`d used 37000 litres more than normal :lol:.

Had me on checking my toilets for leaks, all 3 did (them silent ones where it just dribbled down the back of the pot into the bowl). However, when i scooped all the water out the meter in the path, some idiot had just read it wrong so it was "normal".
As a bonus, NWL are sending someone next week to fettle the dribbly toilets for free.

Tbf to NWL, I`ve always found them the best utility company by a million miles to actually speak to.

Agreed. I had a massive bill when leaving my old house which accorded to the meter reading.

I paid the bill but asked Northumbria Water to look into it as it was completely out of step with my usage even when living in the house, and I’d moved out several months before it was sold.

They looked into it, agreed it was unfeasible so refunded me the money less what my average bill for the period would have been based on prior usage. Said they’d look into the meter for the next resident.

Water rates were reduced a while back IIRC.

Still scandalous.

They should be under public ownership. It's not like I can move to another company if I'm not happy with Northumbrian water.

I posted yesterday about hoe council tax will likely be £2100 this coming year, almost £500 up from 2018. Mental.

Water rates were reduced a while back IIRC.

Still scandalous.

They should be under public ownership. It's not like I can move to another company if I'm not happy with Northumbrian water.

I posted yesterday about hoe council tax will likely be £2100 this coming year, almost £500 up from 2018. Mental.
Don't take this as I'm sticking up for any council but the cost of all materials has risen massively, government funding has been stripped back and so I guess we are the poor sods who plug the shortfall.

Bet the council tax wouldn't go down if things improved either

Back