WASPI Women Report

Some men have suffered inadvertently.

My Dad was five years older than my Mam and they planned on retiring together at 65 and 60. Mam had to work longer to get her state pension and Dad was bored being in the house on his own, so he got a job delivering prescriptions for a chemist until Mam was of state pension age.

On their first holiday abroad after retiring, he had a heart attack and a stroke which left him paralysed down one side. All their retirement plans went out the window and Mam spent the next five years caring for my Dad instead.

If they'd been able to retire as they planned to, Dad would have had some time to enjoy retirement before he took ill.
I’m sorry to hear about what happened with your parents.
There was an era of younger women married to older men.

Should have retired within a couple of years of each other but ended up too old and not healthy enough to enjoy retirement together when the usually younger wife finally retired.

Government stopped the older retiree being able to claim for the younger partner as well; at least when that was in play if you didn’t mind being cash poor you could have been time rich and enjoyed some time together.

Work for 50yrs and with many of the manual jobs in the region by the time you get to 66/67 you’re knackered.

The whole system needs an overhaul.

They deserve every penny of compensation.
They were left high and dry thanks to the changes ( from the 1995 Pensions Act) - getting implemented by the DWP - and it was imposed on them with lack of appropriate notification by the DWP.
I don’t know anything about this case, but how does it differ from the situation most people are in now where the retirement age gets pushed back every couple of years? Like when I started working it was 65 and I don’t even know what age it will be by the time I’m ready to retire?

They deserve every penny of compensation.
They were left high and dry thanks to the changes ( from the 1995 Pensions Act) - getting implemented by the DWP - and it was imposed on them with lack of appropriate notification by the DWP.

They got 20 years notice. Just because they didn't get a personal letter, it was very well publicised at the time. Maybe I should try the same thing as I've not had any personal notifications about me not getting it until 68.

Last edited:
They got 20 years notice. Just because they didn't get a personal letter, it was very well publicised at the time. Maybe I should try the same thing as I've not had any personal notifications about me not getting it until 68.
I was affected by this and only found out years after the change was announced when I was talking to an older colleague .Somehow while I was busy with two children, a home and a job I obviously managed to miss whatever publicity they thought was good enough:confused:
By the time I found out I had less than 10 years notice and then I was hit with it going up another year. They knew that the information wasn’t getting to the people that were going to be impacted but didn’t do anything about it.
I’m getting my pension now and honestly I don’t think I’ll see any compensation but how could they have made such a mess of something that was going to have such a big impact on people - it beggars belief

Back