Walking up Hills etc.

dixonsafc

Striker
Over the last 18 months with nowt better to do, I've got into walking/scrambling up big hills.

Was in the Lakes last weekend and did Sour Milk Gill up to Base Brown then Green Gable, Windy Pass and up Great Gable. My legs are absolutely fucked today.

We are sorting out doing Ben Nevis on August Bank holiday weekend. Anyone got any advice for some other routes to try in the mean time? Any good youtube channels/books/websites that I should be reading to get some inspiration for decent routes?

Over the last 18 months with nowt better to do, I've got into walking/scrambling up big hills.

Was in the Lakes last weekend and did Sour Milk Gill up to Base Brown then Green Gable, Windy Pass and up Great Gable. My legs are absolutely fucked today.

We are sorting out doing Ben Nevis on August Bank holiday weekend. Anyone got any advice for some other routes to try in the mean time? Any good youtube channels/books/websites that I should be reading to get some inspiration for decent routes?
Cicerone do a good series of books entitled Good Mountain Days. I have the ones covering the Lakes and North Wales. They also have one for the Pennines. You can get electronic versions of the books. Most of the walks in them are fairly challenging 8 - 20 miles with a good bit of ascent . They do a bigger series of books on specific areas of the country. These walks are usually shorter and easier between say 4 and 10 miles often with less ascent. I have a fair few of these. I a normally find them to be well written with sections of OS maps included.

They're not huge hills but I love the North Yorks moors for it. Few places you can start from, Lordstones is good for parking.

Have a look at the Lyke Wake Walk for ideas.

That's a cracking little route. Last done it years back now.

Great Gable has some of the best views of that part of the lakes in my opinion. Far better than the likes of Scafell and Scafell Pike.

As already mentioned alltrails is canny. When you do Ben Nevis go up via the CMD arête route. It’s hard work but it’s absolutely class, we went back down the more touristy path and it was absolutely packed and boring as ferk. Constantly stopping to give way for people and dogs.

Snowdon is good, though I found it tougher than Ben Nevis

I've been watching this channel, very enjoyable - it isn't something I do but enjoy the scenery, he does plenty of walks as well as wild camping

My mate, 61yo, works for a company that provides mountain leaders to Charities etc doing fundraising in the hills and mountains.
His schedule seems a bit brutal, 3 consecutive weekends this June.
Twice up Ben Nevis on a Saturday via Mor Dearg Arete.
Then the next two weekends National Three Peaks !!

Back