Walking to get blokes talking - SAFC V Stoke

Absolutely class. Those of yous who are thinking about doing this for help but feel akward, just get out and do it. Once you start walking you do open up alot more. You might even find people feel the same as you do. you may even go for help and find yourself helping someone else which in turn will make you feel good too!

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to spread the word on here to hopefully get some of you on board.

This year, we will be undertaking a campaign called 'Walking To Get Blokes Talking’, Where we will be hosting walks throughout the year, to support men and encourage them to seek help.

So, on March 4th we will be walking from Mariners Park, the home of South Shields FC, all the way to the SoL, home of the lads.

The walk is open to everyone and we encourage you to bring your partners, dogs, dads, uncles, whoever, to join us.

The walk is going to be a huge show of solidarity to any men out there who attend the match or otherwise and who're having a hard time, removing the stigma of talking about their mental health and hopefully, get some people the help they need. We want this to be a huge show of support from the footballing community, so lads and lasses, please join us!

I’m trying to put Sunderland on the map for our community helping to sort the suicide crisis we currently face up here. I’m sure you will all have seen the emergency services on the bridge 4 times last week.

As a little reminder, suicide is the biggest killer of men under 49, the most at risk age bracket is 45-49.

It’ll be a good walk, plenty laughs and lots of red and white. We will be arriving at the SoL for between 2 & half past. What a show of solidarity it would be to any lads out there suffering, to see their whole community out in support.

Hopefully see you all there. HWTL

I can’t like this enough, this is absolutely fantastic so well done, feeling like you’ve got no place to turn, feeling like you’re a burden and feeling alone can be absolutely crippling.

This is fantastic what you’ve put together so I’m sure you’re going to have a massive turnout and I’m sure a lot of men will benefit from this!!

I’d be there with bells on if I wasn’t 5500 miles away - fantastic and well done 👏🏻 🔴 ⚪❤️

Oh I can be up n down like a roller coaster but understand things a lot better, changed a lot of habits for the better like just going one day at a time, talking helped raising awareness is the way forward for so many who think blokes just have to man up
Aren’t we all mate. Manning up is an absolute bullshite statement from anyone,no such thing.
Happiness or living in some cases doesn’t come from being a man!

Aren’t we all mate. Manning up is an absolute bullshite statement from anyone,no such thing.
Happiness or living in some cases doesn’t come from being a man!
I agree, there's things we should do ie: work hard raise kids pay bills make family feel safe and happy but we have every right to have the same fears, concerns, confidence issues as anyone and sometimes they can take their toll

I agree, there's things we should do ie: work hard raise kids pay bills make family feel safe and happy but we have every right to have the same fears, concerns, confidence issues as anyone and sometimes they can take their toll
Aye I do the same, mg biggest issue is striving for Better for my mrs and son. Never ever want them to feel worthless. Sometimes I do and it’s nobody’s fault that’s just me. But I’m
Sure they feel the same.
Keep up your good fight with the fitness,I find mine in weight loss, not a big thing to some
But going from the 18 to 15 stone was huge. Put something some on over Xmas but in someways gives me a new target

Sounds absolutely fantastic, can’t get there on the day as I have plans, not sure if I’ll even get to the match!

Please keep us updated on how it goes though and any future walks as me and the dog will be up for this next time 🙂

Can't like this enough, barring work I'll be there to proudly walk alongside you all
Same here.
For those that want to join you, is there any more information about the arrangements - ie. what time you will set off from Mariners Park, any transport detail etc?

Do you want people to let you know if they plan attending so you have a rough idea of numbers?
Is there a way to move this into the pure football forum as more people might see it there?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

This year, we will be undertaking a campaign called 'Walking To Get Blokes Talking’, Where we will be hosting walks throughout the year, to support men and encourage them to seek help.

So, on March 4th we will be walking from Mariners Park, the home of South Shields FC, all the way to the SoL, home of the lads.

The walk is open to everyone and we encourage you to bring your partners, dogs, dads, uncles, whoever, to join us.

The walk is going to be a huge show of solidarity to any men out there who attend the match or otherwise and who're having a hard time, removing the stigma of talking about their mental health and hopefully, get some people the help they need. We want this to be a huge show of support from the footballing community, so lads and lasses, please join us!

I’m trying to put Sunderland on the map for our community helping to sort the suicide crisis we currently face up here. I’m sure you will all have seen the emergency services on the bridge 4 times last week.

As a little reminder, suicide is the biggest killer of men under 49, the most at risk age bracket is 45-49.

It’ll be a good walk, plenty laughs and lots of red and white. We will be arriving at the SoL for between 2 & half past. What a show of solidarity it would be to any lads out there suffering, to see their whole community out in support.

Is the Stoke Game kicking off at 3? Great idea BTW

Hello everyone,

That’s brilliant that, we’ll done.

Hello everyone,

Great effort- all the best.

best of luck i really hope people turn up and are helped by this, if your feeling a bit crap then please go and talk , if you dont want to talk then just walk, please please just go

Back