Walking to get blokes talking - SAFC V Stoke

SPACEnortheast

Goalkeeper
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to spread the word on here to hopefully get some of you on board.

This year, we will be undertaking a campaign called 'Walking To Get Blokes Talking’, Where we will be hosting walks throughout the year, to support men and encourage them to seek help.

So, on March 4th we will be walking from Mariners Park, the home of South Shields FC, all the way to the SoL, home of the lads.

The walk is open to everyone and we encourage you to bring your partners, dogs, dads, uncles, whoever, to join us.

The walk is going to be a huge show of solidarity to any men out there who attend the match or otherwise and who're having a hard time, removing the stigma of talking about their mental health and hopefully, get some people the help they need. We want this to be a huge show of support from the footballing community, so lads and lasses, please join us!

I’m trying to put Sunderland on the map for our community helping to sort the suicide crisis we currently face up here. I’m sure you will all have seen the emergency services on the bridge 4 times last week.

As a little reminder, suicide is the biggest killer of men under 49, the most at risk age bracket is 45-49.

It’ll be a good walk, plenty laughs and lots of red and white. We will be arriving at the SoL for between 2 & half past. What a show of solidarity it would be to any lads out there suffering, to see their whole community out in support.

Hopefully see you all there. HWTL

Hello everyone,

This year, we will be undertaking a campaign called 'Walking To Get Blokes Talking’, Where we will be hosting walks throughout the year, to support men and encourage them to seek help.

So, on March 4th we will be walking from Mariners Park, the home of South Shields FC, all the way to the SoL, home of the lads.

The walk is open to everyone and we encourage you to bring your partners, dogs, dads, uncles, whoever, to join us.

The walk is going to be a huge show of solidarity to any men out there who attend the match or otherwise and who're having a hard time, removing the stigma of talking about their mental health and hopefully, get some people the help they need. We want this to be a huge show of support from the footballing community, so lads and lasses, please join us!

I’m trying to put Sunderland on the map for our community helping to sort the suicide crisis we currently face up here. I’m sure you will all have seen the emergency services on the bridge 4 times last week.

As a little reminder, suicide is the biggest killer of men under 49, the most at risk age bracket is 45-49.

It’ll be a good walk, plenty laughs and lots of red and white. We will be arriving at the SoL for between 2 & half past. What a show of solidarity it would be to any lads out there suffering, to see their whole community out in support.

Quality this, marra.
I'll look to get there around graft.
Good luck with it ❤️🤍

Hello everyone,

Can't like this enough, barring work I'll be there to proudly walk alongside you all

Great stuff this marra, as someone who wasn't in a good place just a couple a year back I reached out to a lad on hear in the depression thread, well fortunately due to his guidance and joining a men's talk group I came through it and in a better place, how far is the walk?? I'd like to think I could mamage it but not sure, is there social media links too to raise awareness,

Edit 2hr 15, and 6.7 mile, I've gone from managing 2 km to over 4 mile in the past 6 months so this is definitely a target I'd like to aim for

Last edited:
Great stuff this marra, as someone who wasn't in a good place just a couple a year back I reached out to a lad on hear in the depression thread, well fortunately due to his guidance and joining a men's talk group I came through it and in a better place, how far is the walk?? I'd like to think I could mamage it but not sure, is there social media links too to raise awareness, i
Amazing to hear mate, sometimes all it takes is someone to listen man. Hoping some of those conversations can happen on the day.

Yes, Instagram: SPACE North East CIC on Instagram: "🚶‍♂️Our first event of the year 🚶‍♂️ This year, @spacenortheast will be undertaking a campaign called ‘Walking To Get Blokes Talking’ (Thank you @grantedmundson 😅) Where we will be hosting walks throughout the year, to support men and encourage them to seek help. So, on March 4th we will be walking from Mariners Park, the home of @southshieldsfc, all the way to the SoL, home of the almighty @sunderlandafcofficial. The walk is open to everyone and we encourage you to bring your partners, dogs, dads, uncles, whoever, to join us. The walk is going to be a huge show of solidarity to any men out there who attend the match or otherwise and who’re having a hard time, removing the stigma of talking about their mental health and hopefully, get some people the help they need. We want this to be a huge show of support from the footballing community, so lads and lasses, please join us and spread the word. The walk will take approximately 2 hours and we will be arriving at the Bobby Stokoe statue between 2-2:30pm for the game V @stokecity. Thank you and we hope to see you there in your colours, whatever they may be. Remember, talking helps. #sunderland #southshields #mensmentalhealth"

Twitter:
The walk will take around 2 hours, about 8 miles. We might end up stopping half way though, undecided.

Amazing to hear mate, sometimes all it takes is someone to listen man. Hoping some of those conversations can happen on the day.

Yes, Instagram: SPACE North East CIC on Instagram: "🚶‍♂️Our first event of the year 🚶‍♂️ This year, @spacenortheast will be undertaking a campaign called ‘Walking To Get Blokes Talking’ (Thank you @grantedmundson 😅) Where we will be hosting walks throughout the year, to support men and encourage them to seek help. So, on March 4th we will be walking from Mariners Park, the home of @southshieldsfc, all the way to the SoL, home of the almighty @sunderlandafcofficial. The walk is open to everyone and we encourage you to bring your partners, dogs, dads, uncles, whoever, to join us. The walk is going to be a huge show of solidarity to any men out there who attend the match or otherwise and who’re having a hard time, removing the stigma of talking about their mental health and hopefully, get some people the help they need. We want this to be a huge show of support from the footballing community, so lads and lasses, please join us and spread the word. The walk will take approximately 2 hours and we will be arriving at the Bobby Stokoe statue between 2-2:30pm for the game V @stokecity. Thank you and we hope to see you there in your colours, whatever they may be. Remember, talking helps. #sunderland #southshields #mensmentalhealth"

Twitter:
The walk will take around 2 hours, about 8 miles. We might end up stopping half way though, undecided.
Thank you, I've just followed on insta,

I seen Roker Report post about this on twitter last night and forgot to retweet it myself. Will do now and although I won't be able to be there for the walk, I wish everyone a great walk and hope that people can make new friends in the battle against suicide.

Are you taking money on the day to help towards better provisions @SPACEnortheast or is there any way to donate?

Hello everyone,

Drums & Pyro ? 😉
Seriously , good stuff mate 👍

I seen Roker Report post about this on twitter last night and forgot to retweet it myself. Will do now and although I won't be able to be there for the walk, I wish everyone a great walk and hope that people can make new friends in the battle against suicide.

Are you taking money on the day to help towards better provisions @SPACEnortheast or is there any way to donate?
No mate this is just about bringing people together and hopefully getting some to come forward for help. So we’re not raising money for us or anything directly.

Our website is almost live and there will be a donation option on there if people wanted to.

Hello everyone,

👏👏👏👏

Hello everyone,

It’s going to be very cathartic to hurl abuse at Alex Neil at the end of a relaxing walk ;)

Hello everyone,

Well done mate.
I finally spoke up about a few things to my family and friends the other week, after many years of hiding it away, and it felt good.

It’s going to be very cathartic to hurl abuse at Alex Neil at the end of a relaxing walk ;)

Life’s about balance marra 🤣
Well done mate.
I finally spoke up about a few things to my family and friends the other week, after many years of hiding it away, and it felt good.
Top man. Takes a lot of balls mate, been there myself, so fair play for doing it. Hopefully things start feeling a bit better for you now 👍🏼

Great stuff this marra, as someone who wasn't in a good place just a couple a year back I reached out to a lad on hear in the depression thread, well fortunately due to his guidance and joining a men's talk group I came through it and in a better place, how far is the walk?? I'd like to think I could mamage it but not sure, is there social media links too to raise awareness,

Edit 2hr 15, and 6.7 mile, I've gone from managing 2 km to over 4 mile in the past 6 months so this is definitely a target I'd like to aim for
Well done pal. Every day is a constant battle for some. Others it comes and goes. Pleased you have come the other side of your shit. Life is a battle, never look back. Always have the goal, even if it is this walk. Well done.

Well done pal. Every day is a constant battle for some. Others it comes and goes. Pleased you have come the other side of your shit. Life is a battle, never look back. Always have the goal, even if it is this walk. Well done.
Oh I can be up n down like a roller coaster but understand things a lot better, changed a lot of habits for the better like just going one day at a time, talking helped raising awareness is the way forward for so many who think blokes just have to man up

Well done mate.
Had the discussion with my doctor many years ago and I’m nowhere near severe in terms of depression I do suffer from ADHD and autism,not to an extent I don’t function daily but anxiety is a massive problem. Finding a way to live is an absolute victory and it doesn’t matter if big
Or small. Understanding is the absolute relief you need though. My partner,she’s it for me.she gets the mood swings etc. I am
Lucky.

Back