Vitamin D

Status
Not open for further replies.
People on the shielding list have been sent a three month supply of vitamin D to tide them over the winter and to help restore low levels from lockdown over the past year.

Wouldn’t waste your money on a sun bed. A quick google shows:

Getting enough vitamin D from tanning beds isn’t possible. The bulbs used in tanning beds emit mostly UVA light; however, your body needs UVB light to make vitamin D.
To get vitamin D safely, board-certified dermatologists recommend eating a healthy diet. If you’re still not getting enough vitamin D, consider taking a supplement.

And another:

While any exposure to UVB radiation can increase vitamin D levels, such increases through sunbed exposures plateau rapidly and are outweighed by the risks. Sun beds also emit high levels of UVA, which can cause melanoma but do not contribute to vitamin D production.

Also, my friend was a regular user of sunbeds. She developed melanoma and died, leaving a husband and two children growing up without their mother. I'd never go on a sunbed and take a daily multivitamin and minerals tablet that has vitamin D in it.

Took vitamin d regularly but didn't stop me getting ir being bad off covid. Whether I would of got it sooner or worse, who knows. Cannot do any harm taking it though.

People on the shielding list have been sent a three month supply of vitamin D to tide them over the winter and to help restore low levels from lockdown over the past year.

Have they? Can anyone on the shielding list confirm?

I'm on the list but I'm already prescribed vitamin D for another condition.

Have they? Can anyone on the shielding list confirm?

I'm on the list but I'm already prescribed vitamin D for another condition.

I posted a link to it a in January:

I saw it on another forum and shared it here. I didn't get the link sent to me from the NHS but I got removed from the shielding list, so I don't know if it was sent to others.

SK is the only developed nation there and they’ve contained the pandemic very well, oh and Singapore too.
Singapore is almost on OCD levels with public cleanliness at the best of times (my mum’s best friend lived out there about half the year for 15 years because of her husband’s job), their culture probably helped stop the spread before they put extra measures in place.

At the start of the Pandemic, I read that our ability to synthesise protein would be the key to survivng Covid. A year later and that seems to have been proved, and even taking into account different levels of lockdown and testing it's pretty conclusive. Southern Asians have the highest levels of vitamin D.

Here are the fatality rates per 1,000,000

India 113
Pakistan 57
Bangladesh 51
Malaysia 35
Myanmar 59
S Korea 22
Sri Lanka 22
Singapore 5
Thailand 1
Vietnam 0.4

Vitamin D deficiency in western dwelling South Asian populations: an unrecognised epidemic | Proceedings of the Nutrition Society | Cambridge Core

Vitamin D courses are saving the lives of 60% of hospitalised cases.

Serious question: Would regular use of a sunbed give us added protection?
Very unfair assertion based on no scientific fact. These countries have problems with living conditions and alsorts, so generally will have less old people to kill off with the old people killing virus. They don’t record deaths properly, don’t test comprehensively to know who’s dying, don’t all offer healthcare to the bulk of its citizens due to pricing them out and have a pre-existing culture which means their citizens know how to deal with wearing masks, social distancing, etc., unlike the entitled pricks in this country who cannot wear a mask while going shopping as it offends their human rights or some shite.

Very unfair assertion based on no scientific fact. These countries have problems with living conditions and alsorts, so generally will have less old people to kill off with the old people killing virus. They don’t record deaths properly, don’t test comprehensively to know who’s dying, don’t all offer healthcare to the bulk of its citizens due to pricing them out and have a pre-existing culture which means their citizens know how to deal with wearing masks, social distancing, etc., unlike the entitled pricks in this country who cannot wear a mask while going shopping as it offends their human rights or some shite.

My post wasn't a feed or a platform for rant's that have nothing to do with my immaculate lockdown behaviour, just an innocent observation. You could have written that without involving me.

Smoke a fat one man...life's too short for all that posturing.

My post wasn't a feed or a platform for rant's that have nothing to do with my immaculate lockdown behaviour, just an innocent observation. You could have written that without involving me.

Smoke a fat one man...life's too short for all that posturing.
Rant? There’s many factors which prove why your assertion is incorrect. I listed them for you. You can’t just prove whatever you like with numbers when there is no actual causal link between the numbers

Rant? There’s many factors which prove why your assertion is incorrect. I listed them for you. You can’t just prove whatever you like with numbers when there is no actual causal link between the numbers

I think you've missed the point.....I don't mind being wrong, that's how we learn. It's a post on a forum...forget it, move on, listen to some Joni Mitchell 👍

Taking a vitamin d supplement is sensible to do anyway. And eat a nutrious diet based on unprocessed food. One thing I agree with Ian Brown on.

Why unprocessed? People have this obsession with ‘processed’ food being bad, but a tin of chopped tomatoes is ‘processed’ and objectively better for you than raw tomatoes.

Pasteurised milk is processed, and definitely a better idea than drinking raw milk :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back