Vitamin D

Gelan

Winger
At the start of the Pandemic, I read that our ability to synthesise protein would be the key to survivng Covid. A year later and that seems to have been proved, and even taking into account different levels of lockdown and testing it's pretty conclusive. Southern Asians have the highest levels of vitamin D.

Here are the fatality rates per 1,000,000

India 113
Pakistan 57
Bangladesh 51
Malaysia 35
Myanmar 59
S Korea 22
Sri Lanka 22
Singapore 5
Thailand 1
Vietnam 0.4

Vitamin D deficiency in western dwelling South Asian populations: an unrecognised epidemic | Proceedings of the Nutrition Society | Cambridge Core

Vitamin D courses are saving the lives of 60% of hospitalised cases.

Serious question: Would regular use of a sunbed give us added protection?

Last edited:

At the start of the Pandemic, I read that our ability to synthesise protein would be the key to survivng Covid. A year later and that seems to have been proved, and even taking into account different levels of lockdown and testing it's pretty conclusive. Southern Asians have the highest levels of vitamin D.

India 113
Pakistan 57
Bangladesh 51
Malaysia 35
Myanmar 59
S Korea 22
Sri Lanka 22
Singapore 5
Thailand 1
Vietnam 0.4

Vitamin D deficiency in western dwelling South Asian populations: an unrecognised epidemic | Proceedings of the Nutrition Society | Cambridge Core

Don"t bother with a sun-bed, just take the tablets, 400 for £8.99 off Amazon

India 113
Pakistan 57
Bangladesh 51
Malaysia 35
Myanmar 59
S Korea 22
Sri Lanka 22
Singapore 5
Thailand 1
Vietnam 0.4

You don’t believe the death figs produced by most of those countries do u, how many Of them actually have an official death Registration System in place to start with
Don"t bother with a sun-bed, just take the tablets, 400 for £8.99 off Amazon
RIP off, lot cheaper at your local pharmacy

You don’t believe the death figs produced by most of those countries do u, how many Of them actually have an official death Registration System in place to start with

If you can tell me how many of those countries don't have official death registration systems I'll reconsider my post...can't be fairer than that. But vitamin D is still a big factor.

ps. Ironically the UK and Belgium have included all "died with Covid" deaths. Most countries haven't. We can only work with the information we have.

Last edited:
If you can tell me how many of those countries don't have official death registration systems I'll reconsider my post...can't be fairer than that. But vitamin D is still a big factor.

ps. Ironically the UK and Belgium have included all "died with Covid" deaths. Most countries haven't. We can only work with the information we have.

You also have the choice not to make sweeping statements based on faulty numbers.

Of those nations only South Korea has a higher life expectancy than the UK at 82, compared to our 81. All the others seem to be in the 66-76 range. So even if the figures aren't totally official, generally they've got fewer older people where the bulk of the death figures are found.

I had a bit D deficiency a few years back and was prescribed a course of medication. Ive taken vitamin d supplement every day during the autumn through winter ever since

Cheers 👍
So every country I mentioned is in that swathe of unofficial figures. The big question is...why do so called experts / researchers put together stuff when that map says to anyone with a brain "Don't bother"

I'm still going to get a sunbed nonetheless.
Wouldn’t waste your money on a sun bed. A quick google shows:

Getting enough vitamin D from tanning beds isn’t possible. The bulbs used in tanning beds emit mostly UVA light; however, your body needs UVB light to make vitamin D.
To get vitamin D safely, board-certified dermatologists recommend eating a healthy diet. If you’re still not getting enough vitamin D, consider taking a supplement.

And another:

While any exposure to UVB radiation can increase vitamin D levels, such increases through sunbed exposures plateau rapidly and are outweighed by the risks. Sun beds also emit high levels of UVA, which can cause melanoma but do not contribute to vitamin D production.

Back