Victoria viaduct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never noticed a gap at the south end , if I’d seen one I’d have gone on to the viaduct , must be 20 years since I’ve been on it.
Looks like it's just blocked off to vehicles rather than pedestrians...

Looks like it's just blocked off to vehicles rather than pedestrians...

that was taken 3 years ago.

Sure it didn't have those railings on the sides when I crossed 5/6 years ago, I'm normally alright with heights but was feeling a bit queasy.

Sure it didn't have those railings on the sides when I crossed 5/6 years ago, I'm normally alright with heights but was feeling a bit queasy.
Which railings? The main ones running across the bridge? If so they’ve been there since it was made. Had a pal when we were kids used to climb over and hang of them. Used to make me feel ill watching him like.

Which railings? The main ones running across the bridge? If so they’ve been there since it was made. Had a pal when we were kids used to climb over and hang of them. Used to make me feel ill watching him like.
Oh, was probably just being soft as shite then.

Used to be the quickest way to the Corgi pond when I was a kid but me and my mates never had the bottle to do it. It wasn't the height we were scared of but if a train came when you were in the middle.

I walked over it in the 90s was perfectly safe then.....

Technically it is still perfectly safe now. The whole line is still owned by Network Rail who have to maintain the structures in a safe condition or demolish them. The viaduct is grade 2* Listed so the latter isn't an option.

Technically it is still perfectly safe now. The whole line is still owned by Network Rail who have to maintain the structures in a safe condition or demolish them. The viaduct is grade 2* Listed so the latter isn't an option.

Last time I was over (5+ years ago), some of the coping stones on the parapet were loose and the edge railings missing. I presume it’s more cost effective and less risk to shut it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back