Venice and Rome tips

timharding

Midfield
Going to Italy soon - only for a week

Arrive in Venice and looking to go to Rome

Was looking to hire a car and drive down to Rome ?

Or is there another way ? Which smb would recommend ?

Also where is the best place to stay in Venice?

Any other tips ?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Any other tips ?

Thanks in advance

Tim

for Venice, stay in lido di jesolo, it's a nice beach resort, and you just get a quick ferry over to Venice, so it will be way way cheaper than stopping in the heart of venice itself
went to Rome in feb for the 6 nations, can't remember the hotel name (I can ask the bod who organised it) but it was spot on, 5-10 minute walk from the main attractions, and very decently priced

for Venice, stay in lido di jesolo, it's a nice beach resort, and you just get a quick ferry over to Venice, so it will be way way cheaper than stopping in the heart of venice itself
went to Rome in feb for the 6 nations, can't remember the hotel name (I can ask the bod who organised it) but it was spot on, 5-10 minute walk from the main attractions, and very decently priced
been to Lido a few times. Nice spot

Never been to Venice. Don’t wanna go. Put off by the reports of crowds and cost

Went to Rome. Stayed in a self catering apartment. Inexpensive. Arranged loads of tours with viatours to beat the queues. Walked everywhere. Loved it.

Doesn’t answer any of the questions but thought I’d share. You’re welcome.

This. We stopped in the Principe Palace there a few years ago, got stung stupid costs to do an excursion with thomsons :oops: anyway, went to the tabac opposite a day or so later, bought a ticket at the fraction of the cost which got us on the bus and then a ferry over into Venice, jobs a good'n.

Any other tips ?

Thanks in advance

Tim

I'd imagine driving in Rome being a nightmare, get the train, be nicer I bet.

Driving in Rome is nowhere nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Much worse in Naples. You'll be fine driving. I got the train from and stayed in Padua as it saved a bomb and was really quick into Venice.

Always get the Eurostar however. The local trains are shit beyond belief.

Having said that, it's been a dream of mine to drive from Venice to Naples following my grandfathers footsteps in ww2. Plenty of stops you can make on the way on famous battlefields.

Last visit in Rome stopped in Hotel Quirinale in Internazionale area I think very nice

Definitely at least visit Lido di Jesolo. It’s a lovely beach, and hardly had anyone on it when we went in September. Once you’ve had a walk round Venice, you’ll probably not want to again.

In Rome, walk everywhere. The building/structures are truly magnificent. The Vatican tour was also really interesting.

Stayed on Via Venetian in Rome. Quite handy. Get some authentic Carbonara as well. Much better than over here. No cream.
Never been to Venice, but I would imagine you would need to try a Cornetto.

Pre-book your attraction tickets online before you go as well. Especially the Vatican. You'll thank me later

Stayed in both Rome and Venice over the years but last year went to Florence and did the train to Venice 2.5 hrs in the high speed train. About 60 Euro return each. Was ther for 845am. Back in the train at 5.30. Station on the grand canal

Back