Vendee Globe non stop race

I was just looking at the tracker... What happened to Conrad Colman just West of Portugal? Looks like he just went round in circles for a week?

Not too long for Seb now. Haway Seb son!!

News

TWO DAYS FROM THE CONCLUSION OF THE 8TH VENDÉE GLOBE
WEDNESDAY 08 MARCH 2017, 08H21
The final sprint is on for the only competitor still racing in the 2016-2017 Vendée Globe. Sébastien Destremau is sailing in ideal conditions on his way to Les Sables d’Olonne. But on Thursday evening, he will have to deal with one final transition, which will determine the time of his arrival. If this wind shift happens quickly, he may reach Les Sables early in the afternoon on Friday.

Logon or register to see this image

When Sébastien Destremau finishes, it will bring an end to the eighth Vendée Globe. The skipper of TechnoFirst-faceOcean will take eighteenth place around fifty days after the winner, Armel Le Cléac’h. Never before have so many competitors managed to complete their voyage around the world in the Vendée Globe.

A weather transition to be the final judge

Sailing to the north of the centre of an area of high pressure, Destremau is taking advantage of a 25-30 knot SW’ly wind, allowing him to keep up good speeds. He will be sailing today in a 3-4m swell. The wind is expected to continue to blow until late this afternoon. Tomorrow his speed is expected to be slower with a 15-20 knot SW’ly wind, but late in the day, the wind will drop to below five knots, before backing to the SE. That is when the arrival time will become clearer. If the wind shift happens quickly, Sébastien Destremau should finish early in the afternoon on Friday. If the new wind takes longer to arrive, he will be later. He can enter the harbour from 1100 to 1800hrs UTC.
He's done well not to be in too close to shore this week. We had Tempete (storm) Zeus hitting as we crossed the channel Sunday night/ Monday morning. 194 kph winds recorded at Ouessant. We had 174 kph, trees and power lines down all over the shop.

Not a good time to be at sea!

I just finished chain sawing a huge branch which broke off a pine and flattened one of our apple trees.

SÉBASTIEN DESTREMAU EXPECTED BETWEEN 1400 AND 1700HRS UTC ON FRIDAY
THURSDAY 09 MARCH 2017, 08H45
Sébastien Destremau will be welcomed home as a hero tomorrow, but there is one final hurdle before he reaches Les Sables d’Olonne, as tonight, he is going to have to deal with a wind hole. His ETA is between 1400 and 1700hrs UTC. Sébastien has until 1715hrs to enter the harbour. With his finish, the curtain will fall on this eighth Vendée Globe.

In every edition of the Vendée Globe, the final skipper to finish has always received a fantastic welcome back to Les Sables and that will certainly be the case tomorrow. After just over 124 days of sailing, Sébastien Destremau (TechnoFirst-faceOcean) will be able to celebrate the conclusion of his first solo round the world voyage and his eighteenth place in the Vendée Globe.

One final night in light airs…
Sébastien did not have very much experience of solo sailing before setting out in the Vendée Globe. He has been the only skipper still racing since last Thursday when Dutchman Pieter Heerema (No Way Back) finished. Destremau took 110 days of food with him and has been on rations for a fortnight. He is certainly in a hurry now to reach land.

This morning, Sébastien Destremau is sailing in a SW’ly wind that is easing off (around ten knots). He is heading towards the SE to wait for the wind shift. The breeze will back southerly and then to the SE. This evening at around 1900hrs UTC, the sailor from Toulon will find himself in very light airs. The start of the night looks complicated with a wind hole blocking his route to Les Sables d’Olonne. Tomorrow morning he should pick up a light SE’ly and so he is expected to finish between 1400 and 1700hrs on Friday. Destremau needs to put his foot down to be able to enter the harbour entrance to Port Olona. If he can’t make it before 1715hrs, he will have to wait until the following morning to celebrate with the crowds.

Gutted I'm heading home tomorrow as I have to fly out to Malaysia on Sunday otherwise I'd have headed down to Sables d'Allone and planted a git big smacker on Seb.
Must be quite an event when they get back like. Would love to have been there tomorrow for Seb. Sounds like one of life's true one offs. Mind they are all nuts like. Fecking big bollocks though the lot of them.

One last night for Seb. Will get a fantastic reception tomorrow. Haway Seb son

News

SÉBASTIEN DESTREMAU TO CROSS THE LINE THIS EVENING AND TO ENTER THE HARBOUR TOMORROW AFTERNOON
FRIDAY 10 MARCH 2017, 10H37
Sébastien Destremau is less than fifty miles from the finish in Les Sables d’Olonne. But he is not expected to finish before 1800hrs UTC, as the wind is set to drop away forcing the skipper of TechnoFirst-faceOcean to tack in light airs. He will therefore not be able to enter the harbour today because of the tide and now intends to make his entrance tomorrow from 1200hrs UTC. The final competitor in 8th Vendée Globe can look forward to huge crowds welcoming him.

Sébastien Destremau’s progress can now be monitored every six minutes on the tracker as he is within the sixty-mile zone. Destremau is currently sailing in a ten knot SE’ly wind. But this breeze is forecast to ease during the day until there is hardly any wind as he approaches Les Sables d’Olonne. He is now expected to cross the finish this evening and due to the tide will be unable to enter the harbour after 1715hrs UTC. He will therefore spend the night on board and make his entrance into the harbour early tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:
He's back.

SÉBASTIEN DESTREMAU TAKES 18TH PLACE TO BRING THE VENDÉE GLOBE TO A CLOSE
SATURDAY 11 MARCH 2017, 01H55
Sébastien Destremau (TechnoFirst–faceOcean) crossed the Vendée Globe finish line off Les Sables d’Olonne in eighteenth place at 040hrs UTC on Saturday 11th March 2017 after 124 days, 12 hours, 38 minutes and 18 seconds of racing since the start on 6th November. The skipper from Toulon is the final competitor to complete this eighth edition of the non-stop solo round the world race. The curtain falls on the 2016-2017 Vendée Globe fifty days after the winner, Armel Le Cléac’h (Banque Populaire VIII), who finished on 19th January.

Although born in Brittany 52 years ago, Sébastien Destremau is now based in Toulon. After an Olympic preparation in the Flying Dutchman class, he took part in several major crewed races, such as the Volvo Ocean Race and the Sydney–Hobart. He later became a consultant, setting up a video magazine covering race news. It was in 2015 that the skipper acquired the Imoca 60 TechnoFirst-faceOcean built in 1998, which had already clocked up two Vendée Globe races – firstly with Josh Hall (9th in 2000-2001) and then with Steve White (8th in 2008-2009). After a delivery trip from Cape Town to Toulon, Sébastien Destremau qualified for the round the world race by competing in the Calero Solo Transat, between Lanzarote and Newport, Rhode Island. Before the start, the French skipper described his boat as being “ultra simple, like a bicycle without gears”.

This inability to step up the speed was confirmed very early on in the race, when the skipper, whose only goal was to complete the round the world voyage, found himself at the rear of the fleet. He would attempt to take a short cut close to the coast of Africa, but to no avail. In the third week of racing, his starter motor failed and following in the footsteps of Michel Desjoyeaux, he was forced to come up with an alternative method to start his engine to fill his ballast tanks, using a rope and sail power. Destremau was successful in his makeshift technique, but the method was time consuming.

As he approached the first of the three major capes, Good Hope, the French skipper was joined by Catalan skipper, Didac Costa (OnePlanet- OneOcean). The Spaniard, who had set sail four days after returning to the port of Les Sables d’Olonne after problems with his electronics, soon made his getaway ahead of TechnoFirst-faceOcean, which passed the longitude of the Cape of Good Hope on 11th December. Destremau would set off across the Indian Ocean close to Romain Attanasio, who had been forced to sail to South Africa to carry out repairs. By Cape Leeuwin they were joined by Dutch skipper Pieter Heerema bringing up the rear of the eighth Vendée Globe to the south of Australia. In strong winds, Destremau, who felt no real pressure on him, was quite happy to reduce the sail. “Of course, we’re not as quick, but we may go much further than some.” It was in the Southern Ocean that Destremau fully understood what he was accomplishing. “I can hardly believe it. We are just normal guys, but we’re doing something superhuman.” He was also well aware of the dangers of finding himself alone in the middle of the Pacific and so decided to carry out a thorough check with a pit stop off Tasmania from 3rd to 6th January. When he set sail again, he was almost a thousand miles behind Pieter Heerema.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...ce-ocean-skipper-sebastien-de-r-1600-1200.jpgWhen Sébastien Destremau finally left the Southern Ocean, rounding Cape Horn on 29th January, the first six boats had already finished the round the world voyage. As he sailed up the coast of Argentina, 17thplaced Pieter Heerema was some 1200 miles ahead. The climb back up the South Atlantic would take three weeks with Destremau finally returning to the Northern Hemisphere on 19th February, but the voyage was far from over, as it would take just under three weeks more to sail from the Equator to the finish line off Les Sables d’Olonne.

During the final fortnight of racing, it was the lack of food that become a worry for the skipper of TechnoFirst-faceOcean. He had to ration himself to one meal a day and his attempts at fishing off the Azores were not enough to provide him with enough food.

Jenny Launay / M&M

Absolute top geezer is Seb. What an effort.

SEBASTIEN DESTREMAU LOOKS BACK AT 124 DAYS OF BEING ALONE

SATURDAY 11 MARCH 2017, 15H55

It was obvious for anyone following this race that for Sébastien Destremau, the solo round the world voyage was anything but easy. Technical problems, calms, storms, being alone… Last night after finishing the race fifty days after the winner, Armel Le Cléac’h, the skipper of TechnoFirst-faceOcean gave us his first impressions. Then this afternoon, after a good night’s rest, he entered the harbour in Les Sables d’Olonne marking the conclusion to this eighth edition of the Vendée Globe. The crowds were there to welcome him home on this sunny afternoon as for every skipper completing the race. Destremau looking thinner after rationing his food for the last fortnight answered questions from the waiting journalists on the pontoon before climbing on the podium and holding a press conference. Here is what the skipper has been saying.

First impressions

“The Vendée Globe is something for people with mental problems! There is the enormous pressure on you to finish that you feel day and night. Because it can come to an end at any moment. Then, there are the occasional difficulties, which are extremely difficult, but that you can deal with. There is the fact that you’re alone. That can cause you to feel certain emotions. Things that you don’t feel elsewhere, maybe because you don’t allow yourself to feel. When you’re alone on a boat, you can do what you want. You can sing if you want or cry if you feel like it. I cried every day between the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Horn. However long the race lasts, you have to deal with everything with what you have with you. You don’t have the choice. You have to find the solution. The starter, the alternator belt… You make do with what you have on board. If not, you have to turn back. Consequently, you find an inner strength to do things. I’m not a good mechanic. I’m not good at much. But I managed to repair things when I had to. I don’t know how I managed to do it. I’m not someone who likes being alone. I never really wanted to do any solo sailing. But it was the difficulty of the Vendée Globe that was my motivation. This is a huge victory for me. The Vendée Globe is something you win or you finish and finishing is for me a victory. Armel finished fifty days before me. I didn’t sail that well, I suppose… (laughs) But I did do better than those that didn’t finish. The race itself is only a small part of the adventure. The Vendée Globe for us is not four months, but four years of everything that has to be done before. So today, I am extremely proud.”

Seeing the crowds

“It was four years and four months ago that I decide to do the Vendée Globe after watching the start. All I wanted to do was make it all the way around. The emotion in the channel was incredible. I thought there may be some people, but seeing all these people, it’s amazing. The Vendée Globe is much more than a race. It’s an adventure. Thousands of people come here to watch the final boat arrive. I felt the same emotion here as I did in the Southern Ocean. Even if there are cameras, you can’t stop the tears welling up. In the South, you just let yourself go. When you set off you share the experience with others. People here with banners for me, it’s just crazy.”

“24 hours from the finish I could see that it was complicated arriving and entering the harbour. But in the end everything slotted into place. Finishing at night adds something magical. It also allows a break between the finish and the entrance into the harbour. Two hours before finishing I got delayed by a net getting caught up. The boat had been making progress, but then she slowed down and I could hear a noise from the hull. It was pitch black outside, so I had to face the wind and go backwards and fortunately it came away. Crossing the finish is too quick. It’s suddenly over.”

9000 miles behind the winner

“For me, it’s a bit like a candidate in the elections getting 0.02% and saying ‘we’re on our way’. For me, being the first person to finish in 18th place is a bit like that. I was really pleased to see I was 9000 miles from the finish when Armel won the race. The equivalent of three transatlantic races. I laughed about it, but also realised I had a long way to go. Then, I said I had never averaged more than 15 knots on this boat, while a foiler keeps up averages of 25 knots. Armel wasn’t that good if you look at it like that (laughs).”

“For me there was the discovery that you have to face things. You just continue, as you don’t have the choice. If there was a race tomorrow, I’d set off again. In four years from now? That’s a long time. You feel fear, joy and that’s what pushes you. It is a privilege. It’s not a question of holding on. It’s quite simply that you don’t have the choice. For example, if you set off with one spanner and it breaks. You can’t go and buy another one. All you have is what you have on board. You find what you need – technical, mental, physical. I was going to tell my mother I would bring the boat into Fremantle, but when you’re in your bunk with cracked ribs. You crawl up on the deck. You’re on your knees. But then you get back up. When you have broken ribs, that hurts, but you don’t have the choice. You simply have to do that.”

“I’m the last one to finish. Well done to the winner. That was an incredible performance from Armel and from Alex. People come here to support the adventurer rather than the sportsman. I didn’t treat this Vendée Globe as a race but as an adventure to share with others. I wouldn’t have bought this boat if I was aiming to win the Vendée Globe. My goal was to finish the Vendée Globe. Some think it is a race. It is, but it is also something that we share with the public. Eight skippers have finished first. Eight second and so on up to eight finishing sixth, but I’m the first skipper to finish eighteenth!”

“I made a key to close the door behind me in the Pacific and now I have another one to close the harbour entrance, as I’m the last one here in Les Sables d’Olonne. When you’re out there alone, you know that there are four men there watching you around the clock (the Race Directors – editor). When something happened in the Pacific, ten minutes later the phone was ringing. They kept ringing me. I had an e-mail saying “we’re not worried but… Can you confirm that everything is fine?” They deserve to be applauded, because when you think you’re completely alone in the Pacific, they’re there.”

The curtain falls on the 2016-2017 race

The President of the SAEM Vendée, Yves Auvinet was also present on the podium this afternoon to thank all the skippers, teams and partners and declared, “The Vendée Globe will be back in 2020 and I hope with the same spirit as this time. This was a fantastic edition in terms of the race and in terms of the number of people here for the finish. The prize-giving ceremony will take place on 13th May in Les Sables d’Olonne.”

The door is locked on this edition of the Vendee

Last edited:
Alex still game on.
ALEX THOMSON: “I STILL HOPE TO BE THE FIRST BRIT TO WIN THE VENDEE GLOBE.”
THURSDAY 11 MAY 2017, 09H43

His crazy duel with Armel Le Cléac’h was one of the highlights of the eighth Vendée Globe and will remain one for the history books. Alex Thomson finally took second place, four years after making it to the podium for the first time (third in 2012-2013). He only has one place left to go and that is to the top spot, which is still his solo racing dream. Alex has been very clear about it. He will do his utmost to be there again in 2020. We met up with him to find out more.

© VINCENT CURUTCHET / DPPI / VENDÉE GLOBE
Alex, two and a half months after your second place in the Vendée Globe, how do you feel physically and mentally? Have you completely recovered from this crazy race?

I feel physically and mentally fine after finishing second in the Vendée Globe. I’ve just returned from a holiday with the family in the Caribbean. Prior to this I was very busy after finishing the race on the 20thJanuary. I had a lot of interviews to complete with media and met with my sponsors. But I am now back in the office and preparing for our next campaign.

Looking back, how do you feel about the race and in particular your duel with Armel Le Cléac’h?

I was incredibly disappointed when the foil broke on just day 13 of the race. I knew that I had to stay positive and focus on the finish. The duel with Armel was intense and right up until the last moment there was always the possibility I could catch him.

Apart from this fight with Armel, what do you remember in particular from this eighth edition of the Vendée Globe? How would you judge the race in general?

It was fantastic when the French Navy helicopter contacted and filmed me whilst in the Southern Ocean. It was good to have some form of human contact in one of the remotest places on the planet.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...bearrivee-de-alex-thomson-gbr-r-1600-1200.jpgThis was a very international Vendée Globe with ten nationalities represented. Are you pleased about that number and how do you think it could become even more international?

This is incredibly important the Vendée Globe has to be promoted internationally. As a team we are sponsored by HUGO BOSS and Mercedes-Benz. These are both large international companies and its vital that coverage for the Vendée Globe is achieved globally.

Did your adventure and your place as runner-up get much coverage in the media and attract the interest of the public in Britain?

Yes, my progress in the Vendée Globe was followed by the British media. The coverage increased as I approached the finish and closed the gap on Armel Le Cléac’h.

What is your programme for the coming months?

We are working hard on putting our next campaign together. Over the coming months we will be working hard on securing sponsorship for our next campaign. With the hope of putting together a winning team and look to the future and aim to win the Vendee Globe in 2020. I hope to be the first Brit to win the Vendee Globe.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...e-globe-aux-sables-d-olonne-l-r-1600-1200.jpgAre you in a hurry to get back out there racing?

Yes, I am fully rested after finishing the Vendée Globe. I am looking forward to competing again soon and will be taking part in the Fastnet in August.

Do you plan to build a new boat for the 2020 Vendée Globe?

I am convinced my boat could win the next Vendee Globe but we will be looking very closely at all options. We learnt a lot from the last Vendée Globe and now we have finished the race we know the things we would change on board HUGO BOSS. There are several modifications I would like to make on the existing design. Which I am sure will keep her competitive for the next four years.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...nne-france-on-january-20th-20-r-1600-1200.jpgWill you be racing in the Transat Jacques Vabre?

I have not decided yet whether to enter the Transat Jacque Vabre. I haven’t decided who will be co-skippering this race if we take part.

Interview with Olivier Bourbon /M&M

Alex still game on.
ALEX THOMSON: “I STILL HOPE TO BE THE FIRST BRIT TO WIN THE VENDEE GLOBE.”
THURSDAY 11 MAY 2017, 09H43

His crazy duel with Armel Le Cléac’h was one of the highlights of the eighth Vendée Globe and will remain one for the history books. Alex Thomson finally took second place, four years after making it to the podium for the first time (third in 2012-2013). He only has one place left to go and that is to the top spot, which is still his solo racing dream. Alex has been very clear about it. He will do his utmost to be there again in 2020. We met up with him to find out more.

© VINCENT CURUTCHET / DPPI / VENDÉE GLOBE
Alex, two and a half months after your second place in the Vendée Globe, how do you feel physically and mentally? Have you completely recovered from this crazy race?

I feel physically and mentally fine after finishing second in the Vendée Globe. I’ve just returned from a holiday with the family in the Caribbean. Prior to this I was very busy after finishing the race on the 20thJanuary. I had a lot of interviews to complete with media and met with my sponsors. But I am now back in the office and preparing for our next campaign.

Looking back, how do you feel about the race and in particular your duel with Armel Le Cléac’h?

I was incredibly disappointed when the foil broke on just day 13 of the race. I knew that I had to stay positive and focus on the finish. The duel with Armel was intense and right up until the last moment there was always the possibility I could catch him.

Apart from this fight with Armel, what do you remember in particular from this eighth edition of the Vendée Globe? How would you judge the race in general?

It was fantastic when the French Navy helicopter contacted and filmed me whilst in the Southern Ocean. It was good to have some form of human contact in one of the remotest places on the planet.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...bearrivee-de-alex-thomson-gbr-r-1600-1200.jpgThis was a very international Vendée Globe with ten nationalities represented. Are you pleased about that number and how do you think it could become even more international?

This is incredibly important the Vendée Globe has to be promoted internationally. As a team we are sponsored by HUGO BOSS and Mercedes-Benz. These are both large international companies and its vital that coverage for the Vendée Globe is achieved globally.

Did your adventure and your place as runner-up get much coverage in the media and attract the interest of the public in Britain?

Yes, my progress in the Vendée Globe was followed by the British media. The coverage increased as I approached the finish and closed the gap on Armel Le Cléac’h.

What is your programme for the coming months?

We are working hard on putting our next campaign together. Over the coming months we will be working hard on securing sponsorship for our next campaign. With the hope of putting together a winning team and look to the future and aim to win the Vendee Globe in 2020. I hope to be the first Brit to win the Vendee Globe.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...e-globe-aux-sables-d-olonne-l-r-1600-1200.jpgAre you in a hurry to get back out there racing?

Yes, I am fully rested after finishing the Vendée Globe. I am looking forward to competing again soon and will be taking part in the Fastnet in August.

Do you plan to build a new boat for the 2020 Vendée Globe?

I am convinced my boat could win the next Vendee Globe but we will be looking very closely at all options. We learnt a lot from the last Vendée Globe and now we have finished the race we know the things we would change on board HUGO BOSS. There are several modifications I would like to make on the existing design. Which I am sure will keep her competitive for the next four years.

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...nne-france-on-january-20th-20-r-1600-1200.jpgWill you be racing in the Transat Jacques Vabre?

I have not decided yet whether to enter the Transat Jacque Vabre. I haven’t decided who will be co-skippering this race if we take part.

Interview with Olivier Bourbon /M&M
Haway Alex and the yacht

Last post of the event.......honest. Back in November 2020. Might follow Alex in the other events between though.

Thanks to all who joined in whether you posted or not.

THE CURTAIN COMES DOWN ON THE EIGHTH VENDÉE GLOBE
SUNDAY 14 MAY 2017, 10H19
The closing ceremony for the 8th Vendée Globe took place on Saturday 13thMay in Les Sables d'Olonne, in the presence of the 29 skippers that took part. A highly emotional event, this exceptional evening brought this magnificent edition to an end. You can already note down the date for the 9th Vendée Globe, which will begin at 1202 hrs UTC on 8th November 2020.

The eighth Vendée Globe is now officially over. The heroes celebrated together for one last time in les Sables d’Olonne, the start and finish location for the non-stop solo round the world race. Organised by the Vendée Council, the closing ceremony allowed everyone to look back at the great adventure of this solo round the world voyage. Emotions were running high for the 29 Vendée Globe skippers, who were present.

“We’re pleased to be back in Les Sables d’Olonne”
The first people to go up on the stage were the eleven skippers forced to retire: Paul Meilhat, Morgan Lagravière, Sébastien Josse, Kojiro Shiraishi, Bertrand de Broc, Stéphane Le Diraison, Vincent Riou, Thomas Ruyant, Enda O’Coineen, Thomas Ruyant and Tanguy de Lamotte. Their respective performances remind us how hard it is to take part in the Vendée Globe, which requires a huge investment and personal sacrifice.

The sailors ranked from 11th to 18th were the next to be invited onto the stage. They were Fabrice Amedeo, Alan Roura, Rich Wilson, Didac Costa, Romain Attanasio, Conrad Colman, Pieter Heerema and Sébastien Destremau. “I’m very honoured to be here and we are all delighted to be back in Les Sables d’Olonne. It’s been a while since we last saw each other. This evening the tears welled up,” declared the Swiss sailor Alan Roura, summing up perfectly the general feeling.

After that, the skippers ranked from 4th to 10th were presented – Jean-Pierre Dick, Yann Eliès, Jean Le Cam, Louis Burton, Nandor Fa, Eric Bellion and Arnaud Boissières. “This ceremony has allowed us to return to those unforgettable moments we experienced last winter. This evening, I am proud to be alongside sailors, who were idols, when I was smal,” declared Louis Burton. “We get a wave of emotions like those we felt during the race and the preparation,” added Yann Eliès. “That gives us the desire to look ahead to the ninth edition.” Eric Bellion, 9th and first rookie in the last Vendée Globe, was awarded a special trophy by Bruno Retailleau, President of the Pays de la Loire Region. “I discovered myself during this Vendée Globe. It’s fabulous to find what you didn’t think you had. You feel bigger and stronger and that’s incredible,” said Bellion.

Podium places

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...ud-letresor-dppi-vendee-globe-r-1600-1200.jpgIt was then time for Jérémie Beyou, 3rd in the Vendée Globe to say something. “It’s hard to find the words to express what we experienced. You go through all the emotions. But the human mind is great: we only remember the good times. I’ll be back in four years with a new boat, so I’m very lucky.” Next up was Alex Thomson, runner-up after his epic duel with Armel Le Cléac’h. “Are you ready to see a Brit win the race in 2020?” he asked the audience. The final person invited onto the stage was Armel Le Cléac’h. He received the Vendée Globe Trophy from Yves Auvinet, President of the Vendée Globe. He too was very moved, as he looked back at his adventure. “The match with Alex was incredibly tough. After coming second twice, I managed to win this time. I’ll never forget that. You are never the same when you return from a Vendée Globe.”

After the traditional family photo, the skippers joined together with the public for one final time during a big parade on the seafront with a huge and enthusiastic crowd attending.

See you on 8th November 2020 for the start of the ninth Vendée Globe

Yves Auvinet concluded by presenting a very positive report on the 2016-2017 Vendée Globe. “I’d like to stress how lucky our department is to have such an event, which everyone is jealous of and rightly so.. I’m pleased that the 29 skippers all made it home safely. Thank you for the pleasure you gave to the public. You give us a great example of humanity. That gives us the motivation to do even better in 2020. I can already tell you that the start of the 9th Vendée Globe will be on 8th November 2020 at 1202hrs UTC.

Last post of the event.......honest. Back in November 2020. Might follow Alex in the other events between though.

Thanks to all who joined in whether you posted or not.

THE CURTAIN COMES DOWN ON THE EIGHTH VENDÉE GLOBE
SUNDAY 14 MAY 2017, 10H19
The closing ceremony for the 8th Vendée Globe took place on Saturday 13thMay in Les Sables d'Olonne, in the presence of the 29 skippers that took part. A highly emotional event, this exceptional evening brought this magnificent edition to an end. You can already note down the date for the 9th Vendée Globe, which will begin at 1202 hrs UTC on 8th November 2020.

The eighth Vendée Globe is now officially over. The heroes celebrated together for one last time in les Sables d’Olonne, the start and finish location for the non-stop solo round the world race. Organised by the Vendée Council, the closing ceremony allowed everyone to look back at the great adventure of this solo round the world voyage. Emotions were running high for the 29 Vendée Globe skippers, who were present.

“We’re pleased to be back in Les Sables d’Olonne”
The first people to go up on the stage were the eleven skippers forced to retire: Paul Meilhat, Morgan Lagravière, Sébastien Josse, Kojiro Shiraishi, Bertrand de Broc, Stéphane Le Diraison, Vincent Riou, Thomas Ruyant, Enda O’Coineen, Thomas Ruyant and Tanguy de Lamotte. Their respective performances remind us how hard it is to take part in the Vendée Globe, which requires a huge investment and personal sacrifice.

The sailors ranked from 11th to 18th were the next to be invited onto the stage. They were Fabrice Amedeo, Alan Roura, Rich Wilson, Didac Costa, Romain Attanasio, Conrad Colman, Pieter Heerema and Sébastien Destremau. “I’m very honoured to be here and we are all delighted to be back in Les Sables d’Olonne. It’s been a while since we last saw each other. This evening the tears welled up,” declared the Swiss sailor Alan Roura, summing up perfectly the general feeling.

After that, the skippers ranked from 4th to 10th were presented – Jean-Pierre Dick, Yann Eliès, Jean Le Cam, Louis Burton, Nandor Fa, Eric Bellion and Arnaud Boissières. “This ceremony has allowed us to return to those unforgettable moments we experienced last winter. This evening, I am proud to be alongside sailors, who were idols, when I was smal,” declared Louis Burton. “We get a wave of emotions like those we felt during the race and the preparation,” added Yann Eliès. “That gives us the desire to look ahead to the ninth edition.” Eric Bellion, 9th and first rookie in the last Vendée Globe, was awarded a special trophy by Bruno Retailleau, President of the Pays de la Loire Region. “I discovered myself during this Vendée Globe. It’s fabulous to find what you didn’t think you had. You feel bigger and stronger and that’s incredible,” said Bellion.

Podium places

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/medias/0...ud-letresor-dppi-vendee-globe-r-1600-1200.jpgIt was then time for Jérémie Beyou, 3rd in the Vendée Globe to say something. “It’s hard to find the words to express what we experienced. You go through all the emotions. But the human mind is great: we only remember the good times. I’ll be back in four years with a new boat, so I’m very lucky.” Next up was Alex Thomson, runner-up after his epic duel with Armel Le Cléac’h. “Are you ready to see a Brit win the race in 2020?” he asked the audience. The final person invited onto the stage was Armel Le Cléac’h. He received the Vendée Globe Trophy from Yves Auvinet, President of the Vendée Globe. He too was very moved, as he looked back at his adventure. “The match with Alex was incredibly tough. After coming second twice, I managed to win this time. I’ll never forget that. You are never the same when you return from a Vendée Globe.”

After the traditional family photo, the skippers joined together with the public for one final time during a big parade on the seafront with a huge and enthusiastic crowd attending.

See you on 8th November 2020 for the start of the ninth Vendée Globe

Yves Auvinet concluded by presenting a very positive report on the 2016-2017 Vendée Globe. “I’d like to stress how lucky our department is to have such an event, which everyone is jealous of and rightly so.. I’m pleased that the 29 skippers all made it home safely. Thank you for the pleasure you gave to the public. You give us a great example of humanity. That gives us the motivation to do even better in 2020. I can already tell you that the start of the 9th Vendée Globe will be on 8th November 2020 at 1202hrs UTC.
Alex la, are you ready to see a Brit win!:lol: Blokes class isn't he! Roll on 2020

Back