Vaux site......

It’s well known mate. And he’s wrong they are rubbish they have failed terribly. Enterprise zones 'failed to deliver jobs boost'

I think that article is referring the the enterprise zones created in 2011 is it not whereas doxford international was created in 1992? What I would say is that Doxford Park has been relatively full Since it was created back in the 90’s.

Enterprise zones an enduring influence

I personally think that the enterprise zones that have been created (quorum, doxford, cobalt) have had a negative effect on our cities and would have really wanted to see businesses located in city centres, however I suspect at that time there were no suitable city (town) centre sites available. Also who knows without them would some of these businesses resides in the city centres?

Interestingly that article you referenced is commented upon by Paul Swinney, centre for cities, who I believe is from Sunderland himself.
https://www.centreforcities.org/wp-...8-Sunderland-The-challenges-of-the-future.pdf
Ok, Could you elaborate on what those contributory factors are?

I’m not exactly sure what the incentives were back in 1992 but the basis currently is that business get business rates tax relief for up to 5 years or tax relief on investment in plant and equipment etc

About Enterprise Zones

I understand from speaking to people in the sector that current enterprise zones are much weaker than the earlier ones such as doxford park.

It would appear from the following article that the developers were given tax allowances to offer Rent free periods to tenants.

Empty

Last edited:

I think that article is referring the the enterprise zones created in 2011 is it not whereas doxford international was created in 1992? What I would say is that Doxford Park has been relatively full Since it was created back in the 90’s.
Good reading.Thanks.
I’m sure roger hoped this was gonna be the quality of discourse when he started this whole thing up.
Enterprise zones an enduring influence

I personally think that the enterprise zones that have been created (quorum, doxford, cobalt) have had a negative effect on our cities and would have really wanted to see businesses located in city centres, however I suspect at that time there were no suitable city (town) centre sites available. Also who knows without them would some of these businesses resides in the city centres?

Interestingly that article you referenced is commented upon by Paul Swinney, centre for cities, who I believe is from Sunderland himself.
https://www.centreforcities.org/wp-...8-Sunderland-The-challenges-of-the-future.pdf

I’m not exactly sure what the incentives were back in 1992 but the basis currently is that business get business rates tax relief for up to 5 years or tax relief on investment in plant and equipment etc

About Enterprise Zones

I understand from speaking to people in the sector that current enterprise zones are much weaker than the earlier ones such as doxford park.

It would appear from the following article that the developers were given tax allowances to offer Rent free periods to tenants.

Empty

You may be right, but don’t think the lumen is a resi block. Might be the Forge?

I was guessing hadrians tower which is being built by Tolent, and developed by Hospitality Group however thats 26 storeys

Hadrian's Tower, City Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne - now available to view! - Sanderson Young
It probably is that one he meant just he said office block not residential. I'mm moving in to the lumen in I think Feb/March. It's a building deemed good enough for Newcastle and despite it looking exactly like the planned Sunderland city hall it's not good enough for us. The people want a shard or a gherkin - but also don't want the council to spend any money.

these sound canny

They look class but no doubt the whingers on the Sunderland Echo Facebook page will be up in arms about them. The following will be mentioned in their gripes in no particular order;

The bins
Council back handers
Leisure centre
Jeremy Corbyn
The new bridge
South Shields seafront

It probably is that one he meant just he said office block not residential. I'mm moving in to the lumen in I think Feb/March. It's a building deemed good enough for Newcastle and despite it looking exactly like the planned Sunderland city hall it's not good enough for us. The people want a shard or a gherkin - but also don't want the council to spend any money.

You are right about the office accommodation. Not sure what I was thinking there ...

The Lumen looks a canny building and you are right it’s very much in the same design as the civic centre and much of office accommodation in other parts of the county.

People I just don’t think consider that the rental level that can be achieved here and against other parts of the country has a massive bearing on the scheme design and viability and expect Stirling prize winning building.

They look class but no doubt the whingers on the Sunderland Echo Facebook page will be up in arms about them. The following will be mentioned in their gripes in no particular order;

The bins
Council back handers
Leisure centre
Jeremy Corbyn
The new bridge
South Shields seafront

Ive got an echo bingo board that I post on Sunderland echo Facebook page when it's obvious those things are going to be mentioned

The Lumen up by Sid James'?
Could be bob. Tbh I’ve only seen it from the bridge but when I googled it, it led to a story about a 14 storey office block starting soon.
You are right about the office accommodation. Not sure what I was thinking there ...

The Lumen looks a canny building and you are right it’s very much in the same design as the civic centre and much of office accommodation in other parts of the county.

People I just don’t think consider that the rental level that can be achieved here and against other parts of the country has a massive bearing on the scheme design and viability and expect Stirling prize winning building.
Agree 100%. I don’t think people even realise how long it’s gonna take to recoup the money already invested in the beam. On a previous point about doxy park. I think most of the buildings built were bought at the time by the companies occupying them, so the developers could only sell them on cheap rather than rent with it being discounted by the government. But I think now we are competing with other enterprise zones like the iamp at Nissan. It’s gonna be a slog. I’m sure keel sq was ez too when hays bought the old tax office. Not certain though.

Last edited:
Could be bob. Tbh I’ve only seen it from the bridge but when I googled it, it led to a story about a 14 storey office block starting soon.

Agree 100%. I don’t think people even realise how long it’s gonna take to recoup the money already invested in the beam. On a previous point about doxy park. I think most of the buildings built were bought at the time by the companies occupying them, so the developers could only sell them on cheap rather than rent with it being discounted by the government. But I think now we are competing with other enterprise zones like the iamp at Nissan. It’s gonna be a slog. I’m sure keel sq was ez too when hays bought the old tax office. Not certain though.

You may be right, I was under the impression that a lot of the buildings / tenants are on leases rather than owning the freehold of the building. Regarding IAMP i think it is a different offer, mainly manufacturing facilities (grantee with a % of office space), rather than purely office accommodation - so should hopefully not compete so much.

I believe the only enterprise zone in Sunderland is the A19 corridor at the moment. Others being Blyth and North Bank of the Tyne. All of which are predominantly manufacture / port lead.

Could be the old Bank of England site? But that’s On the stack site and hasn’t started yet.

Huge city centre tower block wins council's backing

Also one in strawberry place has recently been announced. Which is 21 storeys and again not on site yet.

Controversial buildings near NUFC approved

Last edited:

Back