Vaux CC

Just seen this and must have missed it at the time . My Dad was playing in the first team along with mostly non employees. Cherry Hansen complained to the company and they introduced a rule that employees had to have the chance to play for the first team . This meant some good players not getting a game . There was an exodus of the better players almost overnight

I had left the area by then. TRhey did have some very good players - Frankie Pinder, Joe Gill, Don Moore, Peter Liddle, Trevor Uren - who were not Vaux people.

I had left the area by then. TRhey did have some very good players - Frankie Pinder, Joe Gill, Don Moore, Peter Liddle, Trevor Uren - who were not Vaux people.
A lot of them (apart from Frankie Pinder, I believe) ended up playing for Eppleton CW in the late '80s - my Dad played in the same team after being tempted out of retirement following a phone call from Don Moore.

Frankie ended up playing for Wetherby in the Wetherby League. He could still have played a lot higher than that. I did and I was rubbish compared to him.

Played in the late 80s at Vaux. Recall Cherry, Dave and Steve Hanson playing. Steve was Fred’s son and Steve came out to bat with a canoeing helmet on...brilliant. He should have got a patent on the product, pre-Boycott’s helmet. Also I remember playing against a lovely fella called Billy Conway in a mid week cup match. The wicket at Vaux was just about ‘east to west‘ and Billy tied us in knots with deliveries into the late evening sun. Thank you for starting the thread.

Played in the late 80s at Vaux. Recall Cherry, Dave and Steve Hanson playing. Steve was Fred’s son and Steve came out to bat with a canoeing helmet on...brilliant. He should have got a patent on the product, pre-Boycott’s helmet. Also I remember playing against a lovely fella called Billy Conway in a mid week cup match. The wicket at Vaux was just about ‘east to west‘ and Billy tied us in knots with deliveries into the late evening sun. Thank you for starting the thread.
I can remember playing against Billy Conway in the mid-'80s - he bowled so slowly you'd played three or four shots before the ball reached you. Still couldn't buy a run against him - give me a quick or medium-pacer any day.

I once played against Silksworth at their place when Steve Hansen was playing for them. He was batting, and doing ok against our West Indian quick when his wife ran into the ground and straight onto the pitch, stopping the game. She had been down the town and someone had twocced their brand new XR2. He threw his bat on the ground, muttered 'f***ing hell', and walked off the pitch, leaving us, and her, standing in the middle of the pitch. :lol:

yes - Newalls were originally Washington Chemical Works and also Pyrex from South Hylton were in the League at that time.
Not sure that Pyrex were ever in the Coast League - if my Dad was still alive I'd ask him as he played Coast League cricket for South Hylton in the '60s, '70s and '80s.

He always mentioned the rivalry between South Hylton and Hylton Colliery but never really mentioned Pyrex which I'm sure he would have as he lived all of his life in South Hylton - most of his younger years not 100 yards away from Pyrex club and it's sports fields.

All of his old Coast League handbooks are along my Mam's house so I can't check to be certain.

Happy to be proved wrong, mind. Not trying to start an argument or anything like that.

I scored for Dawdon 2nds at the Pyrex ground. Former Sunderland AFC goalkeeper from the early 60s. Keith Hird, played for them. He died young. I would have played for Dawdon against your Dad as well in the late 60s and 70s.

Last edited:
I scored for Dawdon 2nds at the Pyrex ground. Former Sunderland AFC goalkeeper from the early 60s. Keith Hird, played for them. He died young. I would have played for Dawdon against your Dad as well in the late 60s and 70s.
I can honestly only remember cricket being played at Pyrex as midweek games - never on a weekend. Maybe before my time. Great facilities though. When South Hylton struggled financially in the '80s they asked if they could use the Pyrex ground but were turned down - probably because the closedown of the social club and sell-off of the sports grounds to property developers was on the cards even then.

South Hylton won one of their only 20-over cups at Dawdon in the '70s, beating favourites South Hetton in the Andrew Dixon cup. They were a good league side but strangely poor at the 20-over side of things. The result was a bit of an upset - apparently South Hetton had a room booked afterwards to celebrate winning but reckoned without south Hylton's number 11 scoring about 20-odd off the last two overs to win the final.

If you played in the '70s you'll know Tommy Fenwick? (I think that was his name.) Dad always reckoned he was one of the better batsmen he bowled at during that time - and that was a time when South Hylton were pretty dominant in the league, winning it four years in a row.

Last edited:
Coles Cranes, Cornings, Austin & Pickersgills, AEI Cables, Reyrolles, Filtrona, Vaux, Newalls, Ingersoll Rand -hard to believe some of the teams that used to be. Remember playing some works team on a pitch the other side of the road to Gateshead stadium but can’t remember what they were called?

Coles Cranes, Cornings, Austin & Pickersgills, AEI Cables, Reyrolles, Filtrona, Vaux, Newalls, Ingersoll Rand -hard to believe some of the teams that used to be. Remember playing some works team on a pitch the other side of the road to Gateshead stadium but can’t remember what they were called?
Clarke Chapman played at the ground opposite Gateshead stadium. Domtar were another works side I recall in NEDCL at one time, so to were Baker Perkins at Jarrow and Hawthorn Leslie along the road. I seem to remember Plesseys as having 2 separate clubs (S/land & Shields) sharing the ground at Usworth.

Last edited:
Forgot about that ground at Usworth. Think the Air Museum is there now but always thought it was a nice ground and then handy for 3 Horse Shoes. Did A&P play there as well?

Don‘t remember Domtar at all. What era was that.

Back