Vaux CC

Theres a newish estate just off Leechmere road - on the way down to Asda - my memory is a bit hazy but sure I went there when my dad played for Ryhope in the 80's.
Just found an old paper with a cricket excert and Vaux have players listed in the representative teams alongside some big coast league clubs.

Where did they play etc?
Can you hoy a pic of the article up on here? might be some names i recognise who played at the same time as my dad.

Last edited:
Yes, the Vaux Field as we called it, was between Leechmere Road and Greystoke Avenue. They played cricket there in the summer, and football in winter. It was a lovely little place, but it was built over with houses in about 1990.

Yes, the Vaux Field as we called it, was between Leechmere Road and Greystoke Avenue. They played cricket there in the summer, and football in winter. It was a lovely little place, but it was built over with houses in about 1990.
I always wondered what relation it had to Vaux - were they sponsored by Vaux?

I always wondered what relation it had to Vaux - were they sponsored by Vaux?
I always thought the land was owned by Vaux, but I might be wrong. The houses further down Greystoke Avenue were originally owned by shipyard owners, the Josephs family, etc. and the cricket ground looked like it dated from the same time. I'd love to know if that's right or wrong!

Some old footy programmes I have mention SC (Sporting Club) Vaux. They had a football team in the Wearside League, a cricket team in the Coast League and it looks like various other sports teams. Very much along the lines of Coles Cranes. Bygone days where works-based teams were prevalent.

I played against Vaux many times at Glenesk Road. There was never a bar there. They ran the Coast League and had players that never worked at Vaux in the first team. The club was run by Freddie (or Frank?) Hanson and his brother Cherry played for them. From what I understand Vaux employees complained that they could not play for the cricket team or something along those lines. The cricket team imploded and packed up. Gerry Bacon (ex-Vaux) was the League Secretary. He told John Lowery when he went for the League Chairman's job that he would be better off as the Assistant Secretary of the League. Numpty. They had University lecturers and all sorts of people playing for them.

I played against Vaux many times at Glenesk Road. There was never a bar there. They ran the Coast League and had players that never worked at Vaux in the first team. The club was run by Freddie (or Frank?) Hanson and his brother Cherry played for them. From what I understand Vaux employees complained that they could not play for the cricket team or something along those lines. The cricket team imploded and packed up. Gerry Bacon (ex-Vaux) was the League Secretary. He told John Lowery when he went for the League Chairman's job that he would be better off as the Assistant Secretary of the League. Numpty. They had University lecturers and all sorts of people playing for them.

My old man worked at Vaux and could never get a game for them. He ended up playing at East Rainton along with a couple of other Vaux lads and they ended up with a decent side. They used to take their beer allowance through and share them out.

I played there for Marsden in the late sixties and had many an after match pint there. Cherry was groundsman I believe.

Played at Vaux CC sometime in the mid 1970’s. Was a canny ground from what I can recall. More importantly did it have a bar or not? From memory there was no draught beer, just cans of Vaux beer which you helped yourself to and were free of charge. No idea if that was the norm though.

Vic has the Jolly Sailor at Whitburn,if ever you're passing he loves too reminisce.
Don't live in the area anymore mate so rarely ever get that way. I remember Vic, Cherry is Harry isn't he? Davey too. Stevie perhaps - was a cousin I think.

Freddie and Cherry Hansen played against my Dad in the Coast League in the '70s and possibly the early '80s.

Freddie was a real character according to my Dad. Cherry's real name was Hereward, I believe.

Just seen this and must have missed it at the time . My Dad was playing in the first team along with mostly non employees. Cherry Hansen complained to the company and they introduced a rule that employees had to have the chance to play for the first team . This meant some good players not getting a game . There was an exodus of the better players almost overnight

Back