Vaux CC

Forgot about that ground at Usworth. Think the Air Museum is there now but always thought it was a nice ground and then handy for 3 Horse Shoes. Did A&P play there as well?

Don‘t remember Domtar at all. What era was that.
Domtar shared Chilton Moor's ground mid to late 70's. A&P had their own welfare which became the Charlie Hurley training ground at Whitburn. Boldon CA bought quite a bit of equipment following A&P closing cutters etc and two full size sight screens which I kid you not, were "hand-balled" down Cleadon and over the Tilesheds level crossing by a dozen or more lads early doors one Sunday morn.

Last edited:

Not sure that Pyrex were ever in the Coast League - if my Dad was still alive I'd ask him as he played Coast League cricket for South Hylton in the '60s, '70s and '80s.

He always mentioned the rivalry between South Hylton and Hylton Colliery but never really mentioned Pyrex which I'm sure he would have as he lived all of his life in South Hylton - most of his younger years not 100 yards away from Pyrex club and it's sports fields.

All of his old Coast League handbooks are along my Mam's house so I can't check to be certain.

Happy to be proved wrong, mind. Not trying to start an argument or anything like that.

Don't ever remember Pyrex in the NEDL. Coles and Filtrona definitely were.
Domtar shared Chilton Moor's ground mid to late 70's. A&P had their own welfare which became the Charlie Hurley training ground at Whitburn. Boldon CA bought quite a bit of equipment following A&P closing cutters etc and two full size sight screens which I kid you not, were "hand-balled" down Cleadon and over the Tilesheds level crossing by a dozen or more lads early doors one Sunday morn.

Doxfords sports was ground next to Fulwell quarry (Doxfields). Their social club was on North Bridge Street (now one of the doss houses near Barclay Street).

Last edited:
I played for Leslies in the late 70s after they dropped out of the Tyneside Senior because they could only field one side ......ahead of their time ;)

Other works teams were Bedewell (of Hebburn), Mackays (Belmont) A&P pr APB (played at Whitburn on the Charlie Hurley Centre.

Coles had two team Coles Cranes CC and Coles Cranes SC

Lanchester played on the hill top overlooking the village, in a factory sports ground, while their ground in the village took shape

Don't ever remember Pyrex in the NEDL. Coles and Filtrona definitely were.
I honestly don't remember much cricket being played at Pyrex when I was growing up. What little I can recall seems to be mid-week games rather than weekends. I always had them down as playing at the same level as the likes of Ivy Leaf who played on the rubber mats at the Hylton Road sports fields.

I honestly don't remember much cricket being played at Pyrex when I was growing up. What little I can recall seems to be mid-week games rather than weekends. I always had them down as playing at the same level as the likes of Ivy Leaf who played on the rubber mats at the Hylton Road sports fields.

The only time I ever went to Pyrex was for a boxing night in 1988 (watching, not participating). Definitely had a footy team though.

It was a lovely ground.
Two good football pitches with the cricket square between them.
As a kid used to sneak into the annual Vaux Sports day a couple of huge marquees with rows of food inside one of them and we used to help ourselves.
A pity they cashed in.

If you played in the '70s you'll know Tommy Fenwick? (I think that was his name.) Dad always reckoned he was one of the better batsmen he bowled at during that time - and that was a time when South Hylton were pretty dominant in the league, winning it four years in a row.

I knew Tommy, played with him, opened the batting with him a few times and was his vice-captain. Sadly died many years ago - far too young. One of the best batsman I saw and should have played higher. He captained the League side for many years. I left in 78 to move to Yorkshire. The Dawdon side he captained was full of young lads in the early 70s. We struggled for a couple of seasons and then started playing decent cricket. I haven't worked out your Dad yet. Markham? Andrews? Button. Moulding?

I knew Tommy, played with him, opened the batting with him a few times and was his vice-captain. Sadly died many years ago - far too young. One of the best batsman I saw and should have played higher. He captained the League side for many years. I left in 78 to move to Yorkshire. The Dawdon side he captained was full of young lads in the early 70s. We struggled for a couple of seasons and then started playing decent cricket. I haven't worked out your Dad yet. Markham? Andrews? Button. Moulding?
Just PM'd you.

You've listed the nucleus of the South Hylton side of the early '70s - a great four man bowling attack that could destroy any batting line up, plus a decent array of batsmen who could set what in those days was a competitive target (160 plus) or knock off anything the opposition managed to compile.

I played football for Vaux in the late 70's when the team was ran by Cherry Hanson. His son Davie was our keeper and some of the lads ended up playing pro. Great memories. Btw, Jack Thistleton was the groundsman who lived in Glenesk Cottage, great guy who took a lot of pride in his job.

I played football for Vaux in the late 70's when the team was ran by Cherry Hanson. His son Davie was our keeper and some of the lads ended up playing pro. Great memories. Btw, Jack Thistleton was the groundsman who lived in Glenesk Cottage, great guy who took a lot of pride in his job.
Davie Hanson still playing for one of the Seaham teams iirc

Back