Upper leg pain/dead leg

• Thread starter Deleted member 55680
  • Start date
Push for scans as much as you can. What you’re describing isn’t normal and certainly not something common. It may not be something ‘serious’ as such, but still isn’t normal.
I fell over at work couple of weeks ago I'm hoping It's just related to that really, thanks for your advice though I will ask about scans

I had incredible pain in my thigh about 6 years ago. Ended up in hospital and the assumption was that it was sciatica resulting from a spinal fusion op 12 years earlier. However after an MRI scan the old op was fine and it was definitely not sciatica.
Looks like it is a trapped nerve and a nerve blocker injection did help a bit. I’m not in much pain now but 6 years later I still have pins and needles in the thigh
Get a proper scan. It may not get you a definitive answer but it might

I had incredible pain in my thigh about 6 years ago. Ended up in hospital and the assumption was that it was sciatica resulting from a spinal fusion op 12 years earlier. However after an MRI scan the old op was fine and it was definitely not sciatica.
Looks like it is a trapped nerve and a nerve blocker injection did help a bit. I’m not in much pain now but 6 years later I still have pins and needles in the thigh
Get a proper scan. It may not get you a definitive answer but it might
sciatica is something that causes irritation to the sciatic nerve resulting in pain,numbness ,pins and needles or a combination of all....you havent specified which nerve was trapped but the sciatic nerve is the most common one effected as your back crumbles with age.
Has anyone else suffered from the same and Is there any relief from It. Been suffering from It for a few weeks now, I know to much info but struggle to sit on toilet seat without there being pain and getting out of bed in morning is a struggle, it's not really painful but it's a dull ache and just feels like my upper leg Is dead.
Hi mate if you had a fall and the pain followed later you have probably irritated a nerve via the inflammation process around the nerve and sometimes that can take time to settle down!However you need to start with the more serious things and rule them out one by one ...how bad was the fall ?could you have a hairline fracture of your thigh bone ,have you torn one of your quads (is the pain fall the way round your thigh?)the fact you had a warm bath and that improved the symptoms points to a soft tissue injury.....if you go to your gp they might just fob you off with sciatica but if you go to a&e and big up the fall you will at least get an x ray and that will rule out a break and some of the other nastier things..Anything that hangs around fore more that a couple of months needs looking at by a professional if only to rule out things that can kill you if not caught in time.

Last edited:
sciatica is something that causes irritation to the sciatic nerve resulting in pain,numbness ,pins and needles or a combination of all....you havent specified which nerve was trapped but the sciatic nerve is the most common one effected as your back crumbles with age.

Hi mate if you had a fall and the pain followed later you have probably irritated a nerve via the inflammation process around the nerve and sometimes that can take time to settle down!However you need to start with the more serious things and rule them out one by one ...how bad was the fall ?could you have a hairline fracture of your thigh bone ,have you torn one of your quads (is the pain fall the way round your thigh?)the fact you had a warm bath and that improved the symptoms points to a soft tissue injury.....if you go to your gp they might just fob you off with sciatica but if you go to a&e and big up the fall you will at least get an x ray and that will rule out a break and some of the other nastier things..Anything that hangs around fore more that a couple of months needs looking at by a professional if only to rule out things that can kill you if not caught in time.
Just seen my GP he reckons it's a muscular problem and told me if the pains still there In 4 weeks to ring them, prescribed me naproxen to help with the pain.

Just seen my GP he reckons it's a muscular problem and told me if the pains still there In 4 weeks to ring them, prescribed me naproxen to help with the pain.
Naproxen is good mate, take paracetamol in between doses makes the Naproxen better I was told recently.

Naproxen is good mate, take paracetamol in between doses makes the Naproxen better I was told recently.
Will do mate cheers, I guess I will just have to see if the pain gets any better In the next 4 weeks before having to ring doctors again, I will ask for scans then

I have similar in my left shoulder at the minute causing a dull ache down my arm into the back of my hand. Pins and needles in my fingers. It's nerve impingement in the shoulder so sounds like you may have similar but in hip/leg. Where you feel the pain isn't always where the problem is.
I had a cortisone injection at the weekend but doesn't seem to be doing anything yet. Was in quite a bit of pain overnight.

My brother got told his pain was muscle related also.

For a year.

Before finally getting sent for a scan.

I know it sounds like I am, I’m not trying to be a dick and scare you, but push for a scan as soon as possible.

My brother got told his pain was muscle related also.

For a year.

Before finally getting sent for a scan.

I know it sounds like I am, I’m not trying to be a dick and scare you, but push for a scan as soon as possible.
I certainly don't think your trying to scare me just think your trying to give me good advice, please tell me your brother Is ok now and cancer free?

Sorry mate I feel awful for asking now
Nothing to be sorry for mate. It was a little over a year ago.

It’s why I’m big on people not accepting any old shite from GP’s who for the most part are clueless, and if they’re experiencing something new/never had before that feels odd with no real explanations, then scans are needed.

Nothing to be sorry for mate. It was a little over a year ago.

It’s why I’m big on people not accepting any old shite from GP’s who for the most part are clueless, and if they’re experiencing something new/never had before that feels odd with no real explanations, then scans are needed.
I got referred by my GP for suspected femoral hernia, had pain in groin. Saw consultant at Freeman, within 3 minutes told me it was my hip, "not even a good guess" he said. Arranged for me to have ultrasound on MRI same week, not even his field but 100% right. General Practitioners they are, some better than others. Clueless most of the time they are, 6 or 7 at my place, insist on seeing same one every time now.

Back