Upcoming local Leagues season 2024 - New signings & gossip

My main side play NYSD and they have delayed the season. My old side that I sometimes play for when I can, play in the Langbaurgh League with games on glorified farmer’s fields. They bizarrely haven’t delayed and I got my availability text today. Would be crazy if I somehow managed to get a game this weekend in the Langbaurgh and not NYSD.

Local season starts on Saturday - I wonder how many games will get on? Hopefully some settled dry weather this week will help the outfields dry out.

The whole attitude to double weekends, not missing weeks etc is a weird one. I used to put this down to the family dynamic changing, wives demanding husbands aren't leaving them with young kids for 14 hours on a Saturday after working 40+ hours during the week.

Of late however I dont think that has been as big of a factor. Young lads who are more than capable of playing, seem happier to walk round the field with a beer, showing off their new tracky bottoms. They are 18/19 years old telling stories of how they once made 50 in an under 15 game to win it on the last ball. If you have a go at them and ask why they dont test themselves against adults they just tell you they prefer afternoons on the beer. Its quite sad, I am in my 40s now and love talking to my peers about great games/seasons over the years, these lads will be reminiscing about that day they had 8 or 9 pints at Crook away, watching someone else belt it all over.

But anyway, how do we get around this - I have no idea. Shorter games may work, but of course some will be dead against it.

Checked met office, BBC, AccuWeather and Netweather last night. They were all forecasting quite a lot of rain during the week and especially on Saturday for North East.

Looking much better now once today is out of the way, so fingers crossed that everyone can get their season underway.

Checked met office, BBC, AccuWeather and Netweather last night. They were all forecasting quite a lot of rain during the week and especially on Saturday for North East.

Looking much better now once today is out of the way, so fingers crossed that everyone can get their season underway.
If we can avoid heavy rain between now and Saturday I think there’s a good chance we’ll get things going 🙏

At least 6 games got played in the Northumberland and Tyneside league on Saturday.
I reckon if the fixtures went ahead as planned, that people would have been quite surprised with the number of games that went ahead.

Certainly wouldn't be games for the purists mind you.

We're away at ushaw moor - not holding out much hope tbh. Our outfield has been proper boggy of late but hoping with a few dry days it should be playable albeit very soft in places.

The whole attitude to double weekends, not missing weeks etc is a weird one. I used to put this down to the family dynamic changing, wives demanding husbands aren't leaving them with young kids for 14 hours on a Saturday after working 40+ hours during the week.

Of late however I dont think that has been as big of a factor. Young lads who are more than capable of playing, seem happier to walk round the field with a beer, showing off their new tracky bottoms. They are 18/19 years old telling stories of how they once made 50 in an under 15 game to win it on the last ball. If you have a go at them and ask why they dont test themselves against adults they just tell you they prefer afternoons on the beer. Its quite sad, I am in my 40s now and love talking to my peers about great games/seasons over the years, these lads will be reminiscing about that day they had 8 or 9 pints at Crook away, watching someone else belt it all over.

But anyway, how do we get around this - I have no idea. Shorter games may work, but of course some will be dead against it.
The attitudes of people in general now I find particularity weird.
I’ve retired now but towards end we had lads missing games as it was Father’s Day FFS!
Quite why anyone would want to walk around a ground watching when could be playing is also beyond me, I’ve been done now for 3 seasons and other than couple games my son played in under 11s I’ve never been in a ground since and I played for 30 year!
No substitute for playing IMO. Long time retired.

The attitudes of people in general now I find particularity weird.
I’ve retired now but towards end we had lads missing games as it was Father’s Day FFS!
Quite why anyone would want to walk around a ground watching when could be playing is also beyond me, I’ve been done now for 3 seasons and other than couple games my son played in under 11s I’ve never been in a ground since and I played for 30 year!
No substitute for playing IMO. Long time retired.
That one has always irritated me - player says they arent available then turn up at 2:30 and proceed to do laps whilst supping beers!!

Back