Upcoming local Leagues season 2024 - New signings & gossip

Kind of yes. YAV members were already heavily involved in the running of the club alongside Wearmouth "originals". All of those "originals" have left now so the YAV members who were on the committee have taken it over. I haven't heard much from the club unfortunately but last I heard they were still planning to run 2 teams on a Saturday and a midweek team as well as the juniors. I hope it goes well because there are a lot of good people still there that I played with. It is very sad though that so many of us moved on and a very tight group who, in my biased opinion, played cricket the right way have been split up.

Thanks for the info. I think most of us have got sorted now but I'll pass the message on.
Yeah perfect

I see NEPL clubs are being asked for grounds updates to determine whether to put the opening weekend back a week and play the rearranged fixtures on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Seems quite a likely scenario looking at the never ending pissy forecasts 🌧️

I see NEPL clubs are being asked for grounds updates to determine whether to put the opening weekend back a week and play the rearranged fixtures on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Seems quite a likely scenario looking at the never ending pissy forecasts 🌧️
Some clubs are over 4 weeks behind where they’d expect to be in their preparation.

Seems like this happens very regularly these days. Surely there is an argument to start the season first week in May. Not sue how feasible playing in October is for local clubs as that massively restricts their window to put squares to bed post-season. Some landscaping companies do this for many clubs so could struggle to fit everyone in. For me, at the top league levels anyway, we should be utilising the 3 bank holidays to shorten the season. Of course the first time this was done April would be tropical, but teams can train/play friendlies in this period.

Seems like this happens very regularly these days. Surely there is an argument to start the season first week in May. Not sue how feasible playing in October is for local clubs as that massively restricts their window to put squares to bed post-season. Some landscaping companies do this for many clubs so could struggle to fit everyone in. For me, at the top league levels anyway, we should be utilising the 3 bank holidays to shorten the season. Of course the first time this was done April would be tropical, but teams can train/play friendlies in this period.

At lower levels to get clubs to commit to playing Saturday/ Monday (particularly in May when there are a load of midweek cups) can be tough mind.

The season is fine as it is for me. Sometimes late April is dry. It was roasting in Covid when we were all locked indoors!

At lower levels to get clubs to commit to playing Saturday/ Monday (particularly in May when there are a load of midweek cups) can be tough mind.

The season is fine as it is for me. Sometimes late April is dry. It was roasting in Covid when we were all locked indoors!
true, and theres nearly always bank holiday used up for a stag do or a wedding

I had heard from a friend of a friend that South Northumberland have not even attempted to do anything on the ground. Forecast doesnt seem to make situation any better in the next few days

Seems like this happens very regularly these days.

It does, I came on here to say more or less the same thing, but ultimately it’s just the good old British summer isn’t it? I think mid-April is about right for a start time, you’ll always get people who say it starts to early and others who’ll say it ends too late - but I remember the year that the curtain raiser of Durham v Worcestershire lost two days to snow and also the year we hosted Kent and it was about 25 degrees.

I concede that I’ve never known a wetter winter, I’m involved with a Sunday football side and this year we’ve had about 6 weeks where Durham County Council closed all their pitches, in previous years they’ve just left it to clubs. So of course I sympathise with clubs, many who rely on unpaid volunteers to get the work done, but I think ultimately most leagues won’t have the space/capacity to delay by a couple of weeks if they want to fulfill their fixtures and with promotion playoffs to fit in at the end of the season there isn’t any wriggle room to start with.

Durham league now announced they are moving fixtures. Moved it to Monday May 27th. Just waiting for the first team to announce their ground is unavailable that day due to a function. You'd like to think they have consulted all clubs...

Durham league now announced they are moving fixtures. Moved it to Monday May 27th. Just waiting for the first team to announce their ground is unavailable that day due to a function. You'd like to think they have consulted all clubs...
Can’t have it both ways. People complained about double weekends do the season was moved forward, then complaints about not being ready due to weather.

Only other option in this case is award each team 5 points and don’t replay.

Years ago,the DSL experimented with league fixtures played over 2 consecutive midweek nights,the then 5 hours allocated spread evenly over the 2 nights.Would resurrecting this offer a solution?

Years ago,the DSL experimented with league fixtures played over 2 consecutive midweek nights,the then 5 hours allocated spread evenly over the 2 nights.Would resurrecting this offer a solution?
Seems a bit much to expect people to be able to commit to two nights in a row.

Might suit a few single young lads but not sure about the average village cricketer

Back