Unlucky England Players

Morgan got the right arse when he didn't run a bye off the last ball in a T20 in NZ to ensure he remained Not Out and helped his stats - after the game Morgan came out absolutely spitting feathers about him and saying he doesn't want that sort of character in his side. Think that's what's done for Malan.

Ben Foakes. Got a chance. Delivered. Dropped
Scott Borthwick. One test in a demoralised side (whether you think he is good enough or not that’s not a chance)
Michael Carberry
David Willey. Played well for years. Odd man out in World Cup squad
James Hildreth. 17,000 first class runs at 42. No test chance
Sam Hain. Averages 61 in list A cricket. No cap

Carberry in particular is a great shout given his effort in 13/14.

Chris Read always stood out for me as lacking chances at a time when Gerraint Jones failed for a while.

Scott Borthwick. One test in a demoralised side (whether you think he is good enough or not that’s not a chance)
Michael Carberry
Sam hains record is something, shocking he's not been picked for a tour yet

Morgan got the right arse when he didn't run a bye off the last ball in a T20 in NZ to ensure he remained Not Out and helped his stats - after the game Morgan came out absolutely spitting feathers about him and saying he doesn't want that sort of character in his side. Think that's what's done for Malan.

I heard this too, and rightly so if he thinks his stats are more important than his team.

Sam hains record is something, shocking he's not been picked for a tour yet

Hain has tons for the Lions as well. Does Joe Denly have compromising photos of Ed Smith?

Toby Roland Jones
I heard this too, and rightly so if he thinks his stats are more important than his team.

He'd just hit 100 off 48 balls, if Morgan has peddled him from the team over a single bye he's a bell end

Last edited:
I thought Malan was unlucky to be jettisoned from the test team so quickly given he was about the only player to come back from Australia in 2017/18 with any credit.

Chris Read is another decent shout but he performed no better than Jones when he was called upon, albeit long overdue.

Englands treatment of Ben Foakes has been nothing short of shocking.
It was the same with Chris Read tbh. There's no reason not to pick the best wk when your keeper batsmen are consistently hitting low twenties. The additional catches would make more of a difference than the additional rins surely?

Dawid Malan must just about top the list of players most done over by the England selectors.

His recent T20 stats are unreal - how does he not make this side ahead of Denly??
andy caddick took ten wickets in what turned out to be his last test.

irrelavent but I thought it was unlucky
Englands treatment of Ben Foakes has been nothing short of shocking.
His chance is coming again though

Stuart Law, the embarrassment of riches the Aussies had at their disposal meant he only ever played one test, scored an unbeaten 50 so doesn’t even have an average. Finished with a first class average of 51. If he’d been English I reckon he’d have played 100 tests. The likes of Di Venuto, Hodge, Love would also probably have been fine test cricketers.

edit - just reread the thread title, they were all English if you go back far enough ☺️

Last edited:
Sid Lawrence. Not sure if it’s on YouTube but the lads scream was horrifying and the injury finished his career

simon Jones was unlucky with injury as well.

I thought Ian Botham's tenure as captain was unlucky. Two series against the best West Indies side there's probably ever been, resulting in a 1-0 home and 2-0 away defeats, weren't too bad.

Those two tests against Australia, we came close the winning and drawing level in the 2nd test. He wasn't as bad a captain as the stats would have you believe.

It was right that Brearley took over, though. Botham's confidence, and that of the team, were shot, and when you have probably the best captain on the planet available, it's a no-brainer.

Michael Carberry
Hain has the highest list A batting average of all time. And this isn't just a strong start of 5-6 games this is over a period of 60+ games.
Crazy he hasn't had a look in.

Back