University Students

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mine said his dad's an arsehole and he's going back for the 2nd year whether the lectures are online or not

Said arsehole then pointed out that the bars will probably still be closed if the Uni is... Ah shit....

At university open days, of which I went to many a couple of years back, all, without fail, pushed the quality of teaching, face to face and small interactive seminar/tutorials with experts in their field, the incredible facilities available to use and the whole life experience of going to university. So what they are now saying is that you can have exactly the same quality of experience doing an online course....for exactly the same price. If people want to study online they`ll do an Open University course for a fraction of the price. Failing to discount this academic term and next will be a major mistake and is grossly unfair to the students who will get a vastly inferior experience. That`s not even including those students who have signed up to a house/accommodation for next year and may not even be able to occupy it. The government MUST step in here.

At university open days, of which I went to many a couple of years back, all, without fail, pushed the quality of teaching, face to face and small interactive seminar/tutorials with experts in their field, the incredible facilities available to use and the whole life experience of going to university. So what they are now saying is that you can have exactly the same quality of experience doing an online course....for exactly the same price. If people want to study online they`ll do an Open University course for a fraction of the price. Failing to discount this academic term and next will be a major mistake and is grossly unfair to the students who will get a vastly inferior experience. That`s not even including those students who have signed up to a house/accommodation for next year and may not even be able to occupy it. The government MUST step in here.

They’re still doing all of the small interactive tutorials. It’s only the lectures moving online.

They’re still doing all of the small interactive tutorials. It’s only the lectures moving online.
Not in a lot of universities. many are closing their doors certainly for the first term next year and possibly for the whole year.

I’m not sure those who run the bars and clubs in Durham feel that way. I’m sure Tarquin and Emily are very annoying if you’re a 50-year-old bloke in a polo shirt, but students aren’t known for being frugal with their loans and often spaff it on beer and kebabs.
:D :D I love the way the good old SMB assumes everyone going to a University is called Tarquin, especially if it is a top one. Every University/student thread has to mention this fictional Tarquin bloke. I can't say I've ever met anyone called that.
Too many universities fighting over not enough money. I wonder how many will go to the wall?
It is worrying. Someone said the smaller Universities earlier in the thread, but this analysis paints a different picture:

The spreadsheet is worth a look, with the second tab (sector analysis) showing a ranking of who is most at risk. Bear in mind these figures are pre-covid and are just looking at the impact caused by Brexit and reduced numbers of 18 year olds. Students deferring and a global financial crisis could paint a far grimmer picture. On the other hand, if employment drops drastically as is expected, then many young people may opt for University while interest rates are low and job prospects are poor.

In the top 25 of that league table are some fair sized institutes. I've marked the current league positions in brackets for some. Northampton, West Of Scotland, Queen Margaret, Essex (44th), Oxford Brookes (51st), Swansea (35th), Surry (23rd), Kent (49th), Stirling (43rd), Leicester (44th), London Business School, and Sunderland are all in there. Percentage wise, York, Bristol and Goldsmiths are not too far behind Sunderland.

Quite a few of those have really plummeted down the league table. Both Kent and Leicester were in the 20-25 range 5 years ago and now find themselves in the mid to lower 40s. I know both head heavy links to the EU for both student recruitment and research grants.

Almost everyone wrote off a term worth of student rent and have lost their money spinning conference season. The government rejected a £2b bailout, which was mainly about covid but to many I suspect it was a bit of an excuse for help. It was rejected. If shared equally between the 101 Universities with a positive at risk score, it would have seen help of £20m each.

Last edited:
:D :D I love the way the good old SMB assumes everyone going to a University is called Tarquin, especially if it is a top one. Every University/student thread has to mention this fictional Tarquin bloke. I can't say I've ever met anyone called that.

I never met a Tarquin either, but I did have a posh bloke in my class we used to take the piss out of. I’ve just googled him and discovered he’s Lloyd Nicholas Tyrell-Kenyon, 7th Lord Kenyon, Baron of Gredington

It is worrying. Someone said the smaller Universities earlier in the thread, but this analysis paints a different picture:

The spreadsheet is worth a look, with the second tab (sector analysis) showing a ranking of who is most at risk. Bear in mind these figures are pre-covid and are just looking at the impact caused by Brexit and reduced numbers of 18 year olds. Students deferring and a global financial crisis could paint a far grimmer picture. On the other hand, if employment drops drastically as is expected, then many young people may opt for University while interest rates are low and job prospects are poor.

In the top 25 of that league table are some fair sized institutes. I've marked the current league positions in brackets for some. Northampton, West Of Scotland, Queen Margaret, Essex (44th), Oxford Brookes (51st), Swansea (35th), Surry (23rd), Kent (49th), Stirling (43rd), Leicester (44th), London Business School, and Sunderland are all in there. Percentage wise, York, Bristol and Goldsmiths are not too far behind Sunderland.

Quite a few of those have really plummeted down the league table. Both Kent and Leicester were in the 20-25 range 5 years ago and now find themselves in the mid to lower 40s. I know both head heavy links to the EU for both student recruitment and research grants.

Almost everyone wrote off a term worth of student rent and have lost their money spinning conference season. The government rejected a £2b bailout, which was mainly about covid but to many I suspect it was a bit of an excuse for help. It was rejected. If shared equally between the 101 Universities with a positive at risk score, it would have seen help of £20m each.

It’s just a good name to imply a posh student there mate.

How did they finance back when fees weren’t a thing and overseas students were minimal?

There have always been fees although they were paid by your LEA. The figure £550 rings a bell but I can't remember if that was per term or per year (86 - 88).
I would defer, like. Some of university life is around the experiences and friends you make while there. You'll be missing out on so much by not attending the campus or being able to mingle with new people.

In terms of kids deferring, I understand it from the diminished experience point of view but what else are they going to do? The opportunities for personal development are very limited so it's basically spending an entire year doing pretty much fuck all... a complete waste of a year of your life.

There's also an assumption here that things will return to normality. What if they don't? Or on the flip-side, what if they return to normality at Christmas and this years intake has only lost 10 weeks of jolly japes?

Last edited:
There have always been fees although they were paid by your LEA. The figure £550 rings a bell but I can't remember if that was per term or per year (86 - 88).

In terms of kids deferring, I understand it from the diminished experience point of view but what else are they going to do? The opportunities for personal development are very limited so it's basically spending an entire year doing pretty much fuck all... a complete waste of a year of your life.

There's also an assumption here that things will return to normality. What if they don't? Or on the flip-side, what if they return to normality at Christmas and this years intake has only lost 10 weeks of jolly japes?
Could get a part time job and save up some money for when they go. Even disregarding the social aspect, I'd not be paying the price of a year at uni for a diminished experience (i.e. not being allowed on campus for lectures or to access resources).

Could get a part time job and save up some money for when they go. Even disregarding the social aspect, I'd not be paying the price of a year at uni for a diminished experience (i.e. not being allowed on campus for lectures or to access resources).

But, how long do you continue? It's quite possible that the big (100+ people) lectures won't be happening face to face for a couple of years, at least.

But, how long do you continue? It's quite possible that the big (100+ people) lectures won't be happening face to face for a couple of years, at least.
Dunno, mate. Personally I wouldn't be going this year but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even a part time job is going to be a struggle: retail and leisure are on their collective arse. The whole thing smacks of "who moved my cheese" to me: you can hope/wait for a return to better times or adapt to the here and now.

Even a part time job is going to be a struggle: retail and leisure are on their collective arse. The whole thing smacks of "who moved my cheese" to me: you can hope/wait for a return to better times or adapt to the here and now.
No doubt. Each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back