University Students

Big Jeff

Winger
Cambridge university has announced that its lectures will move online from October.

Students are angry they will miss out on the other aspects of collegiate life. (Like sex,drugs and reading pretentious Russian literature.)

Given that these people will go on to shape our society should we be doing more to help the overall development of our future leaders?

The worry for my University, and probably all, is that we're expecting lots of the new intake of students to defer. I don't blame them, I'd probably do the same. BBC said 1 in 5 are considering it. On top of that there will be a massive reduction in international enrolment. All of this will mean cash black holes for Universities. Some smaller institutions are going to be on the brink.

Methven did indeed go to Oxford (after Eton) where he read Theology at Exeter College.

But i was thinking of proper leaders not football club gaffers.
The worry for my University, and probably all, is that we're expecting lots of the new intake of students to defer. I don't blame them, I'd probably do the same. BBC said 1 in 5 are considering it. On top of that there will be a massive reduction in international enrolment. All of this will mean cash black holes for Universities. Some smaller institutions are going to be on the brink.
The colleges are refusing to lower fees. Chinese students are reportedly baulking at the idea of paying fees for what will be seen as a sub standard learning experience.
And where will the next group of hilarious comedians come from if colleges start to close.

It hardly bears thinking about.

Last edited:
Methven did indeed go to Oxford (after Eton) where he read Theology at Exeter College.

But i was thinking of proper leaders not football club gaffers.

The colleges are refusing to lower fees. Chinese students are reportedly baulking at the idea of paying fees for what will be seen as a sub standard learning experience.
And where will the next group of hilarious comedians come from if colleges start to close.

It hardly bears thinking about.

Looks like you're ready to fill the gap in the market.

Apart from the millions they must have sitting in the bank from when fees began.

If I was a student I’d be deferring for the year, at best it’s going to be a right fuck on, at worst students are going to be stumping up the best part of 14 grand for uni’s they can’t attend and digs it’s pointless living in.

Even if they do go it seems pointless taking digs, may as well live at home and travel
In for the day when they must

This may also be a benefit to some universities if they manage this correctly. Some courses are classroom based and don’t always offer an online/ distance alternative.
If they open courses up to online learning, more people may choose to study.

It's been well known that some were close to the financial brink before this even began. Rumoured to include one in the North East.

Deferring is going to have a massive knock on effect with regard to next year's potential intake as well.

Any course with a lab or clinical component is going to be difficult to teach as well and, further up the system, lab based PhD students are going to find it difficult to get the necessary time or space in the lab.
This may also be a benefit to some universities if they manage this correctly. Some courses are classroom based and don’t always offer an online/ distance alternative.
If they open courses up to online learning, more people may choose to study.

This is the potential upside. Depending on how they do things, it gives people more of an opportunity to do things in their own time, which will benefit those with childcare issues, those wanting to study for a degree whilst working etc.

The major downside is that, for the 18 to 21 year olds, who make up the vast majority of every university year, they miss out on the social side of things (plus experimenting with cooking etc.), which is as much a part of university life as studying is.

Last edited:
They could just do distance learning combined with night courses at the university of life.

And most towns have bars/ nighclubs where you can drink watered down lager,listen to indie records and shag a disease ridden skank in a back lane against an industrial sized bin anyway.

No need to travel halfway down the country

The idea that students will have to be in a physical location in order to learn a subject is probably over and has been for a while. There are already loads of lectures on most subjects available for free. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I think certainly to some people university life offers a lot more outside of just the learning on a course.

The idea that students will have to be in a physical location in order to learn a subject is probably over and has been for a while. There are already loads of lectures on most subjects available for free. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I think certainly to some people university life offers a lot more outside of just the learning on a course.

Whet makes you think that? I’m sure during normal times there are hundreds of thousands of students enrolled at university, the vast majority living near and attending lectures on campus.

I can’t see that ending when they’re allowed to re-open. Young people are very social people and will want to get back to drinking, bucking and finishing essays at 5am the day they’re due.

Whet makes you think that? I’m sure during normal times there are hundreds of thousands of students enrolled at university, the vast majority living near and attending lectures on campus.

I can’t see that ending when they’re allowed to re-open. Young people are very social people and will want to get back to drinking, bucking and finishing essays at 5am the day they’re due.
Well yes, that's the historical model. Much the same as hundreds of thousands of people have been going into offices before this and are now working from home. Everything isn't possible remotely but a lot can be done in that model, it will have some benefits and probably some drawbacks and I doubt everything will go back to the previous model, maybe be a hybrid.

I am sure some will yes, which is what I said university isn't just about learning on a course, there is a lot around that.

Well yes, that's the historical model. Much the same as hundreds of thousands of people have been going into offices before this and are now working from home. Everything isn't possible remotely but a lot can be done in that model, it will have some benefits and probably some drawbacks and I doubt everything will go back to the previous model, maybe be a hybrid.

I am sure some will yes, which is what I said university isn't just about learning on a course, there is a lot around that.

The degree is but a small part of it. It’s a piece of paper saying you’re just barely competent enough in any given field to go outside and find someone to pay you for it.

I’d hate to think people were (en masse) living at home and missing out on the wider aspects of it.

Back