University Challenge

So, you're saying that, if the best 4 competitors from the Oxford colleges each year and the best 4 competitors from the Cambridge colleges each year, there wouldn't be close to a duopoly of winners? There'd be more universities getting on TV but virtually all of the series winners would be Oxford or Cambridge.
I'm saying having multiple teams from Oxbridge gives them a better chance of winning than just 1 from each, even though that single team might be stronger (marginally, the teams are generally strong anyway)

IMO IIRC

Reading off that toytown screen on the desk is just wrong, makes him seem like he's not really talking directly to them at all, just reading from a really obvious autocue. They need to go back to the cards.

I'm saying having multiple teams from Oxbridge gives them a better chance of winning than just 1 from each, even though that single team might be stronger (marginally, the teams are generally strong anyway)

IMO IIRC

I think we might have to disagree on this. I can't see too much being messed with as far as the entry criteria for the teams or general quiz format are concerned anyway.

I never ever get any of the science questions things like.....

"In cytogenetics, what term describes the entire chromosomal complement of a cell which may be observed during mitotic metaphase?"

(Answer is: Karyotype)

Watched it the other night, OU against some Oxford lot . OU totally out of their depth and picked on diversity criteria i think . Got embarrassing and it was evident the questions they got were being dumbed down to keep it respectable in the end . Even i got a few.

Currently plucky Northeastern University doing their best on University Challenge. I got all excited and thought we had a new NE Uni to rival Northumbria, Durham etc.
Googled them and I'm not even close.
St Katherines dock, London.

Last edited:
Currently plucky Northeastern University doing their best on University Challenge. I got all excited and thought we had a new NE Uni to rival Northumbria, Durham etc.
Googled them and I'm not even close.
St Katherines dock, London.
You must have missed the start then. They did well for an institution of 500 students.

Back