Universities exaggerate their status......

Newcastle being one of them......no surprise there, universities really are just marketing machines and businesses at heart. Not the romanticised place of improving your life prospects, but places that don't necessarily prepare you for work and people just end up in lots of debt.....

Apprenticeships need greater reverence in society than academical routes into work.

Universities warned over advert claims

I wish I'd had the same terms for every loan I ever had.

Newcastle being one of them......no surprise there, universities really are just marketing machines and businesses at heart. Not the romanticised place of improving your life prospects, but places that don't necessarily prepare you for work and people just end up in lots of debt.....

Apprenticeships need greater reverence in society than academical routes into work.

Universities warned over advert claims
Becoming massively business orientated, gear themselves towards attracting rich, who pretty much just buy a degree.

Modern society wouldn’t exist without a university system
I never went to uni ( only git bright people did back in the day).One of my sons is first ever to go from our family(maths) and i am very proud of him.I got very few exam results of note and realise now education in the right subjects can open doors and no reason our kids shouldt access it as well.
If i had me time again i would stick in a bit more.

to be fair, I think he has a point. never used to be a shortage of brickies, plasterers, plumbers, car mechanics etc

I agree he has a point.

There should be more apprenticeships, including in non traditional trades.

Software engineering for example. I think loads of people can do better there if they go into work based training and study for quals alongside that.

Sorry buddy, I'm on about a couple of girlfriends my nephew has had, one of which asked me if a pottery dish was metallic as this was a no,no for a microwave , I think my point is many,many more kids go to Uni now, it's not exactly at the 30k mark it was in the 50's , when all places were probs taken up be the elite. It's pretty much worth very little at the cost of being in debted and a lot of these sheep are voting for Corbyn ? So yes simpletons.

Ah the old, 'Someone has a different opinion to me so they must be brainwashed' excuse.

I agree he has a point.

Software engineering for example. I think loads of people can do better there if they go into work based training and study for quals alongside that.

Some universities are now doing ‘Apprenticeship degrees’. From what I can gather, they are similar to day release apprenticeships offered by some companies which teach both vocational and traditional classroom work.

I agree he has a point.

I agree, as long as they are good apprenticeships.

My grandson done a year with corillion on an apprenticeship and it was rubbish and it was going to lead to nothing, that's why he left after a year.(left before its collapse)

Also the introduction of intergrated foundation degrees is an interesting one. These are advertised as for people, who don’t quite get the grades to go straight onto a degree. The only difference is you must pay for 4 years of uni fees.

4 years of free £10k or so. Canny deal to be fair.

I never went to uni ( only git bright people did back in the day).One of my sons is first ever to go from our family(maths) and i am very proud of him.I got very few exam results of note and realise now education in the right subjects can open doors and no reason our kids shouldt access it as well.
If i had me time again i would stick in a bit more.
Class for the lad, hope he’s enjoying it and broadening his horizons.

Universities are the enormous bubble which will have to burst eventually.

They've expanded massively chasing as much student loan money as they can get, but most of that money will never be paid back and eventually it will be unsustainable for the taxpayer to pick up the bill.

Students will eventually start realising that it's not worth taking three years out of their careers and 50k debt (even if they never pay most of it back) for a 2.1 is sports studies or gender studies from the University of Midwest England.

They'll probably start being sued as it becomes more blatantly obvious that it's a scam to rope in thousands of people a year to do degrees in forensic pathology when there are only a few hundred jobs in the field in the entire country.

It's obviously a fundamentally failing system when we have far, far more people going to university than ever before yet have chronic shortages of doctors and engineers and so on.

The sooner the plug is pulled on the whole system the better because the more we keep expanding the bubble the more disastrous it will be when it eventually bursts.

Universities are the enormous bubble which will have to burst eventually.

They've expanded massively chasing as much student loan money as they can get, but most of that money will never be paid back and eventually it will be unsustainable for the taxpayer to pick up the bill.

Students will eventually start realising that it's not worth taking three years out of their careers and 50k debt (even if they never pay most of it back) for a 2.1 is sports studies or gender studies from the University of Midwest England.

They'll probably start being sued as it becomes more blatantly obvious that it's a scam to rope in thousands of people a year to do degrees in forensic pathology when there are only a few hundred jobs in the field in the entire country.

It's obviously a fundamentally failing system when we have far, far more people going to university than ever before yet have chronic shortages of doctors and engineers and so on.

The sooner the plug is pulled on the whole system the better because the more we keep expanding the bubble the more disastrous it will be when it eventually bursts.
Talking shite with no facts or figures

Back