Universities exaggerate their status......

University education should be free for all British people.

It will help to eradicate the ignorance of certain sections of society.
It is free, you even get free spending money. Sure you get taxed more once you're earning over £25k but its still a great deal.

The one I work for, advertised as being in the top 10 of a certain subject area in the country.

There are only 8 institutions offering that subject area in the country, and we came 8th out of that list.....
I worked at a university in Newcastle for a bit and noticed some of the 'top 10 university' claims were a bit sneaky. Think there was one big poster 'top 10 international university' in big writing, then 'for student satisfaction' in some specific subject area much smaller underneath.

I worked at a university in Newcastle for a bit and noticed some of the 'top 10 university' claims were a bit sneaky. Think there was one big poster 'top 10 international university' in big writing, then 'for student satisfaction' in some specific subject area much smaller underneath.

I haven't got any axe to grind for universities but when you consider people's vocational prospects after university. For every academic success story there's dozens of other graduates in thousands of pounds of debt without any skills that prepares them for working life.
There'll come a time when graduates will be serving food in McDonald's.

What needs to happen is industries need to work closer with schools and colleges on apprentice like schemes and it needs to become the mainstream route into work.

I haven't got any axe to grind for universities but when you consider people's vocational prospects after university. For every academic success story there's dozens of other graduates in thousands of pounds of debt without any skills that prepares them for working life.

What needs to happen is industries need to work closer with schools and colleges on apprentice like schemes and it needs to become the mainstream route into work.

Any graduate should come out of uni with a load of skills that have prepared them for working life. You can't get through a course without picking those up, you'd fail.

As has been pointed out anyway, the idea of university is not to prepare people for work.

was contacted by one wanting info to help a phd student. Arranged a meeting and someone I hadn't invited accepted. Looked him up on linkedin and he's business development manager, ie he wants cash off us as well. Totally changed my mindset ahead of a meeting I was looking forward to

Hold on. For every academic success story there are dozens which aren’t? So it’s only worthwhile for a few percent? Your posts are always cliche filled, sixth form politics level bollocks but to suggest university is a waste of time for the majority who go, is absurd.

Coventry are a shocker for doing this

Class for the lad, hope he’s enjoying it and broadening his horizons.
Thank you..seems to be having the time of his life...girlfriend from sheffield( no) .....who he would not have met but for uni...sporting side great....socially good...and so far so good on results.cheers marra

The problem with the way it was is that it wasn't the best students that got the places at uni before it was the wealthiest.

If anything what this book shows is that anyone can go to uni and therefore uni is a load of shit for everyone, what the right wing elite want it to show is that they were superior all along, which it doesn't.

I know of a lot of 'thickies' going to university, it's all a scam to get into the system via the debt IMO.

edit: and to take folk down a certain political route.
I know of a lot of 'thickies' going to university, it's all a scam to get into the system via the debt IMO.

edit: and to take folk down a certain political route.
Watching too much Alf Garnett comrade.

Hold on. For every academic success story there are dozens which aren’t? So it’s only worthwhile for a few percent? Your posts are always cliche filled, sixth form politics level bollocks but to suggest university is a waste of time for the majority who go, is absurd.

You're right its not the majority, its 42% of graduates by their own admission believe they will never earn enough to pay-off the debts they aquire. And thats whilst they are optimistic!

Almost half of recent graduates believe they will never be able to pay back their student loan in full

All i'm suggesting is the system needs to be balanced out with more vocational qualifications as a route into work. That way we wont have a whole generation of people feeling short-changed having completed any old BA/BSc without a job at the end of it.
Apprenticeships are not a dirty word, (and neither are degrees), its just the country is missing-a-trick by placing so much emphasis on the academical route.

Back