Unfashionable players we need

Brett Angell . . . a non goalscoring centre forward would fit in only too well.

If we are talking about unfashionable and effective in a position we could do with someone in, Carl Robinson.

I think unfashionable needs some clarity here as I’ve seen Schwarz, Bould and Reyna mentioned and they are arguably up there with the very best we’ve had in the last 25 years!

Whitehead is a good shout. Very good midfielder at this level and competent in the top flight. I’d take Paul Butler at centre half as well. Strong, did the basics very well. Liam Miller another very tidy, tenacious and combative turn in the middle of the park as well, god rest him
Paul Butler is exactly the sort of player I was thinking of here! Part of the point was that we don’t necessarily need flashy big name signings, some solid competent, perhaps under rated players. The sort of thing you might expect a data driven approach to find.

Winchester is probably a recent league 1 example. The obvious follow up question is who could we sign now that fits this bill? Underrated, undervalued but fills a gap in our team?

Last edited:
Add Jody Craddock to that.. What a pairing. (Not that O9 and DB aren't good. Suppose Williams could play CDM.
Craddock was great! Mostly…
Quinn was very unfashionable when we signed him of that is what the OP means.

Would walk into our team now unfortunatley :lol:
I thought about writing Quinn but everyone had heard of him and he’d been good at big clubs, so decided Dichio fit the bill better. But you’re right, Quinn was far from universally acclaimed ar the time and sure there was a few mentions of “donkey”

The obvious follow up question is who could we sign now that fits this bill? Underrated, undervalued but fills a gap in our team?
I've always really liked Cameron Brannagan at Oxford. The football was often turgid in league one (we were just as guilty for the most part) but every now & then we'd come up against a team who had a player that you thought "he's too good for this level."
Ivan Toney is an obvious one, absolutely tortured us before he moved up the leagues but Brannagan impressed me everytime we played them. I can't believe he's still down there in that shit league, he's a poor man's Declan Rice. He'd be a great cm partner for Dan Neil imo.

I still think we should have taken a chance on Langstaff in January as well especially when the alternative was to go with what we had & the money we spunked on Hjelde probably would have landed him. I know spending £1.5/2m on a 27yr old league 2 player is financial madness but if it hadn't worked out someone in league one would give you half/3 quarters of a million for him. Hope I'm wrong but I can't see us recouping a bean on Hjelde despite age being on his side.

Put Dean Whitehead alongside Dan Neil in this team we’re in the play offs.

Given we’re lacking a centre forward. Stern John.

The ball just stuck, remember an interview with Keane where he said as much. If you look back, he was right.

Controversial perhaps but Marco was just a kid from a third division also ran club.
Pascoe was the final piece of our attacking jigsaw that season and a good solid player too.

Controversial perhaps but Marco was just a kid from a third division also ran club.
Pascoe was the final piece of our attacking jigsaw that season and a good solid player too.
Pascoe is a good call too. Interesting how many of our better signings have been relative unknowns (Marco, Stewart)

Back