Unfashionable players we need

what unspectacular or unfashionable players from our past would fill the gaps in our team at the moment?

Suggestions below!

I’ll start with

Dean Whitehead. Free transfer from Oxford. Nowt flash, but a key part in promotion. Would add some solidity to our young midfield

Seb Larson
Wayne Entwistle
Those times when we celebrated a player just because he sounded class and wore our shirt!( to be fair he wasn’t bad and was far better than ……)
Sunderland fans were nuts back in those days and really did get behind anyone remotely half decent ….happy days

I didn’t rate him

Last edited:
I don't think Dean Whitehead was a free transfer, sure we paid about 200k. Anyway he was one of those players who liked passing sideways or backwards, so not sure I'd want him. Scored one or two good goals though. You're right though he was unspectacular.

I'll chip in with Claudio Reyna. I think he fits the criteria. He was much better than given credit for.

I'd also suggest Schwarz but you could argue he was fashionable as Arsenal fans rated him.

If we're going with Dichio may as well stick Kyle in the mix, although many didn't rate him I thoght he did ok, tried hard, put himself about and did score a few goals.

Back