Underrated test cricketers.

Elgar the obvious one on that list but must admit I hadn’t realised his recent record was so good. Watling deserves special praise purely for those initials.

Right, so there's obviously no definitive way to decide if a player is underrated or not.”

Think that ultimately sums it up, it’s all subjective. I’d argue Holder isn’t underrated, certainly in cricketing punditry circles he’s been lauded for quite some time as I recall.

Swann still for me

As good an off spinner I have seen.

Collingwood too

BJ Watling is underated but not by me, I'd take him over anyone in an world XI
Ditto on Swann, how many times did he take a wicket in his first over of a spell.

Colly too. Always seems to be just 1 innings away frpm being dropped but not many Test batsmen have an away 200 and still fewer got there with a six.

Swann still for me

As good an off spinner I have seen.

Collingwood too

BJ Watling is underated but not by me, I'd take him over anyone in an world XI
Don’t think Swann is underrated. A truly world class off spin bowler. The fact he’s an absolute grade A walloper shouldn’t alter the fact.
Colly was a player who made the absolute most of what he had. Far more talented players have never had close to the career he had.

This is going to sound odd. But bear with me

Virender Sehwag

averages nearly 50 and with 3 triples (I think), but never mentioned alongside Tendulkar, Dravid or Kohli.
That was my point about Kallis, never mentioned alongside Botham, Kapil Dev, Imran Khan, Flintoff.

Don’t think Swann is underrated. A truly world class off spin bowler. The fact he’s an absolute grade A walloper shouldn’t alter the fact.
Colly was a player who made the absolute most of what he had. Far more talented players have never had close to the career he had.
Proves the point as the thread is about underrated cricketers. Many of the comments on Colly over the years point to a lack of talent (not the right word) compared to other players, e.g. "making the most of what he had" is damning by faint praise and he had that all the way through. But, if you look back on what he achieved he's undoubtedly a better cricketer than the general consensus allows for, ie "underrated".

Back