Underrated durham players

Excellent player
Played with him when he moved from sacriston to phili
Next year he was at Durham. Had some really bad back injuries iirc which held him back a bit
I heard he was a bit of a lazy bugga when at Durham even though he had way more talent than others - this was from an ex-Durham player of that era. Reckoned Colly, wh wa only a pup at the time. Wasn't the best but his attitude was unbelievable and you could see him improving month on month and overtaking more naturally talented players.

I'd say an average of 29 where he bats is fine. People on here used to rave when Stoneman was opening and averaging about 32. You used to criticise Ryan Pringle for averaging 27 as well. Not really sure to this day how you come to that conclusion. Hey ho
Anyone who is picked for their batting needs to be averaging around 40 to justify their place.

Even then it would only contribute to a team total of around 300, which doesn’t win you many games

Anyone who is picked for their batting needs to be averaging around 40 to justify their place.

Even then it would only contribute to a team total of around 300, which doesn’t win you many games

not many justifying their places then at county level. zak crawley averaged 34 and is playing for england

Last edited:
not many justifying their places then at county level.
Nobody this year.

But it’s a fact that if you average 40 or more you’ll generally get a contract, if you don’t then you might last 3 years.
not many justifying their places then at county level. zak crawley averaged 34 and is playing for england
He’s at the start of his career and will be improving year on year, if he wasn’t then he’d get released.

There’s such a thing as journeymen and that’s the type who get one deal and then released when they don’t come up to scratch

Last edited:
Nobody this year.

But it’s a fact that if you average 40 or more you’ll generally get a contract, if you don’t then you might last 3 years.

He’s at the start of his career and will be improving year on year, if he wasn’t then he’d get released.

There’s such a thing as journeymen and that’s the type who get one deal and then released when they don’t come up to scratch

wasn't many in 2018 either
our opening test batsman went from 64 to 37 at county level between 2018 to 2019

Last edited:
Your namesake is a case in point, 150 odd games for an average of 30 ...... not good enough

you're speaking for about 80% of the county championship to be honest maybe even more which is a sign of how badly neglected red ball cricket is now in this country
You can quote lots of examples, but as a general rule 40 is a benchmark and to consistently average less, when picked as a batsman, is not good enough

I'm not disputing your benchmark, I'm merely saying their isn't many good enough which is what I've said for years now about red ball cricket in this country

wasn't many in 2018 either
our opening test batsman went from 64 to 37 at county level between 2018 to 2019
So he averaged 64, that is very good
you're speaking for about 80% of the county championship to be honest maybe even more which is a sign of how badly neglected red ball cricket is now in this country

I'm not disputing your benchmark, I'm merely saying their isn't many good enough which is what I've said for years now about red ball cricket in this country

Don’t forget the Test team don’t really play in the Championship any more so they’d obviously be averaging over 40, given a chance.

The championship is poorer for lack of overseas internationals and English Test players.

I think we are basically agreeing, just coming at it from different angles

Last edited:
So he averaged 64, that is very good

Don’t forget the Test team don’t really play in the Championship any more so they’d obviously be averaging over 40, given a chance.

The championship is poorer for lack of overseas internationals and English Test players.

I think we are basically agreeing, just coming at it from different angles

Burns batted 16 times last season and averaged 37, down from 64 the previous year.

We've neglected red ball cricket, shame really but I tend to not expect high standards now because the ECB don't have high standards themselves.

Burns batted 16 times last season and averaged 37, down from 64 the previous year.

We've neglected red ball cricket, shame really but I tend to not expect high standards now because the ECB don't have high standards themselves.
Don't forget the counties Whed when it comes to neglecting red ball cricket. It's clear after this week that some counties didn't even want to play any with 2 months if the season available.

Back