Underrated durham players

On the few occasions I saw him I always though Hickey looked good and I was a bit surprised when he was let go. One of the victims of the financial situation I suppose.

Its a hard one. Cricket is a sport where individuals performances are recorded objectively. The stats don’t lie.
If you look at Flintoff's stats they aren't great (in terms of 5 wicket hauls etc) but he had the ability to turn a game.

I guess you might have an ok average but still get the runs/wickets when your team really needed them, the opposite of a flat track bully

Martin Saggers. Promising seamer who never got a chance off Boon iirc
Will Gidman. Best allrounder in Div2 after he left us. Just so happened to play in one of them squads with staggering levels of depth.

Usman Arshad. See above. Had some
Impressive stats to say he ended up on the scrap heap And out the first class game

statistically Callum Thorp and Mark Davies were hideously effective seam bowlers who probably didn’t get enough credit.

Trawling yearbooks has made me realise what a shocking team we had at the start of the millenium.... Symington, Pattison, Brenkley, Ryan Robinson, Danny Law........

Last edited:
Martin Saggers. Promising seamer who never got a chance off Boon iirc
Will Gidman. Best allrounder in Div2 after he left us. Just so happened to play in one of them squads with staggering levels of depth.

Usman Arshad. See above. Had some
Impressive stats to say he ended up on the scrap heap And out the first class game

statistically Callum Thorp and Mark Davies were hideously effective seam bowlers who probably didn’t get enough credit.

Trawling yearbooks has made me realise what a shocking team we had at the start of the millenium.... Symington, Pattison, Brenkley, Ryan Robinson, Danny Law........
Ryan Robinson! Christ even I forgot about him he was related to Alan Walker. One of the most curious signings of the early noughties was Vince Wells with the cunning plan that he could commute from Leicester up here for home games. Lasted about 3 months into 2 year deal.

Ryan Robinson! Christ even I forgot about him he was related to Alan Walker. One of the most curious signings of the early noughties was Vince Wells with the cunning plan that he could commute from Leicester up here for home games. Lasted about 3 months into 2 year deal.

The only thing I can remember about Ryan Robinson was that he almost became the first player to clear the Don Robson Pavilion when he hit a six at The Riverside in a limited overs match.

I still think we only signed Wells to stop him taking wickets/ scoring runs against us.

The only thing I can remember about Ryan Robinson was that he almost became the first player to clear the Don Robson Pavilion when he hit a six at The Riverside in a limited overs match.

I still think we only signed Wells to stop him taking wickets/ scoring runs against us.
Yeah Robinson had that one knock where he scored one of the fastest 50s for Durham then disappeared.
Wells was part of that Leicestershire team that used to destroy Durham for fun. I think he was last seen at the Riverside lying prone in the carpark when his back had gone.

Wells was a fine county cricketer with Leicestershire but was well past his best by the time he came up here. A forgettable stint.

Alan Walker had his moments!

Yes it was the bad signings that where repeatedly made in the late 90s and early noughties that did quite a few of those young unfulfilled talents no favours at all in terms of leadership.

There were quite a few that signed as they were approaching their latter years and seemed good signings at the time but never really performed - Roseberry, Speak, Speight, Hamilton, Wells..

Back