Under-fire Sunderland boss Poyet: I stand by my tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genuinely think some of his team selections are more to prove a point now rather than the good of the team, in the same way MON used to pick 6 subs. It's as if he's thought 'We've lost Johnson late on, if I go with 4 central midfielders, a centre back at right back and a right back at left back the public will think I've got no other options,' despite having a paced, direct left back on the bench, a winger in Alvarez and Wickham who he has played on the left most of he season.

There's no way this moron can be kept at the club after this season finishes.

He's extremely fortunate that there has been a dearth of replacements available or he'd have been sacked after the QPR game.

This is the only possible reason why he's still managing us. He's lost the plot, and he's coming across as a loony in interviews.
A very sad state of affairs, I really wanted Gus to work out for us. It's not going to happen, he just never learns.
He'll be gone at the end of the season, no doubt. Will it be too late, though? Hmmm...

Personally, I'd sack him and appoint one of our veteran players as player/coach until the end of the season. Gus is doing the team no favours with his manic bullshit,
and his sending off was embarrassing.

Oh aye it's far from sure that Poyet could do what we need. And you're right that stuff like the other night hardly paints him in a positive light. However, I'd disagree to some extent about the style of play stuff. I think there's a disconnect between what we want as NE football fans and what's best for us as a club in terms of long term progression. The 100mph stuff that usually goes over well isn't the best way forward for us. A patient, passing philosophy is better for development of young players and better for developing saleable assets (sadly, a critical part of our medium term future). It would also bring us more success in the long term IMO. That's not to say that Poyet isn't making a massive pigs ear of it ATM. However, there was a grain of truth in what he said the other week about us wanting kick and rush - even if it was horribly misguided to hold up the most successful team of the last 40 years as the example. And that style of football is certainly limiting for a club's progression in the modern PL.

He can start with Bridcut and Buckley.

I was pleased with a point, got beat 3 times by them last season

Getting a draw away from hone against the likes of the Hulls, Burnley's, QPRs, Leicester's etc are not a bad result.

Lot of supporters think you should go there and win easy but football isn't as simple as that.

But despite being happy to take a point your game plan has to have some level of attacking threat to possibly try and maximise it to a win - not to mention that if you are under constant pressure for a long period there's more chance of conceding and losing that point.

The first part re midfield is fair comment by Gus. Here on the 'team for' threads we pick our lineups but without knowing the state of fitness of the players. Gus said Alverez wasn't fit to play 90 mins, so saving him for later in the game was sensible.

But that only deals with part of it he still has questions to answer about the other choices.

Wickham left of midfield would have been more attacking than 4 CMs.

As would PVA at left back, and Rev is better on the right.

Personally I'd ask Bally to take over as he's done it before & the type of man you'd work for & respect. Some of the players have known him 5 years plus and I think we'd see a different mentality under him.

I don't think we have any, if we did and we lost then fair enough imo but we don't, except obviously we concede territory for the crack

He is hardly going to say his tactics are rubbish and he is doing a terrible job...if he didn't believe in his tactics he would change them!

Stood at the match on Tuesday I wanted the twat gone for the team selection and performance.....looking at it on reflection I think he's doing a decent job with an ageing defence and a squad that seems to be weakened year on year.

Next week, I'll want him gone again. Still learning as a manager in this league.

Stood at the match on Tuesday I wanted the twat gone for the team selection and performance.....looking at it on reflection I think he's doing a decent job with an ageing defence and a squad that seems to be weakened year on year.

Next week, I'll want him gone again. Still learning as a manager in this league.

Not quickly either.

Not quickly either.

I know what your saying, but he does very well and not losing games...and very poorly at winning games. I don't think we look seriously like going down and we can't keep firing managers. A better balance has to be found between holding out for a draw and going for the win. I'm actually convinced that he thinks the back 4 need protecting from themselves which is why the midfield sit so deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back