Un decimilasing the pound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd stick with metric. Though for decades i used both metric and imperial on tape measures, and still use both. I also use both miles and kilometres, and am happy to do so. I don't use kilograms though, and would be happy to ditch Stones and just adopt the American use of pounds. Like someones weight = 150 lbs, instead of 10st-6lbs. Simplify it.

The thread reminds me of my favourite footnote, by Pratchett of course...

"NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and one Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). One Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated."

Horses for courses that's why they kept furlongs, kept their hand in, would've been a mare otherwise

I remember walking to school the day it changed, using 'new money' in the shop. :cool:
Yes, we kept on going up to the corner shop - buying stuff (sweets) with old money so we could get shiny new decimal coins as our change
Can we go back to crowns and half crowns etc now that we’re free of the shackles of brussels?
The UK wasn't a member of EU/EEC when decimal currency was brought in

Last edited:
Yes, we kept on going up to the corner shop - buying stuff (sweets) with old money so we could get shiny new decimal coins as our change

The UK wasn't a member of EU/EEC when decimal currency was brought in
Sssh, history and facts have no place in anti-EU arguments.

My bet is that businesses will be free to use imperial measurements, but apart from a handful of market stall owners nobody will bother.

I'd stick with metric. Though for decades i used both metric and imperial on tape measures, and still use both. I also use both miles and kilometres, and am happy to do so. I don't use kilograms though, and would be happy to ditch Stones and just adopt the American use of pounds. Like someones weight = 150 lbs, instead of 10st-6lbs. Simplify it.
I’m a bit like that. A foot is a convenient measurement, so I’ll look and say that needs to be about 4ft long, but then buy and measure the wood in mm. Working out something as needing to be 265mm long and how many lengths of that I can cut from a few standard lengths in is far easier than thinking of something as so many feet, inches and sixteenths. Something works out to be 2160mm long, you can see a mile off that is just over 2m.

Sssh, history and facts have no place in anti-EU arguments.

My bet is that businesses will be free to use imperial measurements, but apart from a handful of market stall owners nobody will bother.
Dunno if this is the case anywhere else, but the local authority I work for (and all the local funeral directors) still use feet and inches for coffin measurements/grave sizes.

Should we also go back to separate miles for England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland?

I understand the old currency ok (for someone born 20 years after it was abolished), but I'm glad I didn't have to learn it. So much easier with decimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back