Un decimilasing the pound

Race horse owners would finally be able to spend their race winnings if we started using guineas again
Given what's just happened in Bristol, maybe not:

<< "Guinea" was not an official name for the coin, but much of the gold used to produce the early coins came from Guinea in Africa. The coin was produced each year between 1663 and 1684, with the elephant appearing on some coins each year from 1663 to 1665 and 1668, and the elephant and castle on some coins from 1674 or 1675 onward. The elephant, with or without the castle, symbolises the Royal African Company (founded in 1660), whose activities on the Guinea Coast of Africa resulted in the importation of much gold into England. >>

Anyway, pre decimalisation a £ was still a £, it was just the dividing units that were different.

The radgy remain lot keep telling us the £ is tanking & will be worthless, so if the £ does tank becomes the lowest unit in the same way Norway has done away with Ores then it won't make any difference

Sssh, history and facts have no place in anti-EU arguments.

My bet is that businesses will be free to use imperial measurements, but apart from a handful of market stall owners nobody will bother.

I’ve worked on jobs where the info on drawings is old and in imperial or provided by Americans, also in imperial. This is converted to mm before any forward modifications.

Pipe work standards is a mix of both metric and imperial but expressed in metric.

Last edited:
I would love to see young uns today trying to cope with;

12 pennies to a shilling
20 shillings to a pound
240 pennies to a pound
3 pennies to a three penny bit
2 three penny bits to a sixpence
2 sixpences to a shilling
five sixpences to half a crown
eight half crowns to a pound
ten two shilling pieces to a pound
two ten bob notes to a pound

I would make a fortune short changing them :D

It's about time time went metric. 100 seconds in a minute, 100 minutes in an hour, 10 hours in a day, 10 days in a week, 100 weeks in a year. ;) :lol:

I would love to see young uns today trying to cope with;

12 pennies to a shilling
20 shillings to a pound
240 pennies to a pound
3 pennies to a three penny bit
2 three penny bits to a sixpence
2 sixpences to a shilling
five sixpences to half a crown
eight half crowns to a pound
ten two shilling pieces to a pound
two ten bob notes to a pound

I would make a fortune short changing them :D
They should make ten Bob the value of about twenty quid.

Just so that you can go out and have a few beers and get a bus home And fish and chips for ten shillings.

So a pound is 40 quid

Might make payslips a bit depressing

Back